What Videocard Should I Buy?

• Matt Alpeter

that's the same card i upgraded from. you have the 320Mb version?

• Matt Alpeter

haha oh man i ran that card so hard. twas a good little thing and it never let me down until the fan stopped and the thermal paste melted everywhere lol

lol, well my fan is going on mine too, but main problem is I damaged the memory on it overclocking it, well finding the limits, so need a new one soon, still does great though, plays all sims maxed out very smoothly whatever the weather, but need more power as you was feeling :)

Getting closer to starting my build. Didnt know getting a Mobo and GPU is a daunting experiance. Sleepless nights lol. Nigel, keep us informed m8 once you get your GPU.

• Grant Osborne

I recently upgraded my graphics card and ended up going for an ASUS 9800GTX+. It was pretty good bang for buck at AU$315 and a nice step up from my old 7900GT, it actually made a lot difference in GTR Evolution, with all the eye candy on it's as smooth as silk.

For me at that price point versus performance it seemed like the sweet-spot for a new card without going bleeding edge and paying another $150+ for a higher card and not really getting another $150+ extra worth of performance.

Grant :beer:

For a affordable choice that still gives you bang for your buck I would defiantly recommend the nVidia GeForce 9800GTx. My brother uses that card, and he can play all the latest titles on High settings with no setbacks.

On the otherhand, if you are having a midlife crysis, you can opt to buy a set of GeForce 280's in Tri SLi. It would cost you abit but you would have crazy ammounts of GPU power!

Cheers.

Guys, tell me if this is a good deal.

XFX 8800GS 348mb for £49.97. Will GTR-Evo play on max settings with this card? I could buy this and finish my build. Then when the big guns go down in price, I'll invest on a GTX295/ATI 4870X2.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/256237
256237.jpg

Yup will play Evo on max settings without a problem!

It's about the same performance as my 8800GTS 320mb (G80) maybe a touch better, I can play all sims maxed out at any track whatever the conditions and amount of cars.

If you can push just a little more cash you could get a 9600GT which will give ya better performance and will be better for higher resolution as well as having a better cooler, better card basically.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(32723)XpertVision-GeForce-9600-GT-512MB-DDR3-PCIE.aspx

its more than enough if your primary gaming is sim racing. good choice for the money..

Yes very good and plently enough power for today's sims and will even run most new games with the right settings

id rather have an 8800 than a low end 9xxx any day.

It depends what though, 9600gt is very close to a 8800GT and faster then a 8800GS, but also a 9600GSO is the same card as a 8800GS, and then you get 9800GT which is same as a 8800GT, all a bit confusing from nVidia :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%