Webber Reprimanded After Alonso Lift

Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Webber Reprimanded After Alonso Lift

Mark Webber has been handed a 10-place grid penalty at the Korean Grand Prix after thumbing a lift from Ferrari's Fernando Alonso in Singapore.

The Red Bull driver had engine troubles, and was forced to retire. TV footage showed the Australian sitting on Alonso's car, riding it back to the pits.

It later transpired that Webber had left the track, and rejoined to hitch a lift from the Spaniard. Alonso stopped his car, and Webber sat on the left-hand sidepod.

This is Webber's third...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a stupid, petty penalty.

Yes, I'm aware it's a 3rd reprimand that makes it a 10 place grid penalty, but this should not have been a reprimandable offence.

As Horner said - in this instane, talking to the drivers about it would have sufficed.

Good ****ing Lord!

Senna was given a ride by Mansell and he wasn't harmed or anything. Everyone was fine with that, then.

Now, stuff like this in F1 is reprehensible. There is no hope in the future of F1.

But, as I said, a reprimand is outrageous.

Can't believe it...what a joke. Sheesh! Just fine him a substantial amount, give it to charity and let the guy race where he qualifies.
For the next race at Korea, perhaps he should "call in sick" and get a dozen mates together, get on the drink and watch the race from the Grandstand. The FIA would be happy as it would add some atmosphere...

As far as I know, the reprimand wasn't given for the Ferrari ride itself (cause that would've been Alonso's fault as well), but for parking the Red Bull in some unsafe spot (the drivers behind Webber had to dodge to avoid his car).

Yet another example of the over-regulation that F1 has become...
It was once the frontier of cutting edge technology, but now the technology has been replaced by rules.

According to Hamilton, Webber was walking down the track to get into Alonso's car while the other cars were returning to garages. I think that deserves a reprimand indeed!
In older cases, the taxi always came to side to take the driver. Or there were not much cars around.

A video here shows how Alonso picked Webber. A bit dangerous, to be honest.

http://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/der-wahnsinn-von-singapur-im-video-id2450773.html

The problem with this is, the stewards can't give fines to individuals, only to the team. So the smallest penalty they can give to a driver is a reprimand (this was a change so the drivers wouldn't get fined for speeding in the pitlane I think). So unless they completely overlooked this, they had to give a reprimand.

I actually thought Alonso should get the reprimand, as he was the one stopping in the middle of the driving line directly after a blind corner.

Although Webber probably doesn't give a damn at the moment to be honest.

from hamiltons on board, he was doing 80 round the corner, same speed as in the pit lane. and has a car that can stop on a tack.

if there was any danger would webber/alonso of done what they did.

imo its a joke decision and if it doesnt get reverse, I wouldnt be suprised webber wont be in f1 next year :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 222 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%