Wheel settings after update

Peter

who cares
All the old control sets are terminated with the update.

The advised settings are 900° and 30 wheel lock, but we tested and used default wheel driver settings without damper and spring.

For example Thrustmaster T500 60%/100%/100%/0%/0% and TX 75%/100%/100%/0%/0%.

Logitech uses 270° default, so the wheel lock is set to 10 in game.
Feel free to change that to 900°/30.

All wheels that have 900° should use this from now on as a default setting.

The target for the team is to have an automatic rotation/lock for all wheels/cars in the future.

As @Brandon Wright said, R3E's FFB isn't bad, not by a long way. In fact I've already said it's more than acceptable. My complaints are merely out of frustration as the rest of R3E is an excellent package. I want my driving experience with the wheel to match the quality of the rest of the product.

I think that sums it up perfectly. :thumbsup: The other thing is that FFB in other games is similar enough that it makes it easy to go from one to another. R3E's is so different that it takes several-to-many laps to adjust to it, which can be a bit discouraging. I think this probably causes a lot of people to dismiss it before actually giving it a chance and getting it dialed in, which ultimately hurts sales/development/multiplayer.

thing is what your saying a lot is that its not as good as gsce , i actually prefer it to gsce , it feels more natural to me ... i dont expect someone to make an ffb thats perfect for me ; i just want to have the option to both tweak a little and learn from it , no two cars feel the same so why should a game ?

Andi

Wasn't trying to say it should feel the same, just that it's different enough that it could discourage some people. I had that reaction when I first tried it, thought it felt weird and didn't like it, and that's been the reaction of almost every person I've recommended it to. I think one out of six or seven liked it and still play it. I stuck with it and eventually came to enjoy it, but have always felt it was still a bit off and not as good as it could be.

That doesn't mean everyone else should share my opinion, or that I expect it to be perfectly tailored to my personal tastes, I'm just sharing my experience and opinion as others seem to have similar ones. It's very close to being my favorite sim, and there's nothing wrong with hoping the one thing holding it back from that status might change some day. Others opinions may vary.

What RR lacks in handling it certainly makes up for in all other areas. Audio and visuals, AI tracks cars.

As much as i like the handling in GSCE. Im not keen on the content, I much prefer the tracks in RRe as i recognise them, and relate to them quicker. To be honest i dont think the stock tracks suit a lot of the single seaters, especially the f1 cars. They more suit touring car types, in which you cant access due to marcus restrictions.. i also dont like the fact the marcus cars are on another installation.

As a complete sim RR is better imo.. but i would still like S3 to address the ffb issues of the centre force. (which i managed to dub out lowering certain ffb) and give more tyre feel under loss of grip. It does feel on ice most times, and apart from locking up, hitting kerbs or dips, its hard to tell what the tyres are really doing. To add..... telling me to alter my FFB wont rid the above, ive tried almost all settings on this board, most dont make a difference tbh.

My settings

200 ver load (not so high to avoid clipping by the strong ffb)
170 lateral load (for the fwds otherwise to low and they become floaty, also makes up for lower steer force)
100 FFB (keeps strong detail in all effects).
38 setting for steering force. (seems to rid the horrid centre force and unhide corner road details) SET THIS TO THE STRENGTH OF YOUR WHEEL, OR PERSONAL PREFERENCE. HIGHER=HARDER TO TURN. BUT PLEASE NOTE THE HIGH LATERAL VALUE SHOULD COMPENSATE FOR THIS!
100 understeer

The problem I have with this game is that I cannot feel the loss of traction (the wheel is not becoming lighter enough). This is mainly apparent during braking (locking up) and cornering, so I cannot threshold brake and I cannot drive to the traction limits because I cannot feel where they are.
So to go fast, I need to rely on my memory and not on the ffb. Are there any settings to fix this?

The problem I have with this game is that I cannot feel the loss of traction (the wheel is not becoming lighter enough). This is mainly apparent during braking (locking up) and cornering, so I cannot threshold brake and I cannot drive to the traction limits because I cannot feel where they are.
So to go fast, I need to rely on my memory and not on the ffb. Are there any settings to fix this?

This is my major complaint too, and it keeps me from playing more. I've tried dozens of setting combinations and suggestions and it never goes away. It doesn't help that the tires don't give you any audio feedback about lost grip until you're already halfway through your spin. Unless you're driving in a straight line it usually feels like you're driving on an air hockey table. It really sucks because everything else about this sim is really great, but this one thing lets it down. Only my opinion, of course.

This is my major complaint too, and it keeps me from playing more. I've tried dozens of setting combinations and suggestions and it never goes away. It doesn't help that the tires don't give you any audio feedback about lost grip until you're already halfway through your spin. Unless you're driving in a straight line it usually feels like you're driving on an air hockey table. It really sucks because everything else about this sim is really great, but this one thing lets it down. Only my opinion, of course.

+1000

I think it's clear by now that the issues some of us are having with the FFB are largely unrelated to the type of wheel used or the settings applied (in driver software or on-wheel). The problems lie within the core FFB engine. It doesn't transmit enough feeling to the user. It's a little numb and lacks subtlety. Then you have the swaying/centring problem.

I hope that FFB development is still open to further improvements.

I'm getting happier and happier atm with the feedback. I must have hit a sweet spot. I'm also making big improvements in overall speed too, maybe because of that or now I'm starting to get into it.

I did however drive one of then prototypes today, and that seemed a little too soft, but I'm happy with most cars now.

Last edited:
I think it's clear by now that the issues some of us are having with the FFB are largely unrelated to the type of wheel used or the settings applied (in driver software or on-wheel). The problems lie within the core FFB engine. It doesn't transmit enough feeling to the user. It's a little numb and lacks subtlety. Then you have the swaying/centring problem.

I hope that FFB development is still open to further improvements.

I fully agree. I've talked to so many people who were turned off by the FFB and completely wrote the sim off after a brief trial. I have about a dozen sim racing buddy's I PM regularly on various boards, all of them have tried R3E but only me and one other guy still drive it/enjoy it.

The fact that all the cars feel pretty much the same doesn't help either. I wouldn't think a '92 DTM car and a Daytona Prototype would feel anything similar to each other, but if you sat me down and had me drive both from bumper cam (where I couldn't see any car identifying marks) I'd be hard pressed to tell you which one I was driving.

I'm getting happier and happier atm with the feedback. I must have hit a sweet spot. I'm also making big improvements in overall speed too, maybe because of that or now I starting to get into it.

I did however drive one of then prototypes today, and that seemed a little too soft, but I'm happy with most cars now.

If you drive it enough and don't drive any other sims, you can adapt to it and get quick with it. But it takes a lot of time/practice/patience and even then it never feels correct, just more familiar.

And before certain people butt in, I'm not saying R3E should feel like all other sims. There are certain elements of R3E's FFB I like a lot more than other sims and I like that it's different, but it feels like it's either incomplete or something is missing (feedback from the tires/road/grip) and this leads to a far less pleasurable experience than it should be.

To be fair, the FFB is more than acceptable to me but I know it can better.

I mostly agree with that, but I'd only rate it as slightly above acceptable. And I'm not trying to bitch about it, just trying to give feedback in the hopes the devs see it and either try to address it or at least explain to us why it is the way it is and whether it's ever going to improve or not. If it weren't for the FFB, this sim would probably occupy 70-80% of my sim racing time because I love the rest of it so much. But as it stands it only gets maybe 30% of my sim time and that dwindles more and more as the weeks go by.

Hey Guys, I've just been doing some testing to iron out a steering input niggle I've been having.....and I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned this before or not but I'll share my discovery with you anyway, so sorry if this is old news but I'm fairly new to R3E and I think it will help.

Steering Settings Tip : Steering Sensitivity for 900'

Goto Control Settings/Advanced

Check your steering sensitivity. If it is as 100% you'll see on the test zone at the top, there is way too much rotation in game. I can't remember what was default. So this may not help at all.

At 100% Try turning the wheel 90' five times in one direction. Up to 270' there is way too much in game rotation for each turn and then very little at the end. Also jiggle the wheel around center and see how much it moves in the test zone. (This could be the reason for some of the weaving in the straights some people have been experiencing). I wanted to make each 90' turn even and to do that I had to turn the sensitivity to 50%. Now, you'll notice the test zone reads evenly for each 90' turned and the jiggle is way less. This gives a more much more natural feel to the steering on track. It also means you are less likely to over correct and can be more accurate.

If you have been driving with 100% sensitivity and change to 50%, you will need to increase your steering lock a few clicks in the steering setting of car set up.

Anyway, just thought I'd share...Peace.

I hadn't played it in a couple weeks and had a go last night. Was really disappointed, takes several tries to get a clean start, a gentle bumper tap results in a spin, and touching a centimeter of kerb sees your tail chasing your nose. I drove a DP and an ADAC Merc, both felt basically the same and had the floating on air feeling. It sounded and looked great, but that only gets you so far.

I have similar experiences like so many here has mentioned. I try this game about once a month and hope some improvements, but no, there isn't:(.

Cars don't feel like topnotch race cars, they feel like minibus:laugh:. Race car should be stiff as hell. In this game cars swing and wobble like seesaw.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to learn how to drive or adapt to certain physics in games. Most of us know how to drive a car and how it feels. Driving fast is the thing you have to learn and get used to. And in my mind Assetto Corsa is a perfect example how it should feel. Right out of a box, without any major adjustments you can drive relatively fast, because it's feel natural and real. I bet, if we have a chance to drive real racecar we would not have so much difficulties in corners what I have in this game and even if I go straight it's somehow unstable.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back