What are you listening to?

I have been diving deep into the rabbit hole of Roma and eastern European folk music. I have always been into this genre, but I have recently met someone from Romania who is also into this music. This has spurred my interest in it, and I've started digging down that rabbit hole.

Csokolom is one of my favorite bands, they're a Hungarian folk band who play tradition Roma, Hungarian, Romanian, and Transylvanian music. We're very fortunate to have awful good recordings of their music, as their discovery in America was a bit of chance. In Hungary, they were of note in the regional music scene. People knew them as a good folk band. This small repute allowed them to travel to America as part of an arts tour. They ended up in Nashville, at a music festival, playing at the dreadful time slot of 0100. At this point the crowds have waned, and they're playing to dozens of people. But musicians gonna music, so they put on a show. Among the crowd is a record producer, another member of the audience is an audio engineer with a studio. Both of them are entranced by what they see and hear on stage. After the show they go to talk to the band, and they're loose acquaintances. Before they greet the band they say hello and talk about the music they just heard. The record producer says he wants to do a record with them, the audio engineer with the studio says he wants to record them. They recorded the album within a week, and did it over two days.

Life is a matter of chance of circumstance, and through both of them meeting, we have been given this music. If you have Spotify look them up. They use western key and time signatures, and modality but the music clearly has middle eastern and Indian influences. It's palatable to western ears, but also unique.

I've always loved Phineas and Ferb, but now the creators of that show has come up with Milo Murphy's Law instead - and that show is truly fun. It also runs with lots of music, this is the one that has glued to my brain today:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%