Webber: I'm Considering My Future

Silverstone 2011:

Webber's statement to the Team-order...:

"I am not fine with it, no," he said. "If Fernando (Alonso) retires on the last lap, we are fighting for the win.
"Of course I ignored the team because I wanted to try and get a place. Seb was doing his best, I was doing my best. I wasn't going to crash with anyone.
"I try to do my best with the amount of one way conversation I was having - I was trying to do my best to pass the guy in front."
1.) Vettel didn't blame Webber for this in public
2.) Webber fought against Vettel in Brazil 2012.
Webber accepted the team decision this time, because he had an advance and not for the teams advance...
With Brazil and silverstone in mind. I think Vettel and Webber never could trust each other. Vettel was fighting for the championchip and Webber batteled him...

Could you trust such a teammate?

Mark needs to move to a team where the big bosses respect him and his abilities, regardless whether or not this is a team in which he can win races. If not, he needs to get out of the sport now and try his hand at something else.

RBR/Horner does not punish Vettel simply because they know they support the right horse. Webber is not winner type, good driver nonetheless, while Vettel is almost perfect type of driver, fast, relaxed and self centered enough.

Maybe it's just time for Webber to move to V8's, which is great series too. Or endurance races. I know I won't miss him. Tho I have no doubt he's a nice guy in real life so nothing personal against him.

It's pretty obvious now that the level of trust within the RBR Team will be dicey, at best, for the rest of the season. That clearly will apply to Vettel and Webber, but I suspect it will also be unreliable between the drivers and Team management, now that one driver has ignored team orders.

I see two alternatives:

1. Webber has to play the No.2 driver role, accept the usual preferences to Vettel (as per previous seasons) and be there in case anything unfortunate happens to Vettel.
2. RBR just lets the two drivers race independently and hard against each other, and hope that they still keep it as clean as possible if any battling happens during a race. No team orders.
I wonder if RBR are brave enough to adopt the second option? It might just inspire better results for both drivers, but could also open the door for the other Teams if they get it wrong.

Option 2 would make for a much more interesting series for the viewers. ;)

Guys, if we ignore that the participants in this discussion are Webber and Vettel, would you also state these arguments?

Really, a 10 place grid penalty for ignoring a team order? Do you want to see sport or politics. If you thing like that, you are in no way interested in sport and in the general intention of sport!
i agree its what steve said its racing. and that what it was racing. yeah vettel did wrong but in the mind of a racer not teammate he went for a win.

The hard truth is that Webber never accepted the nr2 spot in RB,and was looking for a good excuse to throw his toys out...let him leave,and put another young driver in so that the champ can have a run for his money...;)

Had Webber won he'd have won 4/5ths of a race, but not a full one. That is pretty hollow in my view.
You don't seem to get the point, that it wasn't Webbers decision to save tires and turn down the engine. It was the teams decision. One driver obeyed, one didn't.
It's not like Webber could not driver at 100% or did not want to.

Surely if the team is playing the points game then Vettel will need them more? Or are we saying that Webber is their man for the championship this year?
It's way to early to say Webber is their man, but it is also way too early to rule him out.
17 races left and no one knows what will happen.
To all those that think Vettel did the right thing and screw team orders - the problem is Mark Webber was obeying the instruction and had his car dialled down and wasn't prepared to defend his position until Vettel did what he did. If Webber had known in advance that was how it goes then I'm sure he would have put up more of a fight. Vettel unfortunately is a liar. The racing these days is a team sport.

im no vettel fan
but i think what he did was the sensible thing to do
actually his team should have taken responsebility and call a 12

at the end of the day Vettel has chances to win the championship
and might need those points ,seeing how close things where last year
Webber wont have championship chances,,but can only win a few races
so the Team is to blame for letting Vettel do the dirty work for them ,but the most wise thing to do for winning the 2013 titel

To all those that think Vettel did the right thing and screw team orders - the problem is Mark Webber was obeying the instruction and had his car dialled down and wasn't prepared to defend his position until Vettel did what he did. If Webber had known in advance that was how it goes then I'm sure he would have put up more of a fight. Vettel unfortunately is a liar. The racing these days is a team sport.

Do the laptimes support Webber's lower performance? It seems both Webber and Vettel did their fastest lap (lap 45) soon after the last pitstop, and the difference is only 0.24s. Vettel did the overtaking during the next lap. It does not seem like Webber was suffering from a seriously handicapped performance.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/24/2013-malaysian-grand-prix-lap-times-fastest-laps/

I understand your thoughts BaldApe, but they had rules in the team and only one driver obeyed them. If they had both been told to race then fair enough. As for the times, it doesn't matter, the cars were told to remain in those positions by the team that runs the cars. It's a rule. We all turn up to work on time because its a rule, we all obey the road rules or we suffer the consequences. We have rules for a reason and that team had rules for that reason, how many times has Massa and Barrichello been told to hold back, they all did but this little bloke has no integrity although he does admit he was wrong. One day this year he may need Webber to run shot gun for him or help him....

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 427 39.6%