Wet Races?

Chris Butcher

Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion
I was racing in a public server recently with the THR boys and we had good fun on a server running wet races. The driving was clean (it is possible) and it was great fun.

So how many of you here would like to see wet events?

I do not favor racing in the rain.
I raced motorcycles for 13 years, I never liked the rain.[make that a big, bold period!]
As I realised that it gave me no pleasure, I began to start a race when it was wet and pull into the pits after a few laps, sometimes even on after the first. Once I started doing that, I found that others had pulled off and were waiting, as I was, for a white flag[last lap] so we could go back out to "finish" the race.

I can't tell you how many championship points this won me during a season but I certainly won more than I lost as so many others dropped[fell] out. I never lost a championship because of it.

Unless you live someplace with radical weather, from what I've seen since participating in snd watching races over the past 42 years,
THERE ISN'T MUCH RACING THAT HAPPENS IN THE RAIN.

Get over it , drive on a dry track, with slicks, it's the way it was meant to be.

All this C#$& about half a track being wet or dry, weather changing during a race, all BS.

I raced motorcycles for 13 years, I never liked the rain.[make that a big, bold period!]
As I realised that it gave me no pleasure, I began to start a race when it was wet and pull into the pits after a few laps, sometimes even on after the first. Once I started doing that, I found that others had pulled off and were waiting, as I was, for a white flag[last lap] so we could go back out to "finish" the race.

I can't tell you how many championship points this won me during a season but I certainly won more than I lost as so many others dropped[fell] out. I never lost a championship because of it.

Unless you live someplace with radical weather, from what I've seen since participating in snd watching races over the past 42 years,

Get over it , drive on a dry track, with slicks, it's the way it was meant to be.

All this C#$& about half a track being wet or dry, weather changing during a race, all BS.

Wow, touched a nerve have we?

This is a game, not real life :D In the BTCC, quite a lot of racing happens in the rain actually.

Motorcycles in the rain, cars in the rain. Different beasts.

Agreed that there is less actual racing in the rain, but racing in the rain is also the most entertaining to watch :)

I only follow V8 Supercars nowadays, and they are always great fun in the rain. Last years finale, Hamilton a few months ago, Clipsal too, all brilliant races...

Anyway, it's kinda like racing on Nordschleife, most of the time it's just you against the track. But it's still fun, and different from what we usually race.

I'm all for rain :good:, and this thread made me consider using it in the next nKPro event too :thanks:

@Dennis.yes racing in the dry is great i much prefer it to the wet,but a few wet races thrown in the mix to keep everyone on their toes is welcome.
Changing weather conditions doesn't have to mean rain either..the ambient temperature can go up causing track temps ups as well...hope we don't forget that option.:umbrella::cool:

Here's some examples of custom generated weathers, as promised: http://cream.galleria.fi/Shares/LINKED/Autosim Weather Generator v1_0 by alexz_with_examples_by_CK.zip

Instructions and software are included.

How to use: copy one of the weather.txt files to your My Documents\SimBin\Race07\UseData\LOG folder. Overwrite if asked. For dedicated servers the folder is My Documents\SimBin\Race07\UseData\Log_Dedicated. For conditions select "Changeable" in game (or server). I used the Retro Sunday format (P1:90min,P2:20min, Q:10min, Race:2 x 25min). Everything works for longer sessions but the conditions on track stays the same after the time has expired.. (can time expire, isn't it a continuum..off-topic)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 287 13.5%