Wet Malaysian Qualification Round-Up

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
When Q3 got underway, the conditions were still wet, although the track was drying out. As usual one man had a plan - which worked out. The Triple World Champion Sebastian Vettel sat on pole position again this morning. It seemed nobody could touch his time, after a quick pit stop in Q3 to change to new Intermediate tyre's - which nobody else did. Worked out beautiful for Sebastian.

vetindia-552x367.jpg

Q1

When Qualifying got under way with Q1, nobody wanted to go to the track first, it was a case of 2-3 minutes passed before movement. With many reports saying that the track is 'rubbering in' (a term used to describe the rubber building up on the track, thus creating more grip) it was a case of seeing who goes out first. It was left to the rookies Max Chilton and Jules Bianchi, in the Marussia's who took to the track first. Many of the bigger teams choosing to watch Chilton and Bianchi's lap times. Chilton set the first time, with Bianchi instantly slashing .600 off his team mates time.

Williams followed suit, however on every camera angle that foucsed on the Williams, Sparks could be seen flying from the rear of the car. It was clear that Williams still hadn't found the much sought after pace they need. Hamilton was the first of the bigger teams to set a timed lap, which was instantly slashed by Rosberg. Meanwhile Vettel and Webber were sat in their car's in the Red Bull garage for 10 minutes, allowing the track to rubber in. When they finally took to the track all they could manage was a measly 15th (VET) and 9th(WEB). It emerged later, that the Red Bull's had been instructed to save their tyre's for tomorrow's race.

There was some controversy during Q1, Ex-Sauber driver Perez caused Sauber new boy, Hulkenburg to rant at the Sauber Race Engineer, as Perez had impaired Hulkenburgs laps by staying on the Racing Line. However, at the time of going to press - RD reports no penalties have been issued.

Image: Mercedes F1 Team

Q2
It was a completely different story in Q2, with Force India's charging straight out of the pits. Watching Q2, it seems Di Resta had way more control over his Force India than the returning Adrian Sutil, in Sector 2, Sutil was seen constantly fighting the car whereas Di Resta was gliding around the corners. Di Resta was infact on a timed lap when he decided to pit - The reason for his 15th grid place - Just before the rain arrived to shake up the session. Rosberg was proving his team role at Mercedes by keeping his new teammate Hamilton, behind him in the timing's. Then Hamilton was heard telling the team that it is raining heavily on the track with 8 minutes remaining of Q2. Di Resta followed out 2 minutes later, However it was the beginning of a nightmare for the Scot/Brit. When beating his PB in Sector 1, Di Resta arrived in S2, the next camera shot was Di Resta saving the car from the gravel. So he nursed the car around to do another lap, this time he was seen doing a 575 Degree spin when he previously saved his struggling Force India.

The rain got heavier, Alonso mastered his Ferrari around the Malaysian track. Bringing it home for P6, only to be knocked down to P7 by his teammate Felipe Massa. Di Resta wasn't the only one caught out by the rain, Lotus' Grosjean was expecting a fully dry Q2 so he didn't get out until 5 minutes remaining, which left his struggling around the track. Although he didn't spin like Di Resta, he couldn't make it through to Q3. To end Q2, nobody left the pits for the final 3 minutes as the rain was alot heavier.

Image: ChequredFlag.com

Q3
When Q3 arrived a wet Malaysian track awaiting the Formula stars. With a queue forming at the end of the pitlane while they all awaited the green light. There was: 1 x Force India, 2 x McLaren's, 1 x RedBull, 2 x Mercedes all awaiting to get out on track first. It was very close on the first stages of qualifying, After the first 8 minutes the top 5 looked like this: Vet, Ros, Alo, Ham, Per. However, with car's still doing laps, that soon changed to Vet, Web, Ros, Mas, Alo. Still there was no sign of Kimi Raikkonen's Lotus on the track, but the cameras eventually showed him in the Pit's with his tyre warmers on, Kimi was going for 1 Timed Lap only. The pressure for him was on! The Fin eventually exited the pits, the team reminding him "There is only one shot now Kimi" While this was happening - Vettel was the ONLY driver who pitted for fresh Intermediate tyre's. Everybody else carried on round for more timed laps.

Hamilton was struggling to hold off Rosberg, until after 2 timed laps, Hamilton took the provisional pole. Nobody could match his time - Bring on Sebastian Vettel, with brand new Intermediate tyre's on. Hamilton was on one final timed lap, when Vettel came around the final corner, and put in a tidy 1:51.699. Alonso came around and placed 2nd, then Massa came around and once again continued to show he is back in form, knocking Fernando Alonso from 2nd place. When Hamilton finally came around the final corner, it was not clear if he was going to pit and leave the lap, or carry on round. Sadly he carried on round and couldn't match his already set 4th place time.

Q3 ended with Webber on the radio to his team - "Unbelievable" The Aussie told the team.

In reference to Vettel's allowed tyre change and not his? It is not quite clear yet.

Top 10 qualifiers:
1. Sebastian Vettel (Ger), Red Bull - 1min 49.674secs
2. Felipe Massa (Bra), Ferrari - 1:50.587
3. Fernando Alonso (Spa), Ferrari - 1:50.727
4. Lewis Hamilton (GB), Mercedes - 1:51.699
5. Mark Webber (Aus), Red Bull - 1:52.244
6. Nico Rosberg (Ger), Mercedes - 1:52.519
7. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin), Lotus - 1:52.970
8. Jenson Button (GB), McLaren - 1:53.175
9. Adrian Sutil (Ger), Force India - 1:53.439
10. Sergio Perez (Mex), McLaren - 1:54.136

Don't forget to check out our F1 thread, dedicated to the Malaysian Grand Prix!
View the Post on the Blog

looks like red bull knew what they were doing and vettel was top at exactly the right moment. wonder what the anti-vettel guys will say this time: luck? preferential treatment? dark matter? since i'm not a particular f1 fan, i don't much care either way, but looking in from the outside, it seems as if he (vettel) knows what needs to be done and at what time.

yeah I agree RedBull knew what they were doing, but It favoured Vettel and not Webber which is why he was raging I guess.

The guys commentating did say something, but I missed it due to writing stuff down...
The mrs did ask why I had a notepad through the whole of qualifying - I wouldn't of remembered a quarter of what I put here if I didn't lol.

But yes, Red Bull did very well to get Vettel in and out and get pole. Or maybe it was Vettel... who knows

While this was happening - Vettel was the ONLY driver who pitted for fresh Intermediate tyre's. Everybody else carried on round for more timed laps.
This is wrong:
Vettel was quickest as the drivers completed their first runs, then made the call to take on a fresh set of intermediate tyres. Raikkonen, Sutil and the Ferraris did likewise – with mixed results.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/23/2013-malaysian-grand-prix-qualifying-report/

Raikkonen only did one run though?

Apologys if it is! I'll watch the qualifying again at 1pm and see.

Your right about the Ferrari's though

So ignore "Vettel was the ONLY driver"

Update to the results:

Kimi Raikkonen has been handed a grid penalty by the stewards. Which drops him down to 10th.

The grid now looks like this:
Top 10 qualifiers:
1. Sebastian Vettel (Ger), Red Bull – 1min 49.674secs
2. Felipe Massa (Bra), Ferrari – 1:50.587
3. Fernando Alonso (Spa), Ferrari – 1:50.727
4. Lewis Hamilton (GB), Mercedes – 1:51.699
5. Mark Webber (Aus), Red Bull – 1:52.244
6. Nico Rosberg (Ger), Mercedes – 1:52.519
7. Jenson Button (GB), McLaren – 1:53.175
8. Adrian Sutil (Ger), Force India – 1:53.439
9. Sergio Perez (Mex), McLaren – 1:54.136
10. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin), Lotus – 1:52.970 (3 PLACE GRID PENALTY)

Of course, leave it to me to make excuses for Hamilton, but if he hadn't had gear selection problems at the start of HIS last lap (remember, he had just set the then fastest time and was the last one of the fast runners on track), I think he might have claimed pole. The moron commentators (Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett) had the same video feed I watched of Hamilton fumbling to find the right gear(s), but apparently were too busy talking to take notice. Even losing all that time at the beginning of that last lap, he was still only 2 sec off Vettel's time. Then Hobbs suggested Hamilton made a "booboo"... What a lovable idiot. Almost as lovably clueless as one Murray Walker...

Could you expand on the gear selection problems a bit? We only saw the end of the lap (onboard)
Right after Hamilton set the then fastest time of 1:51.nnn, the video feed switched to a shot of Hamilton's cockpit. I was disappointed to hear that he had backed off. You could HEAR that the revs were dropping, and he wasn't even close yet to the braking area for Turn 1. My first thought was that he'd decided not to attempt another hot lap, but then I noticed he seemed to be flicking BOTH paddles, and that gave me the idea that maybe the car had jumped OUT of gear and he was trying to find the right one in a problematic gearbox. I jumped back to Brazil 2007, when the same sort of gear selection problem robbed him of the WDC.

Or was that cockpit shot right after Hamilton set the 1:51 of Rosberg instead, being balked by Kimi??? Maybe I was fooled by the similar yellow helmets.

Wish I hadn't already deleted Qualifying from my DVR, so I could take another look at that cockpit shot to see if it was of Lewis or of Nico! Anybody else able to check that? Right after Lewis posts the 1:51 that was the fastest at the time.

I remember seeing that, I'm sure it was Hamilton.
Nope, Just double checked the highlights video and it's on there, it's Rosberg at the end of the final straight before the final turn, getting space... Here's a pic with a name too - if it is the same one?

Pic1:
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/McLarenDan/rosberg2_zps7d5b70c7.png
Pic2:
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/McLarenDan/rosberg_zps34928251.png

Hamilton had literally just crossed the line and the camera cut to Rosberg - If this is the same one btw lol

Edit:
If I post the photos in here it messes the article page up so they are just links :)

Scot said that he started to lower the revs before turn 1, that pic of Rosberg was before the last corner. It was Hamilton who just finished his lap then slowed.
Yeah unfortunately the video cuts straight to Rosberg after he crosses the line - then as Rosberg slows and then goes again it cuts to The Lotus of Kimi Raikkonen - Sorry chaps wrong clip then I guess, my apologys :)

You're right, it WAS Nico (yellow gloves) slowing down near the end of the back straight (to give himself space for his last flyer?), NOT Lewis slowing before the end of the front straight. So I was wrong. Lewis' inters must just not have had enough grip left to take advantage of the drier conditions on his last lap.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 304 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 270 13.6%