What to buy? Fanatec CSW or T500RS

I'm thinking to buy CSW base with the gt2 rim and the v2 pedals, I'm actualy between this and the T500 RS, but I have found reports for bad reliability on fanatec products but there are all 1 year ago. Is there any new feedback on this? Have they fixed the problems or they are still there?

Ok if have given up on thrustmaster 4 emails and weeks later still nothing.

Really strange considering there are numerous reports of people contacting Thrustmaster and getting very quick response and resolution to their problems even if its means TM providing parts. Most people are very satisified with TM's customer service. Fanatec on the other hand...

Upvote 0
Really strange considering there are numerous reports of people contacting Thrustmaster and getting very quick response and resolution to their problems even if its means TM providing parts. Most people are very satisified with TM's customer service. Fanatec on the other hand...
Fanatec on the other hand what? I've read several people who have been satisfied with their customer service. Just like like Kostons case with TM, there are good and bad experiences with most if not all companies.

Upvote 0
Fanatec on the other hand what? I've read several people who have been satisfied with their customer service. Just like like Kostons case with TM, there are good and bad experiences with most if not all companies.

Just read far more bad than good with Fanatec and the opposite with TM. Fanatec has had a pretty bad reputation when it comes to reliability and customer service for a few years now. I hope they've improved because competition is always good for the consumer.

Upvote 0
Agree on that - from my experience they reply within 24 - 48 hours.
Prob. Thrustmaster does the same but still something can go wrong in the system in any company.

Also good to hear. I've been considering a set of ClubSport v2 pedals for three months now but just haven't been able to bring myself to pull the trigger when I read about so many bad experiences with Fanatec reliability and customer service. Its good to hear some positive reviews. I think I will probably grab some ClubSport v2's to use with my Thrustmaster TX if we ever get confirmation that the T500RS will be work with the PS4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just came across this post from the CEO of Fanatec, Thomas Jackermeier, where he talks about the motor issue on the CSW. Ofc you could claim that it's just the "official story" and that we will never really know the truth, but I think it sounds plausible and I choose to believe him;
The motors of the CSW are the same or similar as used in millions of FF wheels. There was a large batch of bad motors which caused big problems but with the latest motors those issues are gone.

Think about it. We are using the same motor on the Porsche wheels with 2,5 A and we use 2 of those motors in the CSW at 5A. The application is the same and stall is stall - no matter how you achieve it.

The problem was a wrong soldering method and wire shielding which was not suitable for high temperature. Only a limited amount of motors were affected but we are still talking about hundreds of wheels and even replacement motors had the issue as it took us too long to find out the root cause.

And it occurs ore likely if you race very often and so does the very vocal and influential minority of opinion leaders. That is the reason why you read so often about the issue.

If a motor is replaced now or if you purchase a CSW new and don't overclock your FOR or SPR power above 100 then you will be just fine. No engine will last forever and it always depends how you treat it. No matter if it is a real car or one of our wheels. But our products are designed for heavy use and the motor itself is fit for the purpose.
Source: http://eu.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/comment/291#Comment_291

Hope this sheds some light upon that situation at least, I know I still want a CSW... badly........

Upvote 0
In fairness, what would you expect from a CEO in damage control mode? I'd bet my house that a T500 is more reliable than a CSW, even made today. However, if you simply prefer Fanatec for their designs or function, who am I to tell you how to spend your money?

Upvote 0
I've had the CSW since November and I've had the motors get hot once since that time. That experience taught me what to watch for and how to avoid it. In AC, the Z4 GT3 can cause overheating at 70% gain. That is also in clipping territory so dialing that down is needed anyway.

I use presets on the wheel with various levels of Force to be able to adjust the strength while in game and on the fly. Being in a race and changing presets to increase or decrease Force strength is quite doable on the straights. Each car has it's own sweet spot in force strength so the ability to change on the fly is really great.

I have no doubt that running high forces with the typical CSW will damage motors over time. I choose to keep my force settings low so that I never notice any hot air coming out of the base at all. Even using conservative settings, the force strength and fidelity easily surpass those of the G25. I've never used a T500 so I can't offer any comparison to that.

Upvote 0
I've had the CSW since November and I've had the motors get hot once since that time. That experience taught me what to watch for and how to avoid it. In AC, the Z4 GT3 can cause overheating at 70% gain. That is also in clipping territory so dialing that down is needed anyway.

I use presets on the wheel with various levels of Force to be able to adjust the strength while in game and on the fly. Being in a race and changing presets to increase or decrease Force strength is quite doable on the straights. Each car has it's own sweet spot in force strength so the ability to change on the fly is really great.

I have no doubt that running high forces with the typical CSW will damage motors over time. I choose to keep my force settings low so that I never notice any hot air coming out of the base at all. Even using conservative settings, the force strength and fidelity easily surpass those of the G25. I've never used a T500 so I can't offer any comparison to that.

Ek mods and problem solved. Ya its a little pricey, but I personally wont deal for "conservative" when we've paid what we have for our gear.

Upvote 0
Its been some time since someone posted but I am compelled to add my 2 cents worth. I own a number of Fanatec products - CSR Elite, pedals, shifter. Handbrake + adaptor, CSW V1 base and universal hub. All of which I use only 10% or less vs my T500 RS. BUT I will never buy another Fanatec product again no matter how good it looks (and it does look so good) if the aftersales service does not significantly improve.

I had an issue with the handbrake and getting them to send me a measly replacement cable and adaptor is causing more grief than is worth. After countless exchanges over emails and repeating the same story over the course of 3 weeks...they have yet to ship out or let me know that this is being taken care of. So buyer BEWARE!

btw my T500 has been nothing but awesome. so it doesnt look as good but it has been nothing but faultless and gives waaay better ffb than both my Fanatec wheels (hence it is my primary wheel)

Upvote 0
Extremely happy owner of a CSW v2 here, I'm so happy with it that I'm not looking at the next step up in price even, and being me that says a lot, cos I tend to always drool over the next upgrade even when I'm quite satisfied with what I've got. Have yet to experience any issues with it but my customer experience with Fanatec support has been great with my previous wheel (GT3).

Upvote 0
Fanatec CS is awesome, When guys out of warranty can get PCB's and Other Critical internal parts for a rebuild, that's what i consider pretty good After sales support.
Actually, this was one of the reasons I finally decided to go with the CSW v2, I have seen the work @eKretz did with v1 and am hoping that he (or someone else if not him) will do something equally impressive with the v2 by the time I might need it (if ever).

Upvote 0
Personally, having owned a number of wheels, I find Fanatec wheels precise, fast ...but dead in terms of feel. The T500 has a certain quality to it that just makes it feel more "car like" (which was described by another reviewer so not taking credit for this description) and I have to agree.

I am tempted by the V2 but it just seems more of the same. I will see if I have a chance to test a friends before deciding if I should purchase another to add to my collection. Oh and I have also tried the Accuforce...powerful, fast...but finnicky and will test your patience if you want to set it up right.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back