What do you want on Thursdays after the Elite Series is completed?

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
All,
This coming Thursday (13/5) we have RDHGP Round 2, the following week (20/5), we have the final Elite Series events @ Dijon Short & Pau 67, and then RDHGP Round 3 the week after (27/5).

My question to you all is - what type of events do you want to run on the non-RDHGP Thursdays?

We/you have the option of:
  1. A "Full Field" series like the TC65 & GTC72 we did previously, where you have to use each car once,
  2. Some "Car A vs Car B, Single Track" events like Carlos is currently running, changing car each race,
  3. Some "Single Car" events like the Elites format where we all drive the same car on 2 different tracks,
  4. Some "Sprint / Feature" events where we drive 2 races around differing layouts of the same track, or
  5. A Jumble of all of the above
The poll is open and multichoice, so we can see your choice(s), and as always, people who actually turn up and drives votes will carry much more weight with me than people we never see apart from when points are at stake.

I was planning to introduce the BMW 320 mod by Team 21 soon. There's a crap load of skins included with the mod. It would be nice as a single series car. Same thing Thommo did with the Elites except instead of slow car and small tracks, fast car on big tracks. Only problem is that the car is somewhat of a pain to drive, I have been trying to get a setup that makes it easier to handle, but lately I've been busy with real life and haven't gotten around to it.

I voted for a sprint/feature setup. But keeping it in one car would be nice, maybe something fast since we're running the 65's in the league. Maybe the Pantera or Capri for the biggest contrast to the Elite.

Well, I say no, I'm afraid.

We (RD GTL) don't have the depth of support to make it viable, mostly for the teams to be balanced.

Looking at the RDHGP & Club events, taking the extremes, Poland & UK would be huge teams, Norway would just be Knut.

If I said 2 members per team, that would suit you and possibly the US (Phil & Carlos), but the other nationalities would struggle to either make a team, or more pertinently who to leave out.

I could just as easily say yes, but each team must have 6 members. Poland & UK are laughing, possibly Netherlands too, but no-one else. Where do I draw the line?

I'd rather avoid that sort of arbitrary stuff wherever possible.

Maybe a pairs team series is possible, but I always prefer the randomised team selection for the same reasons I gave the last time the subject of choosing our own teammates got raised.

The random team thing is great. A series of team events would be awesome assuming we all would be present at all of them. But the biggest issue is that real life steps in and we can't all make it to all the events. This is understandable, but it would suck to be partnered up with someone who can't make it to the events.

Now a single team event, that's more feasible, but then you have to hope for an even number of drivers.

Tom, go take a spin in the E21 320...
It makes the Capri and Pantera seam docile at times. Not because it's faster (I don't know if it is yet, haven't yet compared times) but because it's tricky to drive. But it has this crazy engine sound lol. It's really great when you can keep it on the track. I just wish it was a little easier to drive.

P.S. I see that no one voted for the VERSUS type events that I have been throwing up lately, is this because they are already being used for Tuesdays and Thursdays should be used for something different (I agree with this of course, that's why I have been using the faster cars and bigger tracks while Thommo runs the Elites, to have some contrast.) Or because you guys don't really like being forced to drive 2 very different cars in one event? Be honest with me please lol. I have been running those events cuz you guys seem to like them.

I noticed that too - I strongly suspect that it's because you're already running them on Tuesdays currently, and the boys want something different on Thursdays.

Looking at the attendance & feedback, there's simply no way in hell that the versus events aren't popular.

Sending you a PM now, by the way.

P.S. I see that no one voted for the VERSUS type events that I have been throwing up lately, is this because they are already being used for Tuesdays and Thursdays should be used for something different (I agree with this of course, that's why I have been using the faster cars and bigger tracks while Thommo runs the Elites, to have some contrast.) Or because you guys don't really like being forced to drive 2 very different cars in one event? Be honest with me please lol. I have been running those events cuz you guys seem to like them.
Stuart Thomson said:
I noticed that too - I strongly suspect that it's because you're already running them on Tuesdays currently, and the boys want something different on Thursdays.

What Stuart said :).

Love the versus events.

I love the vs type of events running Tuesdays, they help to gauge the relative performance of each car, they force us to drive cars that we may not always try, and they seem to give everyone a chance by mixing things up a bit. I have always enjoyed that style of event, so I hope they continue. Obviously thursdays should be different though.

(Sorry I'm not racing as much lately, some real life issues have gotten in the way.)

OK - thanks those of you who voted and commented.

Once we managed to assure Carlos that no votes for the "Versus" events was actually an endorsement of his events so far, the voting is quite interesting.

The Single Car events obviously got top billing, and that format can be combined with both the "Sprint/Feature" (as it's a 2 race format on similar but different tracks) & "Admin's Choice" (in as much as I'd be the one picking the vehicle to run).

Carlos & I had a chat on PM last night and between us we've come up with the following:-

Carlos is enjoying creating the "Vs" events just now, finding cars to pair up against each other (I'm enjoying them as well, if I'm honest), so I'll carry on with single make series on the non-RDHGP alternating Thursdays.

I'll probably limit the number of events per series to a maximum of 4 evenings / 8 races, but I'll be working in the "Sprint Feature" format as well.

As has been pointed out by others, we're in the "slowest" cars in our current League, and we're just finishing a series in the Elites, so the next series will be something quick, the BMW 320 Gr5 mod made by Team 21 - the same people who brought us the NSU TT & the Opel Kadett C.

I've chosen this mod for a couple of reasons:-
  • Carlos had been trying it out as well, and had good things to say about it - confirming my impressions
  • It's a high quality mod, great models, interiors, sounds, skins etc
  • It's got loads of skins by default
  • It's really, really quick, but in a way that will keep it inclusive to all levels of driver ability. It's manageable in the way that, for example, the Porsche 935, simply isn't.
You can download the BMW 320 (E21) Gr5 mod here.

We can have a "Full Field Series" once the League Season has ended.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%