We Check Out the Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Fanatec DD Wheel 1.JPG

At the 2017 Sim Racing Expo today I had the chance to check out the new Fanatec Direct Drive wheel... here are my first impressions.

Now before going any further I need to give out some caveats. My time with the wheel was limited and used with the so far unreleased Project CARS 2 software. I had over three and a half laps at Spa in PCARS 2, under race conditions at night. Not an ideal scenario to give a serious and informed opinion, but enough to at least give me an idea of what we can expect to find come release day.

Using the Porsche rim from the Fanatec ClubSport range, the wheel felt like a marked step up from my personal ClubSport V2 I use regularly at home. The initial weight of the wheel on first turn into a corner carried more force, as did the step up in resistance once additional forces were applied to the car under heavy cornering.

The build quality was the usual Fanatec standard, well put together, stylish in finish and I must say a rather neat and "cool" solution in comparison to some of the other Direct Drive products available in the marketplace today.

Having spoken with Endor CEO Thomas Jackermeier at length about the new range (interview video to follow later), he confirmed the Podium series of wheels will be compatible with earlier ClubSport rims as well as receiving a brand new range of rims, pedals and accessories further down the line. Additional confirmation was given that two different DD units will be produced, both containing the same housing but with different torque strengths.

No release date has been confirmed as yet, however early development units are under testing as we speak.

RaceDepartment have requested and have been approved for a long term test unit, of which we will put through its paces once it arrives and give you a full and detailed review in the coming months.

Fanatec DD Wheel 2.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 3.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 6.JPG

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more news and insight from the Sim Racing Expo over the next few days and follow us on social media at on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Fanatec DD Wheel 5.JPG
Fanatec DD Wheel 4.JPG

Looking forward to the Fanatec Direct Drive range of products? Can the company challenge the established DD manufacturers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I am happy that there are more DD wheels coming to the market so eventually the prices will be affordable like below the grand mark I could just about manage that :thumbsup:
You can already get DD OSW kits built and pre loaded with the software and firmware for under 1k, total price from sim-pli.city is £899, total price from sim racing bay including shipping and tax is £975 to the UK, at todays conversion rate, they are only over a grand if you go for the 30nm version instead of 20NM, or for a silent power supply and HC version of IONI which is pointless for 20NM. The only thing you need to add, assuming you already have pedals is a wheel which you can do for under £50, and a button plate with paddles if you need one for £99 to £300 depending on the option you pic, i got a nice one from simracerevo for £130 with 8 buttons 2 nobs, 2 switches and some nice looking paddles, but the same applies to fanatec, you still need a few hundred for one of their wheels, or 300 for their hub. They are also pretty much plug and play and come with everything installed except MMOS which takes a minute to install. Settings are online for various games. Theres really no need to buy fanatec unless you already own some of their wheels which may make it cheaper depending on what their price will be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can already get DD OSW kits built and pre loaded with the software and firmware for under 1k, total price from sim-pli.city is £899, total price from sim racing bay including shipping and tax is £975 to the UK, at todays conversion rate, they are only over a grand if you go for the 30nm version instead of 20NM, or for a silent power supply and HC version of IONI which is pointless for 20NM. The only thing you need to add, assuming you already have pedals is a wheel which you can do for under £50, and a button plate with paddles if you need one for £99 to £300 depending on the option you pic, i got a nice one from simracerevo for £130 with 8 buttons 2 nobs, 2 switches and some nice looking paddles, but the same applies to fanatec, you still need a few hundred for one of their wheels, or 300 for their hub. They are also pretty much plug and play and come with everything installed except MMOS which takes a minute to install. Settings are online for various games. Theres really no need to buy fanatec unless you already own some of their wheels which may make it cheaper depending on what their price will be.

That's just it, to be competitive is it really going to be much cheaper than that? At £700 or Thereabouts it'll be tempting, but I don't like being restricted to Fanatec rims...

Upvote 0
It would be great at around 700 GBP I agree. But I think Fanatec are somewhat agressive with their margins.
A good example that they have good margin is the price reduction from the Fanatec V2 to V2.5...and still be able to make a profit. In my opinion they did so because at the price the V2 has placed before it was starting to be in a very akward position, with OSW Kits for only like 100-200€ more.

Upvote 0
That's just it, to be competitive is it really going to be much cheaper than that? At £700 or Thereabouts it'll be tempting, but I don't like being restricted to Fanatec rims...

Has this been confirmed that it is restricted only to their own rims?
Or do you mean, Momo etc rims would require the Xbox wheel adapter to be used?

Surely people may want to buy or use "other professional options" with USB cord and these would be possible to use?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Has this been confirmed that it is restricted only to their own rims?
Or do you mean, Momo etc rims would require the Xbox wheel adapter to be used?

Surely people may want to buy or use "other professional options" with USB cord and these would be possible to use?

With the way Fanatec rims are, if it supports all existing rims, it will have to be restricted to using heir quick release hub / with pass-through connection - so if you want an after market rim, just like now, you would need to get the xbox universal adapter, then attach your own rim to it.

Upvote 0
In theory, yes - one could adapt any wheel using various QR / mounting solutions with corded button-boxes, wireless solutions, etc. although, Fanatec surely would frown on that where any warranty issues are concerned - especially being that they have an established line of wheels / eco-system in place.

Something I saw in one of the expo interviews was that Fanatec are developing software to directly read the game telemetry in order to produce the FFB, something that has been unique to SimXperience's wheel to this point.

The value of such a feature depends on the types of racing titles one plays but, from my experience with DD-wheels, it can be quite useful and even mean the difference between having superb FFB or no FFB at all with titles that don't translate physics to FFB effectively. Titles such as iRacing / rF2 / AC / AMS may not benefit significantly from the feature because the game FFB is very good already but, games such as Dirt Rally / Dirt4 / WRC-series / SLRE / Pcars and more, can have much improved FFB using the alternate algorithm's provided the game outputs the proper telemetry and has reasonably good physics.

Another attractive aspect is the integrated wireless support. I'm quite curious how that's managed based on the limited info / reference we have so far but, if it's what I think it is, it could be quite brilliant.

By their nature, DD-systems offer excellent durability, far above that of normal mainstream steering systems so when considering the overall cost, one should also consider long-term cumulative cost of lesser hardware as well as other factors IMO.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's really comparable, you need a separate htpc for them to work, more cables for any wheel buttons and/or display, for a slip ring quick release it adds to the cost and if you want a nice cable free front where you just plug the wheel in like Fanatec (and original Accuforce) that is actually pretty difficult to do.

Looking at that wheel button box you recommend it's not even comparable to a fanatec wheel (is it 3D printed?), personally I'd take a Thrustmaster Alcantara over that and enough people agree for there to be dedicated fanatec DD wheel converters. The wheel rims are one of the best things about Fanatec IMO and for me personally the less wires the better.

I'm hoping I can plug the Fanatec handbrake into this new base like the CSL-E so that I only have 1 USB cable to my PC. I can certainly understand why people go for the more open source diy route but a lot of us don't want that, we just want something quick/easy and ready to go with built-in support from game developers, less wires, only one software package needed and that's why things like the Accuforce have done so well by making it easier. There is also the added benefit of full customer support and all of these things for me personally are worth the additional cost if there is to be some.

Upvote 0
Anyway... back on topic:

I think to compare apples with apples, Simxperiences 'Your Way' base is probably more similar to Fanatec V2.5 base in terms of what you get straight out of the box.

But you make a valid point RaceNut: It probably gives a decent indication of where the pricing of Fanatecs new base might sit - somewhere between their $500 V2.5 and Simxperiences $900 base.

My guess will be around $800 USD for just the base alone.

But if you are unfortunate enough to live in Australia (like me) then you get shafted with their jacked up prices and that will probably be closer to $1400 AUD.

It's pretty disgusting that it's been cheaper for me to import Fanatec stuff from the US paying with the shitty Aussie dollar (ie. ~$0.80) and pay high shipping rates and import duties and yet still be better off financially than buying it from the local website..!!

That all said, I'm still running the V1 CSW base so will probably pony up at some stage - I only need one kidney right. :)
Excellent point about the overall cost based on region; it should be a consideration when buying such hardware and that's another benefit to having more choices.

Regarding the Fanatec CSW-v2 / v2.5 vs the AccuForce base kit; you have a point in terms of the hardware vs cost but, not in terms of the system's overall performance benefits because the AccuForce is far more capable and durable than the CSW line. Whether or not those things are worthy of the added expense is a personal matter but, they are not at all on equal ground from a FFB-range & dynamics perspective.

I get that it's hard for people to understand the many benefits of Direct-drive wheels if they haven't used one because I started out as most people do, with very modest FFB steering systems. Simply put, using a DD-wheel has increased my satisfaction derived from sim-racing x100 over my old Logitech / CSW-v1 and if I had to go back, I'd rather find a new hobby altogether. They are worth every penny to me but, as always - YMMV. :)

Upvote 0
With the way Fanatec rims are, if it supports all existing rims, it will have to be restricted to using heir quick release hub / with pass-through connection - so if you want an after market rim, just like now, you would need to get the xbox universal adapter, then attach your own rim to it.
It uses a new quick release system that is backwards compatible, from what I understand rather than the usual wire running through the drive shaft they now have a completely wireless system for that connection.

My guess would be something like wireless HDMI on a higher frequency range which needs direct line of sight (fine for this application) and won't get interference from your usual home wireless networks. Transmitter and receiver at either end of the shaft instead of a wire allowing unlimited spinning of the wheel and same connection pins as current wheels giving full functionality.

Upvote 0
It uses a new quick release system that is backwards compatible, from what I understand rather than the usual wire running through the drive shaft they now have a completely wireless system for that connection.

My guess would be something like wireless HDMI on a higher frequency range which needs direct line of sight (fine for this application) and won't get interference from your usual home wireless networks. Transmitter and receiver at either end of the shaft instead of a wire allowing unlimited spinning of the wheel and same connection pins as current wheels giving full functionality.

Remember they used to have the USB wireless key for the Porsche Turbo S wheel.
Something like this, or improved is what I would expect to see. It really doesn't have to be much different to console controller technology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it's really comparable, you need a separate htpc for them to work, more cables for any wheel buttons and/or display, for a slip ring quick release it adds to the cost and if you want a nice cable free front where you just plug the wheel in like Fanatec (and original Accuforce) that is actually pretty difficult to do.

Looking at that wheel button box you recommend it's not even comparable to a fanatec wheel (is it 3D printed?), personally I'd take a Thrustmaster Alcantara over that and enough people agree for there to be dedicated fanatec DD wheel converters. The wheel rims are one of the best things about Fanatec IMO and for me personally the less wires the better.

I'm hoping I can plug the Fanatec handbrake into this new base like the CSL-E so that I only have 1 USB cable to my PC. I can certainly understand why people go for the more open source diy route but a lot of us don't want that, we just want something quick/easy and ready to go with built-in support from game developers, less wires, only one software package needed and that's why things like the Accuforce have done so well by making it easier. There is also the added benefit of full customer support and all of these things for me personally are worth the additional cost if there is to be some.

Fanatec is good at making things easy for the user, convenient and attractive with broad game and platform support. There's something to be said for having a slick cohesive package that offers users multiple options and a path of progression in which to upgrade / expand. A bit of the downside though, is that we also have to accept a certain amount of proprietary design in terms of how other controllers are linked to the system (not just USB / universal).

There are always Pros / Cons to each approach but, I'm glad to see more people having the option to get more enjoyment out of their Sim-racing. I don't want people to feel mislead though, don't buy direct-drive to lower lap-times - although, it can somewhat; they certainly won't turn average racers into aliens. :confused::D

What they can do is increase enjoyment of Sim-racing, offer greatly improved long-term durability, provide greater consistency of race performance through refined FFB detail / speed / force levels and much better immersion overall.

As just one example, for anyone that finds the car-handling in AC / rF2 / iRacing to be like driving on ice; increased torque levels of DD-wheels alone can solve that perception. No, it's no the same as with the mainstream steering systems because the overall dynamics of the FFB are very different with a widely expanded range of effects with which to judge what the virtual tires are doing.

When set up properly, FFB can be very subtle, precise and very powerful all at the same time. It doesn't make sense coming from common hardware and at first, it can be a bit overwhelming to new-comers but, it doesn't take long for it to become a revelation and a game changer - at least, that sums up my experience. It also depends on what aspects of FFB are valuable to the player so not 100% of people are going to agree.

Upvote 0
Why would you be restricted to Fanatec rims? Even my Accuforce has a setting where I can disable it from looking for a stock (rim/ button box), then its just a matter of wiring them direct with a coiled USB cable like every OSW setup I have ever seen does. Just need to use Fanatec back connector if you have other Fanatec rims to use, and they should not be hard to come by.

Upvote 0
Something like this, or improved is what I would expect to see. It really doesn't have to be much different to console controller technology.
I run a wireless Bluetooth wheel made by SimFai that uses the Sim labs Blue Marlin board on my Accuforce, works great so no reason a company the size of Fanatec could not do the same. They use a rechargeable battery to run, but I'm pretty sure Fanatec could wire these up direct. The main problem guys had was the slip rings on the Accuforce could not handle the amp draw needed to run displays, LCD touch screens and SLI type displays even. The bluetooth could work great if applied properly. I for one had great results with my Fanatec products and am anxious to see what they release. Hell I converted a Formula Carbon wheel to use on my current setup because I always felt their ergonomics were nearly perfect, just added magnetic shifters to get a crisper shift, and Leo Bodner makes a plug in board now. My point being their wheels are pretty strong, I suspect the connector might be more prone to breakage than the wheels themselves. But I agree there is no reason this could not be done.

Upvote 0

Wonder where the power for the wheel rim will come from if it is wireless. I'd rather think they made a slip ring for it

Upvote 0

I got the impression they weren't talking about connection to the PC, just the internal connection to the wheel hub. Wireless wheels don't really make sense when they need a wire for power regardless, I'll have another listen.

Wonder where the power for the wheel rim will come from if it is wireless. I'd rather think they made a slip ring for it
Hmm that is a very good point, though wireless power is a thing.

Edit: Ok just watched the simracing girl interview and it's definitely what I originally thought (6mins in for reference). Thomas talks about how they don't use a slip ring because it's expensive or unreliable and use a wireless system to get power and data to the wheel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The button box is just the cheap option, it's not fully 3d printed just the outer edge may be, its hard plastic just like fanatecs covered in carbon vinyl and pretty much the same in regards to the build quality of the plastic backed rims fanatec sell, fanatec use a pplastic box and cheapo buttons, not super cheap like thrustmaster do, but still very cheap to buy. So no idea were you are coming from there, plastic is plastic and the buttons are comparable quality on both.

You can buy ones that are better obviously for the same price as their universal hub if you wanted, infact you could spend £700 on a button plate alone if you really wanted too. My point is Fanatec rims are a lot more expensive than doing it youself, even their new p1 rim is 170 euros and fanatec already stated that if you try to use one of their budget rims the DD will sense it is connected and lower the torque. They are going to bring out a new range of rims though so they might have something cheaper and strong, who knows.

As for compatabilty out of the box that already exists with osw, every major sim supports it and it's only getting better. Codemasters don't but there are ways round that. As for less wires, fanatec do have a very distinct advantage with that, they still require the same as a htpc as you say, it's just built in to the box with the motor with the psu likley outside the box on the floor like their current rims have (power brick). so for the tidy option, they win :) Although the size of the controller boxes that come with the osw are tiny, smaller than a shoe box mostly so you don't see it anyway, you can put it hidden out of the way, only downside is the huge industrial cables...if you meant the old type were they used actual pc cases, that is an option but nowadays you also have tiny custom built boxes or the simucube acrylic case both of which are tiny.

As for customer support, osw has 1-2 years warranty depending were you buy, and all of the parts are incredibly easy to replace yourself once warranty is up with phone support etc from the guys that build them. Fanatec will require you sending it back to them and paying not only for their custom parts but also the shipping and repairs once warranty is up, meaning it could cost you a lot more if it breaks, it's DD though, so should last many years regardless so i wouldn't worry about that.

Regarding price, i would say £900 absolute minimum for the fanatec lowest torque option, likley more, because it's fanatec who need to charge more for DD to make their belt drives look attractive still, since they stated the price of existing products won't be changing, and their csw is over 500 euros alone for just a base. Charge just 200 more and they can't sell the csw as it won't be worth it, people will just save for the DD, of course i'm only guessing but i would say 900 absolute minimum sounds about right. Just my thoughts.

Oh and as for the quick release, your talking £20 for one that will last years and is used on real cars so that's no extra cost, or one designed for OSW that is still under 50 and aint gonna break, you can pay a lot more for a bulky one that has sparco printed on it if you really like, but it isn't needed. High quality aluminim is high quality iluminum at the end of the day, you don't need a super expensive quick release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why would you be restricted to Fanatec rims? Even my Accuforce has a setting where I can disable it from looking for a stock (rim/ button box), then its just a matter of wiring them direct with a coiled USB cable like every OSW setup I have ever seen does. Just need to use Fanatec back connector if you have other Fanatec rims to use, and they should not be hard to come by.
You will be restriced because thats the way fanatec have always been, they build elctronic parts in the their rims, and the base unit will not work at all unless it detects a fanatec rim or hub is plugged in, they do this to stop people using 3rd party rims without using their hub at least, they will most certainly be locking people in to their rims in my opinion. Plus they also stated that if the DD base detects one of their budget rims is plugged in it will lower the torque, so i can't see them just selling a base and allowing any rim without their hub when thats's not been the case ever.

Upvote 0
The button box is just the cheap option, it's not fully 3d printed just the outer edge may be, its hard plastic just like fanatecs covered in carbon vinyl and pretty much the same in regards to the build quality of the plastic backed rims fanatec sell, fanatec use a pplastic box and cheapo buttons, not super cheap like thrustmaster do, but still very cheap to buy. So no idea were you are coming from there, plastic is plastic and the buttons are comparable quality on both.

You can buy ones that are better obviously for the same price as their universal hub if you wanted, infact you could spend £700 on a button plate alone if you really wanted too. My point is Fanatec rims are a lot more expensive than doing it youself, even their new p1 rim is 170 euros and fanatec already stated that if you try to use one of their budget rims the DD will sense it is connected and lower the torque. They are going to bring out a new range of rims though so they might have something cheaper and strong, who knows.

As for compatabilty out of the box that already exists with osw, every major sim supports it and it's only getting better. Codemasters don't but there are ways round that. As for less wires, fanatec do have a very distinct advantage with that, they still require the same as a htpc as you say, it's just built in to the box with the motor with the psu likley outside the box on the floor like their current rims have (power brick). so for the tidy option, they win :) Although the size of the controller boxes that come with the osw are tiny, smaller than a shoe box so you don't see it anyway, you can put it hidden out of the way, only downside is the huge industrial cables...

As for customer support, osw has 2 years warranty and all of the parts are incredibly easy to replace yourself once warranty is up with phone support etc from the guys that build them. Fanatec will require you sending it back to them and paying not only for their custom parts but also the shipping and repairs once warranty is up, meaning it could cost you a lot more if it breaks, it's DD though, so should last many years regardless so i wouldn't worry about that.

Regarding price, i would say £900 absolute minimum for the fanatec lowest torque option, likley more, because it's fanatec who need to charge more for DD to make their belt drives attractive since they stated the price of existing products won't be changing, and their csw is over 500 euros alone for just a base. Charge just 200 more and they can't sell the csw as it won't be worth it, people will just save for the DD, of course i'm guessing but i would say 900 absolute minimum sounds about right. Just my thoughts.
Yeh £900 is my betting for the base model, I would think they would want people to save up extra to get the DD over the V2.5 as the markup is probably the same and therefore more profit but even if it were only €250 more a lot of people wouldn't pay the extra just like lots of people won't go higher than Logitech wheels even though a better Thrustmaster set isn't significantly more. It's just perspective, I'm less bothered by price differences so paying £200 more for something isn't an issue but paying £200 for something not very good relative to what's available I consider a waste of £200 but I have been too far the other direction to learn there are diminishing returns!

Better than the P1 rim sure but the Porsche rim and F1 rim are great, the latter not being too expensive at €230. The XB1 Universal I have is great too but definitely inflated cost for XB1 compatibility which I don't even need, I'd be tempted to swap it for the Porsche rim I think. Anyway when spending that kind of money like I said from my perspective spending £1000 on a DD wheel and using a cheap wheel makes no sense which is why I didn't even think you were comparing it to the plastic Fanatec rims.

P.S. Didn't mean to mark your post as angry I'm on my phone and it decided to select that even though I changed it!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing