Wheel settings after update

Peter

who cares
All the old control sets are terminated with the update.

The advised settings are 900° and 30 wheel lock, but we tested and used default wheel driver settings without damper and spring.

For example Thrustmaster T500 60%/100%/100%/0%/0% and TX 75%/100%/100%/0%/0%.

Logitech uses 270° default, so the wheel lock is set to 10 in game.
Feel free to change that to 900°/30.

All wheels that have 900° should use this from now on as a default setting.

The target for the team is to have an automatic rotation/lock for all wheels/cars in the future.

What about effects volume...? keep that up too...

Edit : just tested that..sorry doesn't affect the volume of the skid and scrub...seems to mainly be wind noises etc. Gonna have a bit of a play with the audio...just now.

Edit : just got a really nice mix going if you need to hear tyres more..by turning everything off and seeing what each one is...

Player - 100%
Engine - 50%
Effects - 35%
Road - 5%
Scrub - 100%
Skid - 30%

Last edited:
> lack/quietness of tire squeals
Turn down the engine volume. Helps a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion. There are two problems with this, though. First, I often shift by sound, so turning the engine volume down isn't ideal. Second, it doesn't seem strictly true that the skid sounds are quite. Extreme skids are audible -- for example, fully lock the brakes at high speed, quickly turn the wheel to full lock at high speed, completely spin the car, etc. But, more subtle tire scrubbing, such as when you are at, near, or just beyond the edge traction, is not really audible. So, when you turn skid volume up and/or other volumes down, I still only really can hear the extreme skids, and not scrubbing. I'd like to be able to hear tire scrubbing/mild skidding more prominently than I can currently, which I think would help reduce the floaty sensation, and is also just generally very useful information for gauging how close I am are to the edge of traction. It is a very useful sensory cue in other sims and real life, but I can't seem to dial it into R3E.

Thanks for the suggestion. There are two problems with this, though. First, I often shift by sound, so turning the engine volume down isn't ideal. Second, it doesn't seem strictly true that the skid sounds are quite. Extreme skids are audible -- for example, fully lock the brakes at high speed, quickly turn the wheel to full lock at high speed, completely spin the car, etc. But, more subtle tire scrubbing, such as when you are at, near, or just beyond the edge traction, is not really audible. So, when you turn skid volume up and/or other volumes down, I still only really can hear the extreme skids, and not scrubbing. I'd like to be able to hear tire scrubbing/mild skidding more prominently than I can currently, which I think would help reduce the floaty sensation, and is also just generally very useful information for gauging how close I am are to the edge of traction. It is a very useful sensory cue in other sims and real life, but I can't seem to dial it into R3E.

You hit the nail on the head. When you get no audio feedback from your tires letting you know they're approaching their limits or have slightly surpassed their limits then your brain is missing valuable input it needs to let you know what the car is doing. The lack of this feedback makes you think you're driving on water or air because you sense no friction between rubber and road.

I've watched many races in person and have even been lucky enough to hoon a few cars under track conditions and the tires protest when you approach the limits or go through a turn very quickly. You need this feedback to know what the car is doing (both in the real world and virtual world), R3E does not replicate this and it creates a disconnected feeling.

I turned all sounds down to 20, player sound/tire srub/tire skid are all at 100, then I'd crank the speaker volume up so the other sounds would be at the right level and hopefully the tire sounds would be even louder than that. It made the tire skids really loud but still nothing from the scrub (except under very limited situations) which tells me there just isn't any sound there to be heard. So, I think this is something that needs to be fixed on S3's end and there's nothing end users can do about it.

I can hear it when I'm already in a slide, or if I'm just under 10/10 of the tire's limit, but that's it. I should be able to hear them start a gentle protest when I'm at 7/10 or 8/10, a strong protest at 9/10, and then a major protest as I hit or surpass 10/10. As it is, I only hear from them when I've hit or surpassed 10/10.

Last edited:
I'm just this minute testing....this mix is good to bring the scrub up.

Eng 50
fx 35
road 5
scrub 100
Skid 30

I'll try these (and the head movement tweaks) next chance I get. Msportdan, I guess we'll see, but it seems to me that it is the combination of senses that gives the illusion of sliding (among other movement), in absence of actual kinesthetic feedback you'd get in the real deal. Actually, even with real motion feedback, the other senses still play an important role, and even small inconsistencies among the senses (or even just our expectations for what those senses should be telling us) can lead to motion sickness, dizziness, or any number of other motion (mis)perception issues large and small. So, I think getting it all as right as possible is what gives the most complete/accurate sense of movement, and immersion.

I'll try these (and the head movement tweaks) next chance I get. Msportdan, I guess we'll see, but it seems to me that it is the combination of senses that gives the illusion of sliding (among other movement), in absence of actual kinesthetic feedback you'd get in the real deal. Actually, even with real motion feedback, the other senses still play an important role, and even small inconsistencies among the senses (or even just our expectations for what those senses should be telling us) can lead to motion sickness, dizziness, or any number of other motion (mis)perception issues large and small. So, I think getting it all as right as possible is what gives the most complete/accurate sense of movement, and immersion.

I agree with this. The lack of tire scrub sound isn't the ultimate cause of the floaty feeling but it's a contributor. Having that scrub sound to notify you that you're approaching the limits would lessen the floaty feeling because the lack of that auditory feedback makes your brain think something is missing (connection of rubber to road), i.e. adds to the floaty feeling. Because we're lacking g-forces and seat of the pants feeling, we need visual and auditory cues for our brains to fill in the blanks, and in most other sims it works quite well.

> lack/quietness of tire squeals
Turn down the engine volume. Helps a lot.

If your in a real race car and on the money, you can't really hear the tyres. Your concertration is on hitting the sweet spot all the time. I have tried out AC and modded it like crazy, it just feels to "gamey" R3E really did get something wright in this game, its just lacking content and options. I am really excited to see projectcars released. I think that game is going to rock with options and game play. Watch some of the LMP races on YouTube.

Cheers.

Oh I have a G27, the only track I have a center issue on is Suzuka..
Smiles

If your in a real race car and on the money, you can't really hear the tyres. Your concertration is on hitting the sweet spot all the time.

But in a real car you can feel g-forces and weight transfer and bumps/grooves on the butt-dyno, things that communicate to you what the car is doing. We get none of that in sim racing and need visual/audio cues to replace them.

It has been scientifically analyzed (google around if you don't believe me) that most of the information processing by the human brain is done through the visual senses.

ummmmm

Andi

No disrespect intended, but I'm not sure what your point is. You seem to be implying that vision is the only sense that matters, which is FAR from the case when it comes to driving or pretty much anything else. Google and a vast trove of scientific literature (in addition to each of our own experiences) make that abundantly clear. Even though most of us are heavily driven by vision, that doesn't mean the other senses don't matter -- far from it.

In any event, as I noted earlier, I do feel that something about the visuals is contributing to the floatiness sensation that some of us are reporting, so perhaps we're in agreement on that point, but I think the FFB and audio are also playing a role.

what i was trying to say is; ffb is subjective , even how real cars are is different between models/marques etc ...
yes there is a little info missing , but ive had cars that give more or less info ;
i just learn from what i have and use the setup to stiffen the car up a little , and then i learn from the car that a=b even if its subtle

Andi

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years