We Check Out the Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Fanatec DD Wheel 1.JPG

At the 2017 Sim Racing Expo today I had the chance to check out the new Fanatec Direct Drive wheel... here are my first impressions.

Now before going any further I need to give out some caveats. My time with the wheel was limited and used with the so far unreleased Project CARS 2 software. I had over three and a half laps at Spa in PCARS 2, under race conditions at night. Not an ideal scenario to give a serious and informed opinion, but enough to at least give me an idea of what we can expect to find come release day.

Using the Porsche rim from the Fanatec ClubSport range, the wheel felt like a marked step up from my personal ClubSport V2 I use regularly at home. The initial weight of the wheel on first turn into a corner carried more force, as did the step up in resistance once additional forces were applied to the car under heavy cornering.

The build quality was the usual Fanatec standard, well put together, stylish in finish and I must say a rather neat and "cool" solution in comparison to some of the other Direct Drive products available in the marketplace today.

Having spoken with Endor CEO Thomas Jackermeier at length about the new range (interview video to follow later), he confirmed the Podium series of wheels will be compatible with earlier ClubSport rims as well as receiving a brand new range of rims, pedals and accessories further down the line. Additional confirmation was given that two different DD units will be produced, both containing the same housing but with different torque strengths.

No release date has been confirmed as yet, however early development units are under testing as we speak.

RaceDepartment have requested and have been approved for a long term test unit, of which we will put through its paces once it arrives and give you a full and detailed review in the coming months.

Fanatec DD Wheel 2.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 3.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 6.JPG

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more news and insight from the Sim Racing Expo over the next few days and follow us on social media at on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Fanatec DD Wheel 5.JPG
Fanatec DD Wheel 4.JPG

Looking forward to the Fanatec Direct Drive range of products? Can the company challenge the established DD manufacturers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Good to see this at last and have people get even a limited test with it.
Also nice to see Thomas still being that, not too serious but joking and fun guy.

And...... no longer looking like Nick Nolte from Down & Out in Beverly Hills.;)

Factors for me to see an interest in this are:
  • Support for current and future Fanatec wheel rims
  • No stupid looking 1980s telephone cord
  • Console support included
  • Fanatec's own unique tuning menu via wheel rims
  • Plug and play with support from major sim publishers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know which one is sadder, grown adult men with a lot of disposable income who are proud to be able to afford expensive toys to play console ports or iRacing, or their inability to differentiate between jealousy and envy.

Upvote 0
I don't know which one is sadder, grown adult men with a lot of disposable income who are proud to be able to afford expensive toys to play console ports or iRacing, or their inability to differentiate between jealousy and envy.
I feel sorry for you..

On another note.. I can't wait to buy this DD wheel to compare to my other 2 DD wheels which I bought with my disposable income.. They look so good I am so proud.. Can't wait to play iRacing with it too!

Upvote 0
Anyway... back on topic:

Based on what Fanatec has stated in the past, they want their DD1 to match up well with the AccuForce system and the entry level AccuForce V2 base (DIY) can be purchased for $704usd currently.
I think to compare apples with apples, Simxperiences 'Your Way' base is probably more similar to Fanatec V2.5 base in terms of what you get straight out of the box.

But you make a valid point RaceNut: It probably gives a decent indication of where the pricing of Fanatecs new base might sit - somewhere between their $500 V2.5 and Simxperiences $900 base.

My guess will be around $800 USD for just the base alone.

But if you are unfortunate enough to live in Australia (like me) then you get shafted with their jacked up prices and that will probably be closer to $1400 AUD.

It's pretty disgusting that it's been cheaper for me to import Fanatec stuff from the US paying with the shitty Aussie dollar (ie. ~$0.80) and pay high shipping rates and import duties and yet still be better off financially than buying it from the local website..!!

That all said, I'm still running the V1 CSW base so will probably pony up at some stage - I only need one kidney right. :)

Upvote 0
I find it sadder that someone can type something completely off topic just to insult fellow racedepartment members.
So how about we keep it nicely on topic.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I feel sorry for you..

On another note.. I can't wait to buy this DD wheel to compare to my other 2 DD wheels which I bought with my disposable income.. They look so good I am so proud.. Can't wait to play iRacing with it too!
"Let me ask my wife if it's ok that I spend thousands of dollars on toys instead of putting money aside for our children. I'll let her buy herself some nice shoes to compensate."

:roflmao:

Upvote 0
"Let me ask my wife if it's ok that I spend thousands of dollars on toys instead of putting money aside for our children. I'll let her buy herself some nice shoes to compensate."

At least the kids will know how to drive :p so - 1k € here in Germany for driving school lessons :)
And a bit on the topic: who wants to tell me that my rattling, loud, gear clocking G27 with it's big fat deadzone in every game would be enough... No!
A t300: I can live with this as "enough" but not with the logitech... I want a better wheel so bad :roflmao:

Upvote 0

Like I said I feel sorry for you.. you have to ask your wife!! Hahaha! :roflmao:

Anyway... I reckon i'm into the tens of thousands by now!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the OSW (Open Sim Wheel) mutated to a GSW (GraniteDevices Sim Wheel) where they charge you 350€ for a mainboard. Over is the dream of a cheaply made diy dd wheel. But there are other projects ongoing in xsimulator forums, which have a lot of potential. So I will skip either of those overpriced dd wheels...

Upvote 0
At least the kids will know how to drive :p so - 1k € here in Germany for driving school lessons :)
And a bit on the topic: who wants to tell me that my rattling, loud, gear clocking G27 with it's big fat deadzone in every game would be enough... No!
A t300: I can live with this as "enough" but not with the logitech... I want a better wheel so bad :roflmao:
Are the courses mandatory for driving on the roads in Germany? And yeah, I have to admit Logitech wheels can get really loud!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the OSW (Open Sim Wheel) mutated to a GSW (GraniteDevices Sim Wheel) where they charge you 350€ for a mainboard. Over is the dream of a cheaply made diy dd wheel. But there are other projects ongoing in xsimulator forums, which have a lot of potential. So I will skip either of those overpriced dd wheels...

Waiting for some good black friday deals. TS PC Racer would be a nice addon to my collection (T300 & T500) but also a csw 2.5 bundle would be fine. And Fanatec's dd-wheel at next years black friday... ;_)

Upvote 0
Are the courses mandatory for driving on the roads in Germany? And yeah, I have to admit Logitech wheels can get really loud!
In Germany you have different mandatory lessons like 3x Autobahn, 2x at night, 5x country road etc.
But you will only get to them when you can drive. So first lessons are in calmer areas where you can learn the signs, to shift etc.
If you have a good simulator you can already learn how to park, shift, throttle control, clutch control, braking, looking in the mirror etc.
I sadly didn't have one back then so I paid about 2000€ for me license.

Friend of mine only started now with getting his licence and we practiced a lot with my cheap G27+H shifter on Tajo Hillclimp with Traffic and other free roam maps.
I explained him every sign too in a very detailed way, giving him "general" hints, like where to keep his eyes, how to know what rules are behind other signs etc.

He walks through driving school like a boss, lol :geek:

Upvote 0
Ahah, I bet. I have a friend who has been using City Car Driving a little bit before his test, but I don't know if that helped him.

Looks like you have a complete program over there. Impressive.
hehe yeah we have.
City car driving... Tried that, wasn't really helpful in my opinion. A little help with the theory and learn how to drive in Assetto Corsa, that's helpful :)

And well... People still drive like **** over here haha, but at least no one is confused with the pedals :p

Upvote 0
"Torque is a measure of how much twisting is applied to a fastener. The units used to measure torque are in the form of force times length. The metric (SI) unit of torque is the newton metre (Nm). In inch units, torque is usually measured as Lb-Ft (pounds feet) or Lb-In (pounds inch).

This thread has high Nm of torque, can we dial things down. :redface:

I'm sure some are still looking forward to more videos or info...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back