Weird Overheating problem

Calum McLure

Did ye, aye?
Had this problem for a while now, every few minutes when I'm playing a game my CPU temp shoots up to 255°C, obviously not going this hot or it would melt my machine but it causes the 4 cores to be throttled to 1.4gHz and slows the game right down. It usually happens at 34°C, but I noticed while playing Bioshock Infinite it reached 39°C, it has never gotten that high before without going to 255°C.

I know the temperatures there seem a bit low, it used to hover around 30-40°C when idle and be around 60°C under load then shoot up at around 63°C, but ever since I flashed the BIOS the temps have been getting read lower.

It's been happening ever since I installed my new graphics card, a 7950, I had a 6450 which wouldn't let me play the kind of games I am now so I don't know if that would cause it as well.

I have 2 fans on the front and side of the case sucking air in, 2 on the back as exhausts and the CPU fan as well, I have also applied new thermal paste so I wouldn't have thought overheating would be a problem.

Any idea's what the problem could be. cheers in advance?

Specs are:
CPU = FX-4170 4.2gHz
GPU = Sapphire HD7950 3gb Vapor-x
Ram = 1 x 8gb 1333mhz
PSU = Corsair 650w TX
Mobo = MSI 760GM-P21

ostw5x.jpg

Sounds to me like there is an issue with the sensor on the motherboard not working correctly. This may have been brought on by flashing the BIOS, or it might have just shown more because of it.

I actually just ordered a new mobo yesterday so hopefully that will sort it.

I had the problem for a while before flashing the BIOS, that was a kind of last resort because I had ran out of idea's and couldn't find anything on the internet, even emailed AMD and MSI and they were not very helpful.

Fingers crossed this works as it's annoying as hell :(

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back