• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Featured What Ever Happened to KartKraft?

Discussion in 'KartKraft' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +11,466
    KartKraft 2.jpg
    KartKraft has been around in various guises for a few years now, having undergone a transformation from the early KartSim title to its new home on Unreal Engine 4, receiving a change of name and quite a bit of anticipation since it received Steam Green Light approval back in 2014 - but where on earth has it gone?

When we spoke with Black Delta CEO Zach Griffin back in March things were in full swing at the studio with a closed beta programme starting up and Early Access release just around the corner. Following the closed beta testing period the proposed Early Access date received a knock back, with the studio claiming they needed time to 'iron out' some details with the game. Sadly after that a period of radio silence followed, to much criticism from fans and media (not least of which was myself), as the sim kind of disappeared into a black hole as far as gamers were concerned. Popping up on FaceBook in early June, the studio acknowledged via a statement to fans that communication had been poor up to that point , with promises to do better in future. To help ease the wait and prove that the game was indeed in full swing behind the scenes, Black Delta released a big batch of admittedly impressive in game shots from the closed beta testing, again highlighting the highly impressive visuals of a title that promised to be a most visually impressive next generation kart racing simulation. That was in late June 2016 - since then... nothing. Worried? I am.

KartKraft 4.jpg

So why the big deal? Well perhaps a little background will help those of you who haven't closely followed this game in recent years...

KartKraft / KartSim has been around for years. Literally years. First announced back in 2007, the title promised a great deal but has been hamstrung somewhat by a severe lack of any kind of dialogue from the studio with us expectant fans. Coupled to a serial habit of missing deadlines as development progresses throughout the life of the game, things have been a bit ropey for a while.

Since the 2007 announcement the game just hasn't seemed to gather traction behind the scenes as one would have expected. The original KartSim title spent its early life on the Ogre engine, until Black Delta moved over to Unity during 2011/12. Further work behind the scenes and a few little previews here and there later, the game was rebadged as KartKraft and found its way to the Unreal 4 Engine. Zach Griffin explains:

"Until 2010/2011, the only suitable middleware that existed was a rendering engine called Ogre that handled the graphical side of things. That was great, but when you were making a game back then, most of the time was spent creating a game engine with all the capabilities that we required. Not only was it the rendering library; I had to create the physics engine from scratch, alongside integrating the input, networking and all of the other sub systems that make up an engine. It was at that time that I moved to using Unity that just been released, and had matured enough to start using. I wrote the prototype using Unity, essentially re-writing the game back in 2011/2012. I spent 12 months buried deep in code, all while developing the art, audio alongside the main game. The prototype was completed 2012, having spent considerable time writing the physics specifically for karting."
    Now please don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited as the next person about this game. I'm just so frustrated to see a potentially excellent addition to the sim racing family receiving such rough treatment from those responsible for its development. Kart racing is an extremely competitive form of motorsport right at the grass routes of the racing ladder, and as such holds a special place in many race fans hearts. Personally I think a solid, attractive and realistic mainstream simulation of the sport could very much prove to be a popular title and achieve some level of commercial success, it's just that a lot of the good will that this game has won is getting slowly squandered as the team behind the scenes continue to neglect their most valuable commodity... the fans.

After out chat with Zach and Co. back in March I was impressed. The guys were really enjoyable to speak with and Zach's love of the sport came through loud and clear. At the time they seemed very much like they understood what they wanted from the game and how they were going to get there. To be perfectly frank, I'd even go so far as to say they gave me the impression they just might represent a breath of fresh air into the sim racing genre that can only be good news for us sim racing fans. I hope, I really genuinely hope that Black Delta can sort out KartKraft and release a game that meets the potential we all hope it will. The signs don't exactly point to a positive end result at the moment, but I nevertheless remain optimistic for an eventual release next year. Hopefully.

KartKraft is a next generation karting simulation intended for Windows PC. The title is currently in closed beta state and a release date has yet to be announced.

Check out our KartKraft forum here on RaceDepartment for news and discussions around this highly anticipated karting simulator. Read up on our exclusive interview with Black Delta's Zach Griffin and check out the latest previews.

KartKraft 1.jpg KartKraft 3.jpg KartKraft 5.jpg

Are you looking forward to KartKraft? Is this the kind of game would you consider purchasing? Do you think the game will see light of day in 2017? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo

Ratings:
    +429
    • Like Like x 1
  3. KoshaPashkin

KoshaPashkin
    Reiza Studios Premium

Ratings:
    +162
    From FB
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  4. Keanu Buschmann

Keanu Buschmann

Ratings:
    +18
    Thats Kart Racing Pro. Also a great Sim. It's already released but not on Steam :(

5. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Ratings:
    +11,466
    Kart Racing Pro. Looks awesome and soon as its on Steam its getting added to the library! :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Craig Stevenson

Craig Stevenson
    Premium

Ratings:
    +144
    I've missed the fact that KRP was on Steam, I've only ever downloaded it from the KRP Forum, how can I get\activate the Steam version, my non-Steam serial doesn't work on Steam :(

7. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Ratings:
    +11,466
    Sadly its not on Steam yet :( Should be in future however :)

8. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Ratings:
    +11,466
    *for sale that is

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +16,461
    It's becoming a story without an end. I remember well the first initial hype from 2007 at RaceSimCentral and here we are 10 years later: still no kart game. Same stories, same promises, same lack of communication and people are still pumped to try a decent karting game.

Was disappointed with the awkward terms of entering their beta but the loud silence afterwards made me loose faith that we are ever going to see this game come to life.

10. Slalom823

Slalom823
    RDTCC S10 Champion Premium

Ratings:
    +429
    It does look interesting and hopefully it comes out. Until then, what does everyone think is the current best representation of karts? Gt6??? Okay, maybe not, but I think AMS karts seem quite good. I am curious to hear others favorite karting sim currently available.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gray Fox

Gray Fox

Ratings:
    +38
    It seemed that the game was going to come out on a very close date, I mistrusted, it has already happened several times. Since 2011 have been taking pictures and videos of this game, even have changed the name.

12. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,218
    Yes I agree with your sentiments @Paul Jeffrey this was a sim I was looking forward to trying.

Partly because a lot of people felt that the unreal engine could be the next big thing visually in sim racing and it would have been nice to see one finally become available.

On the flip side maybe that is partly the issue. Maybe trying to get the physics to work properly have become a problem but I'm only guessing. Obviously something is not quite right that's causing big issues for them. If the game was 95% stable and the early access price was right I would gladly give it a go. I would imagine some of us on here would think the same.

The problem with most sims with karts now is they have to base the car model and physics on a suspension model. Whereas a kart flexes in the chassis instead. This would have been something special on this sim.

I would imagine that marketing the game is probably a problem as well. For those of us on here we would be happy to spend a few quid on a decent kart sim but the majority of the gamer market are interested in F1 or Forza. It's a tough market to break into but Reiza have managed to achieve a great fan base with AMS and GSCE before it.

The only thing I would like to see is Superkarts in the game. If you're going to do a kart sim, really go for it and feature a wide catalogue to choose from. As much variety as possible is great and keeps the game interesting. Same for the tracks as well but all of this could be added as DLC's at a later date.

So hopefully the game won't be abandoned. Fingers crossed we'll see it on Steam in 2017.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ricoow

Ricoow
    RedShift Racing RDLMS #6 Premium

Ratings:
    +1,110
    So basically you are reporting: this game is STILL upcoming. Sounds like advertisements rather than news.

• Wow Wow x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chris

Chris
    Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +5,811
    KartKraft: I want to see more of it, and then suddenly none of it... Forever.

15. Sky

Sky

Ratings:
    +139
    The karting equivalent of Racing Legends.

16. Blimey

Blimey
    Banned

Ratings:
    +199
    clearly will never sell enough to produce any profits.

17. Velopl

Velopl
    Premium

Ratings:
    +130
    Personally I don't want to hear any news about this sim anymore . if they release it that's great probably I'll still buy it but at this stage I'd simply not believe any news about it. they got people hyped after interview, now...it's a downhill for me

18. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Ratings:
    +11,466
    I wouldn't say it was advertisement :) It's actually quite a stinging criticism of the game / developers if you read the article carefully ;) More an open question to the community / Black Delta asking what the future holds for KK.

If you think its an advert, please don't go work in marketing :D:roflmao: (joke of course!)

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Niels_at_home

Niels_at_home
    Reiza Studios

Ratings:
    +313
    Remember that this game has been in 'development' and 'almost done' for I think no less than 10 years. They at some point promised a demo in 2007 !! (geez that IS almost 10 years ago)

So regardless of there being good or bad reasons for this, its unwise to expect great things soon or probably ever.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Frank Lehmann

Frank Lehmann

Ratings:
    +193
    Perhaps they will do an additional Mario Kart mode, and the sales will explode.:D:rolleyes:

• Haha Haha x 1