What Would You Consider to be the Perfect Simulation?

PC graphics Day night cycle / full whether system
rF2 FFB / physics / mod managing system / AI / Real road/ features
iRacing MP (minus the web interface)
RRE Race series pack & sounds
AC Laser scan models and tracks

Perhaps GTR3 :)

AC for graphics
AC for tire model (maybe blend of iracing/AC)
R3E for sound
AMS for FFB
iRacing Multiplayer (worth price)
iRacing car/track list

Some interesting comments so far guys however I'm a bit surprised about something....

No one has really said they want to see something not already available in other sims. Ok fair enough saying lets have part x of sim y etc etc, but surely we want stuff that's not already done in other games?

What about stuff like in season testing in championship mode? A setting where you have say 3 hours at a track and have to run through a programme of activities in order to develop some new parts? If you crash that's testing over, or if you cant meet a consistent target time the data might be useless or produce some iffy upgrades?

What about things like more involving team play, where you need to secure sponsors and budget to put together a season, and lack of budget could impact on track performance or your chances of completing the year?

Or how about having a full offline career where, if you were doing something like Blancpain for example, you could also register your "driver profile" to go do other stand alone big events like Daytona or Bathurst or Le Mans and your profile ranking would rise / fall and you receive invites to sign for bigger (or smaller) teams in bigger (or smaller) championships?

How about linked content, so if you secured a licence for something like the British Touring Car TOCA package you could start in Ginetta Juniors and work your way through the ranks to the BTCC / WTCC / TCR International or what not?

Come one folks, let you imagination run wild and tell us what the ultimate racing game would look like in your opinion :)

Oh one other thing :)

Nice post on our Facebook page from Marco Massarutto of Kunos about the image used at the top of the article:

"Dear RaceDepartment, we have a nice story behind this picture at Kunos Simulazioni: the picture is one of the first screenshots released by Slightly Mad Studios of their popular Project C.A.R.S. They announced it on mid 2011, while at Kunos we were developing Assetto Corsa (that wasn't unveiled at all, yet). So, when I saw that picture (and the first licensing contract I had negotiated then was with Classic Team Lotus), it was like a punch in the stomach (even if I got my revenge..
1f603.png
:D). Anyway, we were convinced that it was a render, not a screenshot: funny detail, at the moment, in the making of Assetto Corsa, our benchmark for the graphics was Need for Speed Shift 2 (made by SMS), the most brilliant racing game out there in terms of graphics.

So, that screen goes on the internet, and we thought "well, we'll see..", since some press release mentioned the pre-alpha program, but it looked far to be started yet. However, after few days, the very first pre-pre-alpha of pCARS has been released, and after a while, the first gameplay videos came out on Youtube. Few minutes later, I was playing pCARS on my PC. It was on Friday, so I called the guys, saying: "Ok, fellows, I've a good news and a bad news: the good news is [I will not tell you], the bad news is that the picture it wasn't a render.."

Well, our mood during the weekend it wasn't the best we ever had. But on Monday, we came back to work, "ok fellows, we have a new great challenge, let's face it. "

The rest is history. I believe we pushed each other, doing our respective best to make simracers happy. For the good of all. That's all folks! "

:confused::cool::):D:thumbsup:

Come one folks, let you imagination run wild and tell us what the ultimate racing game would look like in your opinion :)
Well, i guess it's easier to take existing features and set them together, then imagine new things. ;)
For me the perfect racing sim is pretty straight forward, also a mixture between car games, i wouldn't say "it's already there" though, in fact, there was never anything even close to it....i keep hoping that something like it will come true in the future.

Forza Horizon 3 with AC physics, car quality, and FFB. Simple as that.

For people who don't know Forza Horizon too good, here is a small summary:
It has all the iconic cars you could probably ever wish for, and probably the most exciting car content ever in a racing game - just look at the new DLC for an example http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/playseat-car-pack-released-for-forza-horizon-3.131503/.

Then you have probably the best graphics in a racing game to date - they even filmed the Australian sky for month to replicate the real sky in the game - including lighting the environment.

Then you have a huge map in Australia including city, desert, rain forrest, fields, coast (and a snow island). You can drive around freely, and take part in events (races and racing series over several races for example).
The races are either point to point rally style, or circuits. They use existing roads that get "fenced off" for that matter, including everything from highways to field roads or paths through a rain forrest (with dirt surface).
The races are all in between a category, and all cars within the races get BOP'd. But the BoP is not just "artificial" or adding weight, but a combination of several hundred upgrades (car parts you can change in a real car as well)
- now a little example: If you take for example the stock Lamborghini Urus, you will race against other high performance SUVs (like G-class AMG, Jaguar F-Pace, Maserati Levante S etc). Now in order to get the same race performance like your Urus, those other SUVs will get certain parts upgraded (like for example a bigger turbocharger, a better drive shaft, or racing valvs) to match your performance, but will still have unique trades (for example better in corners, but worse in power). If it's your own car, you can upgrade anything yourself how you like it, or just do "automatic BoP" to match your rivals.
This ensures close and fair racing, that wouldn't be possible otherwise in between street cars, at least not between a huge variety of cars within a grid.

Now imagine this game with all it's cars, from beach buggies over SUVs, hypercars, rally cars, GT sports cars, all made in AC quality, and ready to race against a huge variety of other cars both offline or online against other people, full simulator.
Would be simulation heaven for me.... i still hope i will live to witness such a Sim anywhere in the future....

Most of the things people are asking for were available 10 years ago. GTR 2. So what we need is a modern, up to date GTR 2 but with:
Project Cars RRE FFB
Project Cars Assetto Corsa Graphics
Project Cars RF2 Physics
Project Cars GP4 animated pit stops
Project Cars RF2 AI.
Project Cars GP4 Flag System
Project Cars GP4 replays
Project Cars GTR 2 day/night cycle
Project Cars RRE sounds
Project Cars Iracing Multiplayer
Project Cars AMS UI
Project Cars AMS modding
Project Cars RRE tracks
Project Cars RF2 Dynamic Track
Project Cars Indy Car Racing Damage model

Poor old Project Cars.:( Oh, hold on, wet weather racing effects Project Cars F1 2016. Sorry.
Hold on, just found one. Project Cars Helmet View. That is damn good.

Just having a laugh folks. :D Hopefully GTR 3 will have a lot of the wanted/needed things we crave. :thumbsup::)

Seriously though, I would want the user to get a 250 volt electric shock through their VR helmet or Steering wheel if they crash to simulate real pain and to make them avoid dangerous moves. And a 500 volt electric shock for getting all 4 wheels over the solid white lines. ;):laugh:

AND Toca race driver 3 carrer mode.... And the competition atmosphere!!! :laugh:

for example, Realism + Physics = AUTOMOBILISTA or netKar-pro
- I have all What love in SimRacing.in AMS I hope, "REIZA 2017" will more focusing on the multiplayer.
- or KUNOS (what i remember from netKar-pro) will be back, with non commerciall new project.

Tossing aside "the best of physics/graphics/sound/netcode/ai obviously," since that's down to your hardware target and simulations are all aiming to recreate the same thing which is cars driven by humans in the real world, realistically what my interests are is
1) modularity. Good interfaces, in all respects. Right now I think AC is the best at this which is why I mostly play it. What I mean by this is, well, the shining example is gui apps. Within reasonable performance constraints, you can add any interface you want to the game, and it's not at all difficult - just put a folder in the right place, click the automatically added buttons ingame, done. Apps are written in python using a fairly tidy api to do the AC-related functions so they're easy to develop too.

This means that since different people have a different perfect sim, they can build it themself. I want to have onscreen only an oil gauge and tachometer because that's what the car has? Ok. Heads up display showing me how close other cars are? Could do that as well. Cover the screen in apps and have all possible status data of my car? Fine.

Of course no game takes this as far as I'd really like. People complain about tire models? Write your own, plug it in, and see how it handles. Not happy with the AI? Again, just write your own, communicate over a standard interface what conditions the car is in and how you want the driver to respond. Want to simulate a scissor lift box truck so you can recreate that one Top Gear episode on airport support vehicle racing? Just add another set of controls.

Then if you want something completely outside what the devs dreamed of you can do it. I remember when movables were added to AC people talked about soccer games. Which is obviously not why they made it, they just wanted it so you can run over cones but it's what gives a game infinite life.

2) real-world content. I don't think I can give this up now that I've tasted it... laserscan tracks are just a step above anything done by adding "what we think it should be like" effects to the surface. And visually speaking we're close to models being at the quality necessary to say "it looks real". Lighting still has a way to go; my personal feeling is that Gran Turismo and Forza are strongest in overall look but are doing a lot of it statically (really good texture work) rather than having realistic dynamic lighting creating that effect.

3) open world. It's about time simulators took this on. I am sick and tired of people saying that police chases are the realm of arcade games, that racing simulators should only simulate legal forms of racing and race cars. I think there's a lot of room to have realistic handling and consequences in a game about other sorts of driving. There's a whole world of places to drive and types of opponents to come up against.

One of my favorite driving games recently was Driver:San Francisco. They actually managed to include a couple dozen famous movie car chases as special challenges - why not do that in a realistic Mustang instead.

If you're really a stickler for keeping it legal, how about a stunt driving simulator. You could license real movies or skip that and go for pastiches - either way, the plot is that you're gonna perform movie stunts, and the better you do it, the trickier ones they toss your way. Maybe throw in some video capture so you can push them to youtube easily; I liked that part of SpaceChem.

4) clear vision. I want it built by someone who knows what they're going for, and allocates resources so they can do that the best. Whether that's the flight simulator style "it costs $50 per plane but it's physically perfect down to the feeling of the plane pitching as the steward pushes their cart through coach class" or my summer car's "I want it to feel like you're a young guy in Finland in 1994 who's building a car", I can forgive a lot more flaws if I can see what they were aiming to do and all the parts suit that purpose.

5) deformable terrain. Spintires is the only game that comes to mind that went in this direction with simulation gameplay in mind... but really it applies to racetracks as much as to rally or whatever. I recall a couple years ago at the Bathurst 500 the v8 supercars melted the asphalt at the apex of one of the corners. Running cars hard is going to change the racing surface. I'm not even sure what the limit of this kind of thing is because no game's gone there. Persistent online world where the track evolves over time and periodically gets resurfaced?

On a more serious note. I kinda structured these a little bit but it is still kinda all over the place.

multiplayer
- live for speed for ease of use, server management and car/track switching
- combination of iracing and all other sims when it comes to online racing. Not just scheduled racing like iracing but also offers pickup racing like lfs and leaderboard events from automobilista
- combination of rf2, iracing and lfs for driver swaps and endurance racing
- forza for online leaderboards and online special events
- netcode is mostly iracing although lag contact needs fixing
- lfsworld style online site for tracking your race results, team management and server browsing, skin sharing and setup database. Also gplrank style world records replay database and top lists.

physics
- feature lists from iracing and rfactor2
- overall rf2 physics although driving camera motion should come from iracing or ac. Not from any rf based game because there is something missing for me.
- overall ffb implementation and options from ac but ffb itself from rf2
- damage features is combination of lfs deformable car body damage, parts falling off from rf2 and ac texture and dirt shaders

modding
- rf2 featureset and ac implementation. Rf2 has lots of great features but it is an absolute pain to work with. Ac is simple and efficient to use but lacks lot of the features rf2 has
- ac level documentation and tools. Tools for generating car preview images, fonts.
- ac sdk that supports car upgrade parts as separate parts
- rf2 car upgrades system with forza color/paint management options
- ac skinning/texturing system. Drop files to a folder and go. No need to repack or micromanage anything
- skin viewer from lfs with photo locations from gran turismo 5/6. Easy to paint skins
- autocross track editing from live for speed. Allow to use existing tracks as a base to create new track layouts.
- generally I like how ac sets up the shaders but I also like how rf2 supports multiple uvmaps
- rf2 veh files for car management
- ac file structure for cars (invidual files for certain car parts)
- in-game skin painter from forza (can use photoshop as well)
- track generator from gt5/6. Kinda very simple but still useful for creating rally events for example ;)

sound
- I have never really done any sound editing from scratch so I don't really know if ac's fmod is better than the traditional samples&ini files approach. Iracing sounds nice but I have no idea what kind of system they have
- I'd like it be easy for users to mod the sounds for all content and ac does that pretty well as far as I know
- overall I'd probably take iracing sounds but have the forza or raceroom sound sample recordings. Iracing sounds a bit too clean for me

tracks and cars
- reverse track configs from lfs
- track list from iracing. Fictional tracks from forza
- rf2 dynamic track system accompanied with some of the pcars and forza nuances
- forza car list

single player
- pp system from forza which gives a rating for each car based on how fast lap time it can do
- car customization from forza, engine customization from automation
- freeroam mode from gta5 and test drive unlimited
- street racing battles from Tokyo Extreme racer 3 ;)
- career mode that is all the variety of events from forza, gran turismo, pcars and sportscar gt
- car tuning and conversions from forza

Some interesting comments so far guys however I'm a bit surprised about something....

No one has really said they want to see something not already available in other sims. Ok fair enough saying lets have part x of sim y etc etc, but surely we want stuff that's not already done in other games?

Well I did mention a proper tutorial, something not seen in a proper sim since GTR2 I'm pretty sure. I guess seasoned sim racers don't care about this, but if the intention is to get new blood into the genre then this would help massively. Every other sim seems to expect that you already know what to do.

Other than that, I'd love to see the Blancpain GT series, with all the tracks and vehicles in it implemented :)

For the record, my preferred sims to crash in, I mean race in, are R3E and Automobilista. I like nice graphics, but the driving feel is more important, as is a half-decent AI.

I did, (RTR) :) i Drove this when it first came out, ok it was a bit dodgy (probably more my machine) But it was a nice experience to see how fast real drivers get through the corners.

Take iRacing. Give it Assetto Corsa graphics and car/feel handling. Ban those who constantly wreck people. Lower the price. Perfect!
In my opinion,Iracing has some of the nicest car and track graphics going. I find them better than AC and all the other sims. I really don't know how they do it by stretching the capabilities of the old Nascar Racing 2003 engine.

What about stuff like in season testing in championship mode? A setting where you have say 3 hours at a track and have to run through a programme of activities in order to develop some new parts? If you crash that's testing over, or if you cant meet a consistent target time the data might be useless or produce some iffy upgrades?

What about things like more involving team play, where you need to secure sponsors and budget to put together a season, and lack of budget could impact on track performance or your chances of completing the year?

Or how about having a full offline career where, if you were doing something like Blancpain for example, you could also register your "driver profile" to go do other stand alone big events like Daytona or Bathurst or Le Mans and your profile ranking would rise / fall and you receive invites to sign for bigger (or smaller) teams in bigger (or smaller) championships?

How about linked content, so if you secured a licence for something like the British Touring Car TOCA package you could start in Ginetta Juniors and work your way through the ranks to the BTCC / WTCC / TCR International or what not?

Sure, there's tons I could add, but first I'd like to see a single sim covering the things I previously mentioned :p

In-depth career is something I'd love to see. Different series to race in, building up a reputation for better contracts, negotiating contracts on your own, securing sponsor deals. Changing calendars, lineups and liveries as you do multiple seasons. Crashes with consequences, i.e. the possibility of injury when you crash hard, causing you to miss races. Relationship to teams, being on good terms gives the chance that they keep you when doing bad, or give you a seat in an other series they race in. Relationship to other drivers, e.g. they race you harder when you are on bad terms. Team development.
Further expanding that, becoming team owner at some point in your career. Signing sponsors, drivers, staff etc., develop your car.

Writing that now, I seem to remember there once was a Nascar game (by EA?, 2007?) which covered some of the things I mentioned.

It's impossible but I'll play...
  • rF2+R3E's FFB.
  • rF2+PCars-style time and weather.
  • R3E's sound.
  • R3E's built-in hotlap competitions where I can race vs friends times at my leisure.
  • iRacing-style multiplayer, calendar, schedule, rating, custom leagues.
  • iRacing+R3E-style 'hub' for organising it all.
  • GT+NFS car collecting.
  • NFS-style customising.
  • GT/Forza+NFS+PCars wider market appeal.
  • State of the art graphics, but switchable down to levels where poor people can play too and it still looks good.
  • My own choice of number and name/nickname on the cars.
  • Affordable+No subscription (students, work-from-home'ers and unemployed keep other games alive during daylight hours).
  • Crossplatform racing (including Linux plz), since mouse and kb are no advantage in a racing game, and linux gaming numbers are steadily increasing.
  • I suppose in order to keep the OAP's happy it needs to have offline mode :sneaky:
  • The ability to unlock racing series, cars, and especially tuning parts, in a style similar to War Thunder's planes and tanks, would be pretty damn interesting on the free-to-play front, and it's compelling too, especially to a casual like me :)
  • Lastly, someone to delete all other racing games/sims from existence, so that everyone plays it, instead of 12 people each playing the one they like. I think this is the biggest problem with this genre.
Personally I'm sick and tired of spending money I can't afford on a new racer, only to find it's worse than the last, with "yet more lies" told about stuff they're going to do, that never materialises. I'd rather see the likes of R3E succeed as a rolling-updates platform, much like iRacing but without the sub and prices. A constantly-updated, new-tech-incorporating, sim-engine-and-hub thingy-whatsit-doodar, with a monumental population of eager gamers AND hardcore racers populating it. A guy can dream :)

Graphics:
Every time I go from racing to playing my latest games, BF1 or 'The Witcher', I'm blown away by the difference in graphical fidelity and atmosphere. It makes even the best looking sims (Ac/PCars) look like something a decade old. I would really love to see something with a similar atmosphere eg:
- people doing stuff in the stands (walking around, eating, talking etc)
- wind having an effect on trees, branches leaves moving. The witcher is amazing for this and it's these 'little' things that just add so much atmosphere
- Starting by standing in your garage and being able to walk around the car you're about to drive to get an understanding of it, rather than just in you go, and all that's differnt from your perspective is a changed dashboard
- Perhaps you can then go to your engineer and chat about setups with the setup screen having helpful tool-tips and warnings when you are going too extreme

So I would love to see a sim built on the frostbite engine that would allow for this kind of incredible graphics and atmosphere.

Offline racing
-
An absorbing career mode, something like F1 2016
- Entire series included as in RRE, not just 1 car here and there AC/RF2 style
- RF2 AI

-
Iracing style system without the heinous price

Handling
-
Rf2 physics - nuff said
edit: after reading another comment I remembered another important one!
- BeamNg damage model( bolded because it's so awesome)

Last edited:
Guess RaceRoom statement is kind of true

"RaceRoom Racing Experience (R3E) is the worldwide leading motorsport simulation for PC and is your point of access to international race series like ADAC GT Masters, DTM and WTCC as well as legendary race cars and world renowned race tracks"
It´s more than a game "RaceRoom Racing Experience is a common platform for all motorsport fans, sim racers and real world race drivers. No other PC game brings you closer to professional motorsports and the drivers of real race series. Race for fame and glory and win cool prizes"

So if RaceRoom (GTR3 or something else has the previous) adds some Road cards (like AC), flag system, dynamic weather, dynamic changing race surface (like AMS), formula 1 (from every era), race licenses and safety rating system to place drivers of similar skill in races together (Like iRacing) then voila....This would be my perfect racing simulation but i guess that would be a dream that will never come true (hope i'm wrong).

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back