1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

WEC Le Mans Safety Car Thoughts

Discussion in 'Xbox One | World Endurance Challenge' started by AbeWoz, May 5, 2016.

1. AbeWoz

AbeWoz
    Premium Member

With the length of the race, and the track itself, and the issues encountered at the hock, I think this needs to be a serious discussion for the race on Wednesday.
    Obviously chatter needs to be kept to the care minimum during the race, so Michael can hear when cautions are called, and so the rest of us can hear Michael's instructions, etc. (He's the organizer so I think he should be the voice of the grid).

My thoughts for Le Mans. No wave arounds for lapped cars as the track is just way too long.

Run the 3 safety car zones like IRL.
    ^this all depends on how spread out the field is, but if a caution is called, the race leader will obviously be the main safety car.
    -The leader will call out what timing sector (1,2,3) he is about to enter if at the end of sector 2 for instance, and everyone in that sector will form on the leader.
    -Lets say Have is in S1 as the leader, and i;m in S2 (way behind the pack), and a caution emerges, everyone behind me and in front of the leader will form on me (assuming i'm the lead car in that sector).
    -When the situation clears, Michael calls green, and we go back to racing.

This may be difficult to judge who the lead car in each sector will be. But if once Michael confirms the caution, and everyone slows down to 70mph/112kph, we can determine who the other safety cars will be and form on them.

• Like Like x 2
  2. It sounds good in theory but I'm worried that when it comes to it this will be too complicated.
    Maybe if we had a practice caution with that system at some point before or after the quali session?

3. Michael Watts

Michael Watts
    XB1 Gamertag: michaei watts Premium Member

I like..
    -I agree no waive-arounds**, track is too big to allow someone around to catch back up.
    **(Unless Driver is in same sector as leader, And race will restart regardless of driver position)
    -There will be no more than 1 full lap of caution if needed.
    -Leader will slow to 100 KPH (62 mph) and allow field to catch up** Unless he is in Sector 3 and IS PITTING FOR TIRES in which he can maintain "Reduced Race Pace" to the pits. (**Advantage of being the Leader)
    -If the Leader is in Sector 1 or Sector 2, he must slow immediately after "Caution, Caution, Caution" is called by Organizer.
    -If a Caution is Called for Contact I will not last more than than 2 sectors from the point of initiation.
    Example: If Caution is called while Leader is in S1, He will slow immediately to (100 KPH)Then will Restart at Start/Finish Line regardless of position of Rest of the Field.
    Example: If Caution is Called while Leader is in S2, He will slow immediately to (100 KPH) Then will Restart at the beginning of Sector 1 Line as shown on map. regardless of position of Rest of the Field
    Example:
    If Caution is Called While Leader is in S3, He will slow immediately to (100KPH) **UNLESS HE IS PITTING** Then he will Restart at the Sector 2 restart as shown on map regardless of position of Rest of the Field
    Le_Mans_Circuit_de_la_Sarthe_track_map.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I like that a lot.

5. I'm not in the series and I still have a headache lol

Good luck guys really hope this works out for you all and look forward to some replays :thumbsup:

• Haha Haha x 1
  6. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

I adjusted the Waive Around's. But the way they will be implemented is if they are in the same sector of the Leader for Future races they will be able to go by on the Left and Try and catch-up to the field. The field will restart at the designated Restart point regardless of the position of the Waive Around Driver(s).
    So the opportunity to get your lap back is there, but the Waive-Around driver will NOT hold the field to another Caution lap.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AbeWoz

AbeWoz
    Premium Member

the only issue is the sectors in the game do not exactly match that of the real track. So restart locations are S/F, After first chicane, and after Arnage.

8. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

No I believe those in the map are pretty close. But yes the lines I put in Red represent where we should restart, so there isn't any confusion. Maybe would be a good idea to print out a copy and tape it close to your wheel like they do in Real Life. I will give the Leader the Ok to Restart at the next Available Restart Location. Again I'm hoping not see any cautions here, but I can imagine someone losing a wheel if they aren't careful.

9. AbeWoz

AbeWoz
    Premium Member

i'm game for a practice session sometime too to run thru the procedure as well.

• Agree Agree x 1