Webber Reprimanded After Alonso Lift

These kind of things shine a good light on motorsport,
Viewers don't usually get to see much of the 'human' side of drivers in F1.....Pre-race drivers are focused on the job and are not too camera friendly and afterwards they can be worse,, so this kind of sporting gesture is good for the sport and viewers enjoy seeing it.

But in saying all that i can totally understand the safety aspect of it.....Maybe some aerodynamic hand rails along the side pods and rear wing for passenger use in future ? :D

“I was doing my in-lap, came around the corner and Fernando was there, and I was really shocked,” said Hamilton.

I'm sorry are you a formula 1 race driver or is it your first time driving a car? Considering it was his in lap, he would have been going a lot slower than in the race, what would he do if a car had crashed on track their? Belt it straight into them? Typical Lewis Hamilton. He's turning into the Casey Stoner of F1...if he doesn't get his way he moans and moans.

“I was doing my in-lap, came around the corner and Fernando was there, and I was really shocked,” said Hamilton.

I'm sorry are you a formula 1 race driver or is it your first time driving a car? Considering it was his in lap, he would have been going a lot slower than in the race, what would he do if a car had crashed on track their? Belt it straight into them? Typical Lewis Hamilton. He's turning into the Casey Stoner of F1...if he doesn't get his way he moans and moans.

What are you on about?

In any form of motorsport - or day to day life, coming round a corner and seeing someone walking on the track/road is going to surprise ANYONE, especially when they shouldn't be there.
If a car had crashed, then I am certain the yellows would be out.
The penalty does appear harsh, but I do agree with it.

At a guess HAM would be going around 80 KPH, nearly 50 MPH which is slow enough for a F1 car....that could be fatal if he'd had hit Webber - don't you think?

And to top it off;

BU2WQCKCQAAguwn.jpg:large

As far as I know, the reprimand wasn't given for the Ferrari ride itself (cause that would've been Alonso's fault as well), but for parking the Red Bull in some unsafe spot (the drivers behind Webber had to dodge to avoid his car).
Webber's reprimand was for entering the track without permission, Alonso was reprimanded for stopping on the track (they had to avoid him, I believe Webber's car had been removed from the track by now).

I think they shouldn't receive a penalty for this, but I just saw the video and Alonso did stop in a dangerous position. But still I don't see a real harm in this.
Good thing grosjean wasn't around though ;)

After watching that video I think a reprimand for both drivers is fair, rather silly place to stop on track.
Sure give another driver a lift but stop and pick them up in a safe place.

Sure give another driver a lift but stop and pick them up in a safe place.
And definitely not on street circuits like this. Not only are they narrow and there's not much room to stop, but also they're more bumpy than others, which might result in the guy outside falling off.
Silverstone? Sure. Monaco or Singapore? Nope...

I too, thought it was harsh...until I saw the video.
Mark ran way too far out onto the track surface for the pickup.
Had Alonso simply collected him at the side of the track, I'd have the same opinion as most of you.
In the Senna/Mansell case, he was very close to the side of the track and simply 'hopped' on.
I can tell you this, drivers are still travelling quite fast and are a bit busy in the cockpit during that in-lap.
They're looking for rubber to pick up, talking to engineering, dialing settings back on the wheel, collecting various parameters about engine and gearbox condition etc... NOT looking for people on the track surface, so he could have easily been collected. That is the danger.

Last edited:

What are you on about?

In any form of motorsport - or day to day life, coming round a corner and seeing someone walking on the track/road is going to surprise ANYONE, especially when they shouldn't be there.
If a car had crashed, then I am certain the yellows would be out.
The penalty does appear harsh, but I do agree with it.

At a guess HAM would be going around 80 KPH, nearly 50 MPH which is slow enough for a F1 car....that could be fatal if he'd had hit Webber - don't you think?
A F1 car can stop in mere meters at 80 KPH. Hamilton wasn't talking about Webber being on the track, Webber was at the other side of the car to Hamilton. He was moaning about a car being stopped on track. The speed limit under yellow flags is much greater than 80KPH. A safety car speed limit is above 80 KPH so for Hamilton to overreact and act like he almost crashed is ridiculous and petty. As I said...he's a F1 driver. He has extremely quick reactions, a car that can stop extremely quickly.

Yeah Yeah alright, I suppose it was a bit dangerous.
Still, a hefty fine and a good hard kick up the rear diffuser to avoid the 3rd reprimand seems more fair for this bit of larrikin-ism.

A F1 car can stop in mere meters at 80 KPH. Hamilton wasn't talking about Webber being on the track, Webber was at the other side of the car to Hamilton. He was moaning about a car being stopped on track. The speed limit under yellow flags is much greater than 80KPH. A safety car speed limit is above 80 KPH so for Hamilton to overreact and act like he almost crashed is ridiculous and petty. As I said...he's a F1 driver. He has extremely quick reactions, a car that can stop extremely quickly.

Yes, stop after he hit someone.

Further to the above. Webber has just tweeted - he has full trust in top drivers at 280k, so he can trust them at 60/70k..... but accidents can and do happen. Gonna rumble on this.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back