1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best simulation racing ?

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Eric Bergeron, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Eric Bergeron

Eric Bergeron
    Premium Member

" What is the best simulation racing? " :rolleyes:

This question is very common and often starts a long debate about this issue.

The goal here is not to start a debate because it is often a matter of personal perception, experience, hardware and especially a lack of feeling "Seat of the pants"

My goal is simply to share a very interesting link that I found to be a personal idea of the physics behind several video games.

You will find a lot of information missing for AC but I imagine there are a lot of resemblance to his brother NKP.

It would be interesting as a person who hold the right information on AC can insert it.

good read :cool:

2. thx. as an AC fan its nice to see netkar hit so many boxes (and that it had freaking rain!)

wish it was a bit more up to date. AC, Rf2, GSCE all missing.

iracing doesnt come out looking so hot either, imo.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Judging sims by features or tech details is like judging restaurants by the menu. It tells you nothing until you had a taste yourself.

Supposedly shift had the most complex tire model ever made, yet it drove like shi(f)t.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. true, its a feature checklist far moreso than a quality one. but i think thats obvious.
  5. I guess the other factor is that great simulators might have not so good values put in them for whatever marketing reasons.

So it can be a great simulation, that has bad numbers plugged in by design.

Or vice versa, it might look quite limited, but all the numbers are well tuned for a really enjoyable experience.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eric Bergeron

Eric Bergeron
    Premium Member

normally we judge the quality by the characteristics, right?
  7. Why would a good simulator go through the pain of developping a time consuming and complex physics model and then put in wrong numbers? There are easier ways to create an ejoyable driving experience.

Charasterics are only as good as their implementation. Say, for instance, that simulator X simulates carcass flex, and simulator Y doesn't. If X messed up tire flex, it could be a worse simulator then Y.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Even if i think that the linked source is quite interesting, it tells nothing about "best" or "worst" simulation.

The physics engine of GRID2 runs with 1000Hz, but nobody would argue that GRID2 is one of the best simulations. ;)
  9. Well NFS Shift used a links and rods type suspension but then only had a few generic suspensions for each car, rather than the specific ones.

So there is an example of good sim, wrong numbers.

For the other, plenty of old games like GPL missed out on what some may call important fundamentals in the physics engine, and even some numbers they used were then looking a bit suspect for accuracy, but the end result is one of the best driving sims ever.

So there is an example of a less than 'perfect' simulation, with good numbers.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. In himdsight very few call GPL accurate nowadays.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eric Bergeron

Eric Bergeron
    Premium Member

This is true but how can we base ourselves to say that these are bad numbers?
  12. Eric Bergeron

Eric Bergeron
    Premium Member

If there are bad numbers, change them. It is the purpose of this thread to inform the beginner like me! ;)
  13. Probably Super Sprint (1986).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    • Haha Haha x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    Premium Member

Considering it's time of release and age, no wonder. But in it's heyday it was the ducks nuts, the pinnacle of race sims, in 20+yrs the same will be said of AC I guess, a bit like comparing a 68 Camaro to a 2010 Camaro, the only thing they have in common is their name.
  15. But what is accuracy?

All these simulators are just approximations for reality.

Even non-realtime simulations are just approximations.

In hindsight GPL was accurate enough to feel right, and to give correct looking behaviours, and give correct looking performance numbers.

What more do you want?

I agree with your point in the end. The combination of physics engine and values used is what matters, and you'll only appreciate those once you drive the sim.

But everyone has different tastes too, and different expectations of realism and how cars are conveyed from reality to simulator.

Tough to judge except to just try it and see if *you* like it :D
  16. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

I just like AC because it's terrific quality product at an absolute highway robbery price.

Also, the fact that it's made by really passionate sim racers who just want to make the best possible racing experience.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  17. So true.
  18. No real answer to this question! Everyone is going to have their own opinion.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. if you ask for sim rally there is still only one RBR :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  20. I get, and i agree, with what you said.
    But it would've been easier to just say, The physics engine on NFS Shift is more advanced/powerful than the GPL one, but it's implementation is lacking/simplified... And implementation is "everything".

This video kinda sums it up.