What Would You Consider to be the Perfect Simulation?

The perfect sim racing is technically possible but impossible comercially. At least for the current prices of games. It would require so many hours to develop, associate that to the fact that the market for sim racing is relatively small the equation is almost impossible. Only iRacing can do it with it's comercial model. But is that comercial model appealing? NO.

hmm .. get AMS modern graphic engine (with VR support for those VR junkies) and weather, few more full series licences with complete rules and tracks, sounds from R3E, AI with learning capabilities and nonpredefined lines, saves mid-race, ranked online and you are pretty much there ..

For me the close-to-perfect sim would be a combination of the existing sims.

- iRacing's multiplayer and ranking system
- R3E's car classes and audio
- AC's modability and vast array of different car licenses
- rF2's physics, FFB, functions/features/24hr cycle/dynamic track
- PCars graphics (or GTR3 if it looks as good as the screens do)
- And NO requirement to own DLC cars in order to race against them online.

rF2 + AMS + pitboard, pitcrew, marshalls and spotter, etc and I will be ok, because we don't need to simulate only physics but even the "race", the people and the world around you while driving as a fool in a chicane...
rF2 because have the best physics...
AMS because is a complete package overall...

Most of the things people are asking for were available 10 years ago. GTR 2. So what we need is a modern, up to date GTR 2 but with:
Project Cars RRE FFB
Project Cars Assetto Corsa Graphics
Project Cars RF2 Physics
Project Cars GP4 animated pit stops
Project Cars RF2 AI.
Project Cars GP4 Flag System
Project Cars GP4 replays
Project Cars GTR 2 day/night cycle
Project Cars RRE sounds
Project Cars Iracing Multiplayer
Project Cars AMS UI
Project Cars AMS modding
Project Cars RRE tracks
Project Cars RF2 Dynamic Track
Project Cars Indy Car Racing Damage model

Poor old Project Cars.:( Oh, hold on, wet weather racing effects Project Cars F1 2016. Sorry.
Hold on, just found one. Project Cars Helmet View. That is damn good.

Just having a laugh folks. :D Hopefully GTR 3 will have a lot of the wanted/needed things we crave. :thumbsup::)

Seriously though, I would want the user to get a 250 volt electric shock through their VR helmet or Steering wheel if they crash to simulate real pain and to make them avoid dangerous moves. And a 500 volt electric shock for getting all 4 wheels over the solid white lines. ;):laugh:

Last edited:
As has been said, it's not really feasible to do a perfect simulation. My ideal simulation at the moment would be one where I can simulate a motorsport completely if not perfectly. Something closer to what Codies did with F1 2016 rather than the sims we have currently that fail to simulate numerous aspects of a particular style of motorsport in favor of trying to cater a bit to everyone/everything. I don't even like driving formula cars all that much, too many things to focus on besides the racing. That said, something like Codies F1 2016 with AMS physics and AC's ERS management etc would probably have me forfeit all other sims in favor of that one, complete experience. Now ideally for me, it's not F1 but a sportscar series so to mirror Blimey above, here's hoping for GTR3.

I'd still get bored of it and end up playing a less than perfect sim just for a change ;):p:laugh: There's no pleasing simracers :whistling:

I'm a big fan of laserscanned tracks and top quality official licensed content, both very expensive to produce unfortunately :(

Good question!
It all depends on what you want out of a sim.
For me it is relaxation combined with the love for cars and racing.
Assetto Corsa does that trick for me right now, but only because there is something like community racing.
The community I "hangout" with is stuck on AC.
If we go to PCars, then, that would be it.

But, that is just me and my love for "the game"

So, so many people, so many wishes I guess.

View attachment 171799
What is a perfect racing simulation? RaceDepartment have a think on the subject and invite you to share your opinions...

The sim racing scene today is arguably as strong, if not stronger than it has ever been, with many varied and interesting simulations available on the marketplace for us all to enjoy across a number of gaming platforms. If you like trying your hand at the great and the good road cars from across the decades, or want to simulate a real life DTM championship, or sample many of the colourful and unique racing series from around the world then you can, sim racing today pretty much has something for everyone.

For those of us who enjoy large scale online racing careers with professional broadcasting, real world drivers and a complicated rating system to help encourage clean racing, then you can join up to one of the many iRacing events and have your fill of road and oval events. If building up a dream garage of expensive performance cars is more your thing then Forza Motorsport is the perfect solution to scratch that itch. What about mods? If you love collecting cars and tracks lovingly created by the sim racing community then Assetto Corsa seems to be the current 'go to' choice in today's market. What about recreating a season in the World Touring Car Championship? Well that would be RaceRoom Racing Experience. Or how about day to night transition on a dynamically changing race surface? rFactor 2 is for you. Unfortunately despite some truly outstanding elements across the whole spectrum of sims, not one seems to be able to pull all these things together under a single tidy package.

As with all the sims available at present, and with the one's we know about coming further down the line, sim racing is in a bit of a boom period at the moment. But does that mean we can definitively say we have access to a sim that covers all the bases in terms of what a modern sim racer wants? Probably not.

It has been chronicled and debated many times about the different shortcomings of each and every sim that is available both now and in the past. We've debated about things such as missing "essential" features, to differing physics interpretations, from over complicated and sometimes lacklustre force feedback results all the way to the actual approach to the game design itself. Do we want road cars and massive car collection achievements? Do we want a physics sandbox and let the modders fill in the gaps? Do we want real life championships recreated or do we just want a selection of cars from a specific specification of racing such as the ever popular GT3 class? Many sims have some or all of these areas covered to a greater or lesser degree, but the question is - what do YOU consider to be a complete racing simulation? What do YOU want to be made in order to consider that title YOUR "go to" simulation of choice?

Would something a bit different like the ability to free roam around the paddock and spectator areas of the track add some value to you? Would the ability to play different roles within the team, such as team manager, chief mechanic or race engineer be of interest? Could the inclusion of such things as fully working 3D pit crew be enough to tip the scales in favour of the sim? The list is endless, from improving on what we have already, from joining together several things different sims do right into one package and from thinking totally outside the box and bringing in something brand new to the genre, the potential is literally endless.

I thought it would be fun to give us the opportunity to write down in the comments section exactly what you want to see in order to build the ultimate racing simulation game. Don't hold back on your desires, just pop down into the comments and tell us everything you think a complete racing simulation in 2017 should look like. Please do remember though, this is a theoretical exercise and not an opportunity to start a "my sim is bigger than yours" argument ;)

I know for a fact that many of the sim racing developers read this website and will no doubt be watching the comments in this thread. For those of them that don't, I'll make sure with a gentle push that they do! This is our opportunity dear reader to go out and tell the people who make the games exactly what we want to see in the future! Don't waste this chance, with a bit of luck and a fair wind someone with the power to make the decisions might be listening and take some of what we say on-board....

Ok, over to you!

View attachment 171800

Well of course I don't think a 100% perfect in everyone's opinion is a realistic option, but for me the following would go a long way towards that:
  • Physics engine powered by actual real numbers and polished off with real life driver feel.
  • Full range of weather options (including real time weather)
  • Dynamic track (rF2 style but improved)
  • Real racing career ladder (for example - Ginetta Juniors, Ginetta G55's, British GP, GT4, Blancpain GT3, WEC) or something of that sort
  • Proper race weekend schedule (opportunity to set multiple practice sessions to my desired length, quali and race rules etc)
  • Weight penalties.
  • Optional multi race formats / reversed grids etc.
  • Detailed damage model including ability to write off the car, mechanical damage and realistic pit times to repair)
  • Gravel traps that slow the car and you can get stuck in.
  • Manual pit stops (including animated crews)
  • Manual race starts
  • Formation laps
  • Animated flag marshals and pit crew
  • VR support
  • Mod support including liveries
  • Relevant full series dlc packs post release
  • Free roam mode, where you can walk around the outside of the track like a spectator and watch the race. Would be cool to possibly meet up online with others and walk together whilst talking on TS :)
  • Intelligent AI that gives a good race and displays personality traits of each driver
  • Career mode where you can race multiple seasons and drivers move from team to team / up down support series ladder / teams change liveries / sponsors etc
  • Enhanced engineer who helps with setup (not a gimmick but actually a useful help)
  • Driving school module
  • Good robust online functionality including strong dedicated server and broadcast options.
That's about the sum of it. Of course it goes without saying I'd like a strong graphical experience with super detailed FFB (because that's what we use to feel the car at the end of the day).

Would be nice if you could have multiple roles within the team for online, so maybe on person can sit on pitwall with radio comms and access to all the race data and telemetry etc. That would be cool

my dream simulator would be something like this

it would be based on the major world racing series, with some additional stuff to fill-in the gaps , ( like F1, WEC, Blacpan, WTCC, BTCC, some lower tier formula cars, and Nascar for the oval fans)

physics - it would be combination of highly ambitious pCARS ( but sadly, not fully polished) and AC ( keeping it simple and right, even if all the numbers don't necessary make sense )
graphics - probably Gran Turismo Sport
gameplay - I would love a properly done career mode, like it was done in F1 series by Codemasters, with cinematics and all that fun
sounds - R3E
multiplayer - iRacing system, where you get penalized for mis-behaving, and have to be good to get to higher tiers of racing
easy modability from Assetto Corsa
weather system from pCARS

but yeah, won't ever happen , so I take each sim for it's strengths

For me the best simulation is to go to an airport and fly a Cessna 172 for 30 minutes or go the the racetrack and "race" (more driving) a BMW around the track. When coming home its gaming time.

Assetto Corsa Graphics, Rfactor 2 or AMS Physics, Project Cars Night and Rain effects but including different seasons. If it were to be a subscription service then it should be done similar to iRacing as in licenses with all content provided FOC but restricted due to your license level. Not real fussed about careers as I prefer MP.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back