• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

What's the consensus?

Discussion in 'NASCAR Heat 2' started by Rob, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium

Ratings:
    +3,067
    Should I get this game? What has improved? What is worse? What still needs improvement?

2. grirvan

grirvan

Ratings:
    +9
    I will give you my 2 cents, since I have not posted anywhere else.
    First off, I am long time sim racer, mainly offline with the exception being NR2003, which I did a lot of multiplayer racing through the years.
    Most recently I have owned Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Raceroom, RFactor2, F1 2016 and even Forza Apex and been very impressed with these graphics.
    If you are familiar with some of the graphics of these titles, you will see that they are in in a different league than Nascar Heat Evolution 2.
    Don't get me wrong, the graphics are good, but they do not have the "realism" you see in these other titles. VSYNC is not working properly, but the frame rate runs very well and very high with or without it turned on.
    The tires do not seem to be touching the track when viewing replays. It is almost like the cars or trucks are just images layered separately to the track and not as "one".
    This may not be on every track and it may be first impressions.
    I am still under the 2 hour mark in getting a Steam refund and am on the fence.
    The positives are everything installed and worked without any trouble.
    I have a T300RS wheel and started the game from the library the first time (as I had read to do) and it gave me the controller option. Worked like a champ, including FFB.
    They have provided a very good AI to race with. Damage is pretty good (wheels do not come off that I have seen).
    Went through all the settings and raced each series on different tracks no problem.
    And I enjoyed it.....it is a lot of fun, just not deep simulation like some of the titles I own.
    I am a heavy realistic graphics person and that is my biggest hang up.
    For fun, I may keep it, but can you imagine having a Nascar sim with graphics as good as Assetto Corsa or Project Cars?
    Now that would be awesome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,067
    Us Xbox users have been compromising for years, so as long as you are saying it's no worse than last year, sounds like the non graphic issues have improved.
    But I agree, even compared to other console titles, the graphics on NASCAR are stub standard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave R

Dave R

Ratings:
    +205
    I'm really enjoying it. Ran trucks at MoSport, xFinity at Road America, and Cup cars at the Glen. Good AI in all 3 races. I'm a bit disappointed that I can't run Cup at either MoSport or Road America (or Mid Ohio) and can't run Trucks at RA or MO. I hope that's patched in, but I've had a blast with it so far.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,067
    I always got the impression that bad graphics will get massive forgiveness if you give the community great physics. I'm glad, it seems, that the devs have gone in that direction, with the addition of A.I. improvements.

Mid Ohio is almost reason enough to buy this title. Too bad it doesn't come with an IndyCar. lol. This team, while admitting it's not a SIM, is slowly beating out teams that claim they are nothing but. After all, the game works. Warts and all. I thought the old A.I. were pretty good. They were a bit rubber bandish, but compared to the title before it (2014 I think) the A.I. were a dream come true.Another thing that most game designers punt is the wind. That alone has a massive impact on lap times and track competence. This is especially true on ovals. Maybe NASCAR will wake up the Euro designers who basically have zero clue (ignorance or apathy) how oval racing works.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +111
    How do you feel about Raceroom?

The game is still downloading, so I'll get to try it before going to bed hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,067
    I wish I could feel something about several PC titles, and I'll probably switch in the future. iRacing, Raceroom, Automobilista, and rF2 are all things I'd love to try.

8. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +111
    Holy ♥♥♥♥ is this game a disaster.

140 fps, no V-sync, no frame limiting, the PC sounds like a jet engine and gets really hot.

Looks like an early rFactor mod, not the official product of one of the biggest racing series in the world. Bad textures, bad vegetation, unnatural coloring, anti-aliasing doesn't work.

The steering wheel (TMX) calibration is just weird and gives no feedback that the settings work. The button prompts on the screen do not correspond to those on the wheel, so B and A on the wheel don't do anything. Just guess which keys on the keyboard you need to press and have fun.

The force feedback is more like resistance, and doesn't work in the pits apparently, so it's free-wheelin' until you reach a certain speed. Once you reach the maximum lock, the steering wheel keeps turning and the force feedback fades, so it feels really bad.

No proper graphics options, no FOV adjustment, no seat adjustment.

The mouse doesn't work anywhere, menus, car setup, or elsewhere.

The game has lots of content and extra liveries as DLC if you want to waste even more money.

Junk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  9. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Retro PC Sim Racer Premium

Ratings:
    +3,047
    :(
    Ah well I suppose I'll stick to my old favourite, NR2003 modded to be modern and with great AI.
    Pity I was kind of looking forward to this version in the hope it would be good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +111
    I think it's a pitiful product, but the experience on the track seems quite nice, with the AI behaviour, jostling for position, etc. being much better than in the Eutechnyx games. That's the one aspect that could have kept me playing if the rest were halfway decent.

If your wheel is supported and you're more patient than I am (very likely), you might find something to like there. Probably not worth full price, but with a refund option, it's worth giving it a shot to be sure. Apparently, it uses the Unity Engine, something used for indie games and walking simulators normally, so that's got to limit them a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. grirvan

grirvan

Ratings:
    +9
    Following up a little more (PC experience). I am past 2 hours in, so no refund. Multiplayer is still dead compared to NR2003 glory days (maybe it will get more people eventually), but I am enjoying racing the AI. I read where you have to turn on all flags and do a race of at least at 25% (I was first doing a lot of quick races like 3%) to experience cautions and pitting (if you choose to pit on a yellow). It is actually quite fun and competitive with the AI. Graphics are okay, but not Assetto Corsa or Project Cars quality as I mentioned in the first post above. Pit stop graphics though are actually pretty amazing.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,300
    Amazing how different the reviews can be for the same game. Just shows that it's horses for courses I guess. I'll probably grab this at some point but on console we don't have the luxury of the refund you can get on stream so its always best to be cautious these days and wait out for some feedback so thanks for taking the time to give that both good and bad :thumbsup:

What do you think @Rob you giving it a go?

13. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,067
    I think these are PC guys mostly. Their standard are higher. I'll definitely get it this weekend or next. MP is a concern though, as with all games on console

• Like Like x 1
  14. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,300
    Can anyone tell me does the game have a save race feature this time? Not having that makes it difficult for me to race anything other than short races and was the main reason why I stopped playing Heat 1. Even a save between quali and race would be something.

15. Kenya Coleman

Kenya Coleman

Ratings:
    +37
    Unfortunately no Peter, I would love to do 100% races but just can't in one sitting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,300
    Thanks for the reply Kenny that is disappointing. Same for me, I just don't have that sort of time available in one go. Even the 50% races with the qualifying sessions on top of that were prohibitive with H1. It's something I queried the devs about and they said it was something they were looking at but I guess it wasn't a priority.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nibiru Cataclysm

Nibiru Cataclysm

Ratings:
    +21
    Steaming pile of bullshit of the highest quality.

Graphics are terrible...looks like they used some sort of vaseline like grease smeared over the screen to "pretend" to be AA.

Control options - terrible. Try and change the settings for my T500 and it launches a separate app and CLOSES the main game. Not all things can be rebound....so I can't map "pause" to the keyboard. No no...I have to map it to the fking wheel because that's all the config tool understands.

If you have suicidal thoughts then you'll want to turn the sound off. The spotter says "easy easy" ever freaking time you overtake or accelerate....grating like the ex wife on a bad day does not describe it.

Frame rate - on my high end system is ****. Seems to fluctuate between 30 and 60....with massive dips.

TLDR : Pick any combination of anglo saxon 4 letter words...put them together and this describes the game. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as NR2003 or Mario Kart for that matter.

• Haha Haha x 1
  18. grirvan

grirvan

Ratings:
    +9
    I also run a high end system and my FPS were between 100-150. Turned on the now fixed VSYNC and I run a constant 90 FPS matching my monitor.

19. Nibiru Cataclysm

Nibiru Cataclysm

Ratings:
    +21
    I'm pleased for you, but I've uninstalled and requested a refund.

20. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +111
    I wish I could have tried the V-Sync. Good thing they fixed it for those who want to keep playing it.

• Like Like x 1