1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Wet Races?

Discussion in 'RACE 07 - Official WTCC Game' started by Chris Butcher, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher
    Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion

I was racing in a public server recently with the THR boys and we had good fun on a server running wet races. The driving was clean (it is possible) and it was great fun.

So how many of you here would like to see wet events?

2. Kevin Hopkins

Kevin Hopkins
    Premium Member

Voted yes,how about some Wet/Dry races like we had in the EU sunday morning events so pitstops strategies come in to play

3. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher

It's a possibility, but useless if people don't want to race in the wet ;)

4. Also the club needs cleaning up first, people need to look at them selves before we even dare to race in the wet, people are being disrespectful, bashing and cutting enough :).

5. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher

Working on that ;)

6. Pieter Theron

Pieter Theron
    Premium Member

I think wet races would be brilliant if incorporated into club events. In real life it rain so why not?

How does the rain/wet work in Race 07? Can you set it to dynamically change throughout a racing session like the quali at Silverstone today or is it just wet or just dry?

Working on that ;) = Brilliant!!!

7. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

If you are still having those sorts of issues in Race 07, it won't matter if the the races are wet or dry.
    Providing some variety of weather is a very good idea, and certainly more realistic.

8. :no:, not in Race - it´s too boring simulated. It´s much better in GTR 1-2 or Grand Prix 3-4, shame this games haven´t that interest here at RD as Race :frown:.

9. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher

What do you mean by that? Any rain in a game is going to be "simulated"

10. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini
    Premium Member

He meant that it's not simulated good enough for his taste.
    In my opinion it's not bad, I like it better in RACE then for example on GTR 2.

I voted for "Yes" btw

11. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher

Well the overwhelming majority of those that have voted seem to be in favour of it, so I'll experiment with some formats for my events :)

Votes are still welcome, so will leave the thread open so everyone can have their say :)

12. Absolutely YES. The wet conditions close the gap between the aliens and humans and make the field more competitive. It also serves to develop driving skills.

13. Definitely yes! One note though: use changeable weather! So out of nowhere rain comes, and it's possible that it will rain only at one half of the track! It did that on the test race of AF3kGPC, it was awesome!

14. I mean that the wet track looks everywhere the same, you can´t really see the amount of water on track. Without XD it´s not seeable which tyre you need. And normally there is a different between raceline and normal track. Maybe it´s different but you can´t see it.
    Next thing is that around the whole track you have the same wetness on track but if rain comes then this should be different around the track. But mor important is the drying track. It go dry everywhere the same. Normally first the race line should dry and slowly beside the raceline but this isn´t the case in Race.
    So cause i know how it can look and feel better in other simulations i find the rain in Race not good simulated, and the driving is not much different to dry conditions, only lesser grip and a bit spray, that´s all.

15. Never saw this, is this a new feature ?

16. Jimi Hughes

Jimi Hughes
    RDMCC S6 Champion

Another definate YES!!! Love wet races on RACE, probably the best Sim rain ive ever played, one of the few that actually reduce grip. If i were in charge i'd also make slicks compulsary ; )

17. ....

18. Pieter Theron

Pieter Theron
    Premium Member

Maybe we should start to call you Jenson Button then :ROFLMAO: :fwd: (only kidding)

19. Maybe we could create a few default weather.txt, ( controls the weather in "Changeable" conditions) from which to choose from. The autogenerated Weather.txt is so flawed that it cant be used; it stretches the events to unusable lengths, also the amount of randomness is way too small. I have tested this in the past and out of 12 sessions, i saw water in 2 of them and the amount of water didn't change at all... With Autosim Weather Generator you can make any weather for every minute of every session (actual game response is slower as it smooths spikes by nature).. Bad thing is that these weather programs need to be tested as the "sweet spot" of enough water and not too much is not that simple in every class.. Formula 1 cannot survive under heavy Rain but WTCC will cook the tires on F1 Intermediate conditions.

I've been meaning to study the weather system and custom weather generation, i could make a few custom weathers for 30 minute 2 race format. Oh, the custom weather needs to be made specifically for some base format as session lengths need to be somewhat correct. Also longer sessions decrease the resolution of the weather changes at least in Autosim WG. Tested weather.txt library doesn't sound that bad.. And someone with just enough knowledge of simple scripting and the use of a scheduler on server-end could make this at least semi-automatic feature to the future Wet races..

This brings us the option to race a classic from the past as weather conditions could be simulated using real world data.. Recent Canadian GP for example?

20. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher

Kennett, that sounds perfect :)

We normally run 25 minute races. I could have a look into the weather files and have a play, although I'm not too experienced when it comes to fiddling with RACE.