1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

What video card for best results/$

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by racerx9146, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Hello
    I have been using a AMD Radeon R7 200/1GB ram. I am able to get a average of 40fps with the quality set to medium.

Anybody recomend a video card to get me in the High Quality setting with better fps at a reasonable cost?

regards Daron

2. depending on what you call reasonable cost,what is your price range?nvidia gtx960 or amd r9 380 would be a reasonable price

3. xnorb

xnorb
    Premium Member

I would recommend nVidia for 2 reasons:
    a) 90% of the time AMD isn't able to deliver good drivers
    b) Majority of games are optimized for nVidia

Everytime i look at benchmarks and the price lists i find myself tending to AMD, but those benchmarks are worth nothing. nVidia kicks the living soul out of AMD.

P.S. I'm using AMD cards for the last ~6 years.

4. PaulH

PaulH
    Premium Member

If you can stretch your budget to a nVidia GTX 970, that's probably the best card/$ at the moment, if not what's your budget?

5. Thanks for the input everyone, I am playing Dirt Rally and AC. I was hoping to pay under $500. Any negatives on this card (currently about $500 from the big online discount supplier)

MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G LE GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card

regards Daron

6. PaulH

PaulH
    Premium Member

Well you wont go wrong with any GTX 980 :thumbsup:

7. Ditto, can't go wrong there!

8. Sniper

Sniper
    Premium Member

Excellent card I love mine. Kills my old r9280x

9. For about $650 or so, (Maybe find a better deal?) you can get a 980 Ti card which trades blows with the Titan X which is currently the top of the line Nvidia card. That's the retail price though. Only major difference between the 2 is that the Titan has 12 GB of video ram and the Ti is slightly less powerful in the hardware, has only 6 GB and is about $350 less. (Which is fine atm in games)
    Vanilla 980's are fine tho. :)