WEC: Kobayashi reunites with Toyota in test role

Kobayashi.png

Kamui Kobayashi has returned to his former team Toyota after being announced as the team's test and reserve driver for the 2015 WEC Season.

The Japanese driver, who last raced for Toyota after replacing Timo Glock for the final two races of the 2009 Formula One Season, replaces Mike Conway as the team's reserve driver following Conway's promotion to a full time driver earlier this year.

On his new role, Kobayashi said 'It's great to be back with Toyota, and I am grateful to the team for giving me this chance... I know many of the team members from my time with Toyota in Formula 1 so this feels like I am coming home.'

Kobayashi last raced in the WEC in 2013 as a factory Ferrari driver in the GTE Pro class, but is perhaps better known in the wider racing community for his F1 performances, with his most notable drive being his podium finish at the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix.

Nicolas Lapierre status meanwhile seems to be relatively unaffected by the news of Kobayashi's arrival, with Toyota confirming that he remains 'available for testing and development duties throughout the season'.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back