Wheel settings after update

Peter

who cares
All the old control sets are terminated with the update.

The advised settings are 900° and 30 wheel lock, but we tested and used default wheel driver settings without damper and spring.

For example Thrustmaster T500 60%/100%/100%/0%/0% and TX 75%/100%/100%/0%/0%.

Logitech uses 270° default, so the wheel lock is set to 10 in game.
Feel free to change that to 900°/30.

All wheels that have 900° should use this from now on as a default setting.

The target for the team is to have an automatic rotation/lock for all wheels/cars in the future.

Shovas

Premium
At that same point the FFB in R3E is as strong as it is when i steered into the corner. I feel the loss of FFB when im already in a spin.
Yes! Great write up of what I'm seeing. To me it indicates the game is outputting maximum force (probably much more than max) and has no spare room for extra forces for subtle force variations that would warn the driver they're on the edge and just about losing it.

Here are my current CSW settings, will edit as I play and improve them.

Fanatec Profile
SEn: 900
FF: 100
Sho: 100
AbS: 85
LIn: Off
dEA: Off
drI: Off
For: 100
SPr: Off

InGame Settings
Wheel Lock: 30
Force Feedback Level: 75
Steering Force: 100
Understeer: 90
Vertical Load: 200
Lateral Force: 90
Steering Rack: 0

Engine: 04
Brake: 30
Kerb: 30
Shift: 0

Update: 13/09 12:57am
It feels good to me, can definitely still make it better, obviously FFB is massively personal preference.
Removed Engine effect as i feel it masks the FFB road feel too much, 4% seems a good compromise.

Last edited:
I don't want to rush to any conclusions about the new FFB and road feel yet because quite honestly, I haven't had enough time to test more than a few cars and tracks but I will say as a Thrustmaster TX user, my first impressions were that I wasn't really feeling a huge change, however...I would like to say that after adjusting the vertical load setting to 200% instead of the default 100%, it has completely changed everything.

One thing about racing sims that I hate is when I'm visually seeing driver head wobble when going over bumps on the road yet I'm not feeling anything in the wheel that would indicate I just went over a bump. In my honest opinion R3E has struggled with this in the past and even with the new FFB at the default settings, I was still getting this feeling. With the vertical load setting at 200%, its like a magic button that transformed me from sim racer to real racer. I can now feel the bumps in the road and slight variations. The wheel feels very connected to the road.

I do intend to play around with some of the other settings later today but for now, I highly recommend the TX users try the vertical load setting at 200% and see what you think, even with no other adjustments in the FFB menu. Right away, this FFB setting alone is a game changer for me. Pretty impressed now and eager to play around with the other settings too.

Shovas

Premium
One thing about racing sims that I hate is when I'm visually seeing driver head wobble when going over bumps on the road yet I'm not feeling anything in the wheel that would indicate I just went over a bump. In my honest opinion R3E has struggled with this in the past and even with the new FFB at the default settings, I was still getting this feeling. With the vertical load setting at 200%, its like a magic button that transformed me from sim racer to real racer. I can now feel the bumps in the road and slight variations. The wheel feels very connected to the road.
I've had the same experience.

Are you able to feel your way around corners? Or is your force maxed out the whole way? If it's not maxed out how do you manage that in your settings?

James Cook

Marcas fan
We could use a database of suggested settings for the various wheels on the market.

I'm still trying to get ffb feeling right with my Fanatec CSR. Steering force is far too strong and lacks subtlety at default settings.

Trying adjusting the Force Feedback Intensity (not Steering Force Intensity) down to 60% in the FFB menu and work your way up from there. I also highly recommend raising the vertical load setting significantly. I use a Force Feedback Intensity of 75%, but then again this setting will be dependent on what wheel you're using and your wheel's driver control panel settings too. I initially found the default Force Feedback Intensity of 100% to be too much for my wheel too. At 75% it feels real nice with 200% vertical load, 0% smoothing and all other settings at default.

Last edited:
Trying adjusting the Force Feedback Intensity (not Steering Force Intensity) down to 60% in the FFB menu and work your way up from there. I also highly recommend raising the vertical load setting significantly. I use a Force Feedback Intensity of 75%, but then again this setting will be dependent on what wheel you're using and your wheel's driver control panel settings too. I initially found the default Force Feedback Intensity of 100% to be too much for my wheel too. At 75% it feels real nice with 200% vertical load and all other settings at default.
The 200% vertical load setting is great! I'm using a TX and the wheel feels even more alive now, thanks for that, look forward to more of your test results :geek::thumbsup:

How does the steering ratio work right now ? Does the game automatically detect my wheel's rotation and set the ratio accordingly ?

My wheel turns 120° in every direction - MS Sidewinder and i'm having trouble to set the steering in the game. Right now i'm at steering sensitivity set to 30% and 14-16 steering lock and it's close to what i'd like, but i was just testing R8@Zolder and the car struggles to turn in/exhibtis a lot of understeer in the slow corners and into that 90° turn before the back straight. Even when i'm applying full lock...it just won't turn in. Actually it understeers excessively over the whole track. Same thing with M1@MidOhio. I've only tested these two so far.
Anything higher than 16,17 steering lock is unplayable for me - the cars' steering becomes way too sensitive and twitchy,they turn too much(and non-linear)to my input.

It appears either the lock is too low or the steering ratio is incorrectly calculated or lower degree wheels are not supported or smth...Never had these issues in the previous version, played just fine.
I'm quite certain it's not merely a sense of speed issue where i would try to turn at a too high speed...the understeer and unwillingness to turn in actually feels excessive and abnormal.

Can anything be done in the settings to alleviate this behavior ? Thanks

I think you should still use 50% sensitivity and use 10 or lower wheel lock.
Seems to me that the car is turning faster than your steering wheel.
It turns in better now, but it doesn't feel right and the ingame wheel is too sensitive now - smth must be wrong with the ratio in my case. I did another quick test with M1@MidOhio and also notice that the virtual wheel only turns 90° in each direction no matter if i set 200° or 250° in ''vehicle settings''.

That 30% steering sensitivity and 10-16 lock feels close to my liking, but the cars i've tried so far(R8,M1) exhibit heavy understeer and don't turn in well enough with such settings. Will try to fiddle a bit more with the numbers tomorrow.

Shovas

Premium
The virtual steering wheel is just an animation. It won't turn very far if you have driver arms enabled. I disable them so I can see my virtual wheel turning 1:1 with my physical wheel.

It is definately a huge huge improvement over the previous FFB. But I still feel like something is missing. Also around the center it feels like there is a ball in the FFB (just the feeling I get). Don't know what is causing that. Would love to find a solution for it.
I'll play around with settings today and see if I can eliminate it. But again, it is heaps better than before. So good work guys!

BTW, it would be great if you'd do the full range of driver's arms animation. Cause right now it's not 1:1 with my wheel. It's just turns 270deg, if that. So that would be great if it could be fixed. But I guess that's not really all that important at the moment.

Any pointers for a Fanatec Porsche Wheel Turbo S (PWTS). Set ups similar to GT2 and GT3RS normally work as very similar innards.

I'm struggling a bit with the default - wheel seems a bit heavy and think I need to turn down engine vibration as that seems to be dominating a bit. Vertical Load was 200% default. Think I was at 75% overall strength.

Have been using 540 at 23 degrees but may also try 900 degrees at 30 not that it should affect the feel.

I can tell there is a definite improvement in feel and connection to what the car is doing but just need to find the right settings to feel the more subtle telltale forces regarding loss of grip.

Tried M3 E30 at Monza - FFB much improved considering neither physics nor track updated.
Audi 90 Quattro at Hungaroring - As fun as ever but needs more subtlety in settings - plus you drive this car very differently with it's crazy 4WD antics.
BMW Z4 GT3 at Red Bull Ring to try new car and track - again can tell there is some brilliant feedback in there but need to hit the right combination of settings.

I think it applied the new settings over an existing controller profile - maybe I need to creat a new one using a default profile to start afresh ?

Still far from right with Logitech Wheels and one can easily check. Just change some parameters drastically and still almost nothing changes on the wheel feel side. This is not the case at GTR/GTL/rFs/GSCE/AC...

Shovas

Premium
Also around the center it feels like there is a ball in the FFB (just the feeling I get). Don't know what is causing that. Would love to find a solution for it.
When you say it feel like a "ball" in the center it makes me think of the invertd ffb option. Make sure that is correct for you. The wheel forces should be pushing towards center not pulling away from center.

Or maybe you're just experiencing ffb center deadzone in which case increase the overall force or the lateral forces (not a great solution but it helps; R3E should have an iRacing-like min force).

Shovas

Premium
Just change some parameters drastically and still almost nothing changes on the wheel feel side.

I have a G27 and I can definitely tell the extremes of the force settings. Some force settings go up to 200% fyi I didn't notice that my first time through.

You're right, though, I'm not sure S3 did a lot of tuning on the G27 (no sane button mappings??) so I guess it's up to us.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 84 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 37 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.7%
  • €3001-5000