What graphic card for Oculus?

I'd like yo upgrade my cockpit to use Oculus. I have a i7 with 16 gb of ram, but my card (970) is barely enough for Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa at 1080 / 60 fps. I know Oculus demands for fps and more power, but how much? I play these games at high quality and I do not want to sacrifice any detail with virtual reality. If I have to wait some years I will do so, but is there now any card that is more than capable of running these two games at max or very high quality with perfect performance in VR? Maybe a 1080Ti?

I'd like yo upgrade my cockpit to use Oculus. I have a i7 with 16 gb of ram, but my card (970) is barely enough for Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa at 1080 / 60 fps. I know Oculus demands for fps and more power, but how much? I play these games at high quality and I do not want to sacrifice any detail with virtual reality. If I have to wait some years I will do so, but is there now any card that is more than capable of running these two games at max or very high quality with perfect performance in VR? Maybe a 1080Ti?
At high a 1080Ti would be the minimum for VR sims but VR does not have the same sharpness as 1080p on a TV and is a very different experience, have you tried it?

Which i7 do you have? I have an i7 3930k 4.2GHz which isn’t enough for multiples of some settings on high in either Dirt Rally or AC, so if it’s not a heavily overclocked recent one then you’ll need to upgrade that too.

Realistically you’ll need a 1180Ti/2080Ti and an i7 8700k to hit max settings with supersampling for best image quality and 90fps.

Upvote 0
I play these games at high quality and I do not want to sacrifice any detail with virtual reality.

In which case the current VR is probably not for you. The resolution and image sharpness of VR is no way near as good as on a monitor, whatever GPU you use. You have to be prepared to trade off image quality for the amazing immersion you get in VR.

Upvote 0
I have not tried it yet, but I have no room for 3 monitors. I don't mind lower resolution or bluryness. What I don't want is lower texture details, lower shadows or lower geometry, for insance. However, considering the specs that have been mentioned, I think I will wait one or two years before changing my current setup. Let's hope by then the prices of the hardware are more reasonable than now.

Upvote 0
I have a 1080Ti and overclocked i7-8700k. Just like triples and 4k monitors, to feed those extra pixels at the higher settings you have to spend the big bucks. VR does hammer the CPU more than you'd expect and heavily impacted by the CPU, multi-threaded CPU's make a difference.

Even the 1080Ti forces you to compromise on graphics settings. No post processing and mix of mostly medium settings, one or two on high and low on shadows. And settings vary from title to title. AC is pretty forgiving, but PC2 is more demanding.

Nvidia are soon to announce the next version of their cards, I couldn't recommend buying the 1080Ti right now as faster cards are coming in as soon as a couple of months and 1080Ti prices have soared far beyond the RRP of their original prices due to cyrpto currency miners going nuts and buying up all the stocks.

Some people with 1070's would argue they have amazing sim racing performance, and the more expensive cards is not needed. Or indeed their 2500k CPU from 2011 is great for VR. Sure if you go to the lowest settings, and ignore the headsets using software re-projection to fill in the dropped frames. The reality is no PC setup can get close to max settings in any sim title in VR, and the best you can hope is the better PC spec the fewer the compromises.

Personally I hate the distracting shimmering edges you get in VR sim titles without anti-aliasing or supersampling. With my setup I can balance the settings to eliminate shimmering along with decent (not amazing) visuals throughout and importantly a constant 90fps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back