1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your ideal weapon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mohameddo-san, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Mohameddo-san

F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

I like Swords, particularly, the ones with longer blades.

One-handed - Longswords, Broadswords, Katanas (if held properly and trained thoroughly in holding it one-handed), and Scimitars

Two-handed - Claymores, Zweihanders, Katanas

In terms of a gun, here are my preferences:

Older guns - Revolver; Tanegashima

Newer guns - Glocks and any sniper rifle

To be honest, I am not really into guns.

I was thinking of practising archery, but, I don't want to unintentionally kill someone even though I am shooting targets.

I know most of you are a sensible lot, but, please do the following:

Before you reply, please refrain from talking about killing anything, unless you were hunting animals like foxes for people in Britain and France. I won't look down or up on you if you hunt for sport; that is something I prefer not to do in good conscience. If I hunt, I do so only for food.

And in good conscience, I don't believe someone like myself who has Aspergers' should carry any lethal weapon and I hope my jurisdiction does its part in making sure of that.
  2. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Um Claymores, why???
  3. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

My father and share a collection of nine rifles and four handguns. We don't hunt, but we used to go to the rifle/pistol range a lot when i was younger. Now many of the ranges have been shut down and have been replaced with houses. Our guns now sit uselessly in a gun safe.

When i used to go to the range i would take with me

Ruger #1 300 win magnum for 250yard targets
    Ruger M14 .223 cal for 100 yard targets
    Ruger 10/22 .22 cal for 25/50 yard targets

Smith & Wesson M1006 10mm pistol for the pistol range. Targets there were set at 25 yards.
  4. Ive been a shooter & a hunter since my teens
    Here in Oz it's all but impossible to own any rifle or shotgun thats semi-auto & since the ban on ownership for self defence, gun crime here has soared through the roof!

I prefer my centerfire bolt actions to be built on k98 Mauser actions, Ive had several over the years & still have a couple...
    My all time favourite (now on my second one) is my 8x57mm Mauser which is basically a re-stocked ex-WW2 rifle that has had a 3-9X40 Leupold 'scope fitted.
    Fairly accurate & carries more stopping power than most beasts need on this continent.
    I also have a 6.5mm/.284 Norma on another Mauser action with medium heavy-weight 26" barrel, after-market detachable magazine & 8-32x56 Nightforce 'scope.
    Highly accurate & probably the most suitable centerfire for an 'all-round' here in Oz.
    I started work on a.223Remington/5.56Nato fed on a 'mini-Mauser' action (Mark-X) with a 26" Heavy-weight barrel when the money from my last permanent job ran out.
    It still needs stocking-preferably laminate -& a 'scope- probably another Nightforce, this time a 5.5-20x56.
    I also have a 12gauge lever-action Winchester re-make by a Norinco subsiduary.
    Bloody good tool for chasing pigs in confined places such as blackberry patches & wot-not....
    And then there's the babies/the little ones...
    Im part way through re-building my fathers.22K Hornet on a Martini-Henry action which is a single shot lever action that was available in the colonies for Police & training of Army Cadets & was originally available in .310.
    I also have a .22Lithgow single shot bolt-action (now highly modified & almost obligatory to own one down here ;-) ) & a CZ/Bruno .22bolt-action repeater that was used successfully until recently by myself & others at the local range for rim-fire events.
    I also have a re-curve bow with replace-able limbs which allows me to run it at either 40 or 60lbs which I mainly use for target shooting- I find it a very relaxing thing to do actually, almost a Zen like state comparable to Golf or Rowing (Ive never played Golf though...)
    As for edge-ware, when I was younger I went dogging pigs a few times & preferred using my Tanto knife for that work but these days I usually take a couple of ex-butchers knives with me for the grizzly task of bringing home the meat unless Im chasing Rabbit's, in which case I take a ground-down 'Cut Throat' razor as it is like using a sharp finger....
    I'd like to get into pistol shooting but I don't see it happening for some time yet...

[EDIT] BTW, I look at my firearms not as weapons, but as tools....
    It's such a shame that the majority of society have been conditioned into believing that they're not!
  5. I'd take a Chinese sword like the Jian. A gentlemen's weapon but I would need some practice with it........

Other than that I would pack some throwing knives.......first learning how to use them of course.

And a bolt action rifle......a Mosin Nagant would do. Plus a semi auto pistol........something reliable. 1911, Makarov, Beretta 92fs.
  6. Light Saber FTW.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Manuel De Samaniego

Manuel De Samaniego
    3X Race Department Rally Champion

nice, lol at SERIOUS DISCUSSION!!!!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mohameddo-san

F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

Pardon me, Hermano Manuel! I was simply afraid the thread would boil over, but, I think too much, I underestimate the sensibility of many users on here, and I project too much.

I wish I knew of a way to fix this. :/
  9. As long as it kills Zombies nicely, I'm happy :)
  10. Light saber will do that....AND make an awesome sound while you do it..

Can toast things on it as well. Open door, just shove it in and make a hole.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Baaaaaacooooooooon.... *drools*
  12. Yea, even popcorn as well. ;)
  13. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

• Like Like x 4
  14. Kevin Ascher

Kevin Ascher
    #47 Roaring Pipes Maniacs

I have never held a weapon in my hands :)