PC1 What driving aids do you use?

I don`t know if I'm very clumsy but excluding underpowered car, I have to use at least the traction control and ABS to have fun and be a little relaxed driving. Without any help I find it too stressful, perhaps for practical or hot lap but with other cars on the track IA or online is almost impossible not to make a mistake.
Honestly, do you think that most players running with aid or without them?

Being faster with aids or no aids depends on the car you are driving. RWD cars tend to be slower on a single lap without activated aids as you have the risk to oversteer when pushing the gas too hard on the exit of the corner.

I personally prefer driving without any support as I like to feel the characteristics of the car and how it reacts, e.g. fast direction changes, breaking on bumpy roads, under-/oversteer etc.
This is a very true comment.Driving aids mask the handling of the car,and also the physics of the game I would imagine.

I've recently switched to 'real' aids and driving the GT3 cars all 3 are on... Its a lot easier yo drive but I feel like I'm cheating a little.

Although, I did turn ABS off and completely failed, I can never ever master hard braking without locking up, slightly annoying!

I did fiddle with the traction settings though, so it gives a little bit of spin before it comes on.

I was always under the assumption that no aids if used properly make you quicker than all aids on? Or am I wrong?
The more you practice,the more you will feel how the car reacts.Remember slow in fast out.Try braking a little earlier and setting up the corner better.With practice,when you lock up you'l be able to ease off the brakes and stop the understeer.I hope i'm not coming across as patronising,just helping a fellow racer.There are some really clever people on this site who know far more than I.It would be worth having a look around the forum and soaking in all the information.:thumbsup:

The more you practice,the more you will feel how the car reacts.Remember slow in fast out.Try braking a little earlier and setting up the corner better.With practice,when you lock up you'l be able to ease off the brakes and stop the understeer.I hope i'm not coming across as patronising,just helping a fellow racer.There are some really clever people on this site who know far more than I.It would be worth having a look around the forum and soaking in all the information.:thumbsup:

No not coming across like that at all, I'm glad for all the advice i can get :)

Call me old school but I don't think race cars should have driving aids.Its man against machine or with machine whichever people prefer.:)

You got it Old School. :D And I agree with you 100% when it comes to the older machines and modern cars that don't have ABS or TCS. But I consider myself a "League Rules" kind of guy. If the series I'm running in allows no aids, then I bite the bullet and run what I brung. If KERS or DRS, ABS, or TCS are allow, then I may use them. I say "may" because as was stated above:

Being faster with aids or no aids depends on the car you are driving. RWD cars tend to be slower on a single lap without activated aids as you have the risk to oversteer when pushing the gas too hard on the exit of the corner.

Depending on the car and the course, using aids may slow your lap times quite a bit. TCS is the worst offender for that. But if you are a late braker (like me :redface:), ABS can save you from making a lot of enemies online.

So I try to maintain a good balance between racing everyone fair and properly using the tools the Car Gods gave us. But it's all based on the car still. You would never catch me using KERS on a Lotus 49 or TCS on a Hemi 'Cuda. :laugh:

You got it Old School. :D And I agree with you 100% when it comes to the older machines and modern cars that don't have ABS or TCS. But I consider myself a "League Rules" kind of guy. If the series I'm running in allows no aids, then I bite the bullet and run what I brung. If KERS or DRS, ABS, or TCS are allow, then I may use them. I say "may" because as was stated above:

Depending on the car and the course, using aids may slow your lap times quite a bit. TCS is the worst offender for that. But if you are a late braker (like me :redface:), ABS can save you from making a lot of enemies online.

So I try to maintain a good balance between racing everyone fair and properly using the tools the Car Gods gave us. But it's all based on the car still. You would never catch me using KERS on a Lotus 49 or TCS on a Hemi 'Cuda. :laugh:

You make a very good point.And I'd not considered it.I'm yet to brave the online racing.I don't want to become mobile chicane and upset everyone's race.But everyone on here is really friendly, so I may have to dip my toe in soon.:)

You make a very good point.And I'd not considered it.I'm yet to brave the online racing.I don't want to become mobile chicane and upset everyone's race.But everyone on here is really friendly, so I may have to dip my toe in soon.:)

I don't do a lot of online racing, but I like to see where I am in comparison to everyone else on average. I usually tend to end up in the back somewhere, but it's fun anyway and I learn a lot from racing with and watching other people. I'm "dctoe" everywhere except Gran Turismo 6, where I am "r34love." (Any guesses about my favorite Nissan)? :thumbsup:

I don't do a lot of online racing, but I like to see where I am in comparison to everyone else on average. I usually tend to end up in the back somewhere, but it's fun anyway and I learn a lot from racing with and watching other people. I'm "dctoe" everywhere except Gran Turismo 6, where I am "r34love." (Any guesses about my favorite Nissan)? :thumbsup:
The awesome R34!.Are you the PC and steam?

Just do it. Quite a few of us are mobile chicanes for the alien racers. But we get quicker every race. It's great fun. :thumbsup:

I usually use the car's default aids. On old cars I like no aids, on modern cars or abs or both abs and tcs, in gt2 usually both aids.. But it also depends on the fun I'm spotting to (lap timing or just freerun fun) and my concentration (for example if I put headphones on, I can disable every aid since I hear tires more).

I go all aids off,i just like to feel the car as it should be felt.The Lotus 49 is a nightmare to handle.I was wondering about the Time Trail times online,are the assist times and assists off times all on the same leaderboard?.I had a go at the Lotus 49 on Oulton international and i'm a mile off the top time.I'm convinced the top guy is running with assists.My steam profile is bendigo36.

Ahhh yes, I know this feeling all too well. That feeling of "is that guy an alien or just a cheater???". There's a good way to check...

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=545979690&vehicle=578969971

As you can see, the top guy is clearly an alien ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back