Tracks Watkins Glen International

Last time i checked watkins glen wasnt an f1 track. F1 tracks arent the be all and end all my friend , id rather drive grobnik than silverstone or monza much more fun and i bet 95% or f1 fans have never heard of the track.And lilski started all this with his correct comment :confused::p:D

You're wrong. The 1991-93 Silverstone is one of the all-time greatest circuits.

I know I'm poking the bear here, but... by what measure?

Silverstone has a lot of history, sure, but I've never considered it to be all that great of a circuit on its own merit. I've always found it a bit... dull. Same goes for Monza. Both circuits have a lot of history, major events (both good and bad) and a lot of sentimental ties... but as circuits themselves, I haven't considered either to be particularly fantastic.

I know I'm poking the bear here, but... by what measure?

Silverstone has a lot of history, sure, but I've never considered it to be all that great of a circuit on its own merit. I've always found it a bit... dull. Same goes for Monza. Both circuits have a lot of history, major events (both good and bad) and a lot of sentimental ties... but as circuits themselves, I haven't considered either to be particularly fantastic.

Off topic: 1991-93 Silverstone was an astonishing circuit, high speed almost all the way with some breathtaking turns.

Monza's high points was never chicanes, but the lesmos turns and parabolica are still thrilling.

When you have driven 1,000 laps, you will see the beauty of these circuits. Sit down, get comfortable and drive 100 laps of Monza. It won't have an instant thrill, but after 20 laps or so, you will begin to appreciate how great it really is.

The more you put in, the more you get out.

Watkins Glen is the same. Nothing amazing like Bathurst, but once you get into the zone, you will be elevated to a different level.

Example: I could never see the appeal of Cadwell Park, a narrow country road in my opinion. I set aside 20 minutes to get to know the circuit. Man alive, it is spectacular, from the first flat out section, to the very twitchy closing turns.

Every track (except Brno) has a rhythm, and discovering this is a beautiful experience. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Well everyone has their own opinions on what a great track is. I personally don't like Silverstone in any of its configurations and same goes with Monza. I would put Watkins Glen over just about every modern F1 circuit today even Spa. But that is just my opinion.

In any case this is not the place for this discussion. Wish I had something new to show to get back on track.

Off topic: 1991-93 Silverstone was an astonishing circuit, high speed almost all the way with some breathtaking turns.

Monza's high points was never chicanes, but the lesmos turns and parabolica are still thrilling.

When you have driven 1,000 laps, you will see the beauty of these circuits. Sit down, get comfortable and drive 100 laps of Monza. It won't have an instant thrill, but after 20 laps or so, you will begin to appreciate how great it really is.

The more you put in, the more you get out.

Watkins Glen is the same. Nothing amazing like Bathurst, but once you get into the zone, you will be elevated to a different level.

Example: I could never see the appeal of Cadwell Park, a narrow country road in my opinion. I set aside 20 minutes to get to know the circuit. Man alive, it is spectacular, from the first flat out section, to the very twitchy closing turns.

Every track (except Brno) has a rhythm, and discovering this is a beautiful experience. Enjoy it.

Just a quick note to say that I see what you're getting at - And I don't particularly dislike Silverstone or Monza (well, except for the current Silverstone configuration. It's terrible imho) but I've never thought either one is particularly great either. I've driven easily thousands of laps on Monza (across any version of it, minus the full 10k with chicanes from the mid 60s, I've never done that one), and at least hundreds on various layouts of Silverstone as well.

They're decent circuits, but by no means are either of them close to being best in the world imho.

I agree with Lilski: Watkins is better than any modern F1 circuit without exception. Modern F1 circuits are almost all crap circuits as far as I'm concerned. Spa is still good, Interlagos is pretty neat, and Montreal is good (but only until the walls get moved out) - I'll append my earlier comment about Mills being the only exception to the 'flat tracks are crap' rule, Montreal is also a good circuit.

But, anyways, back on topic: Watkins! :confused: :notworthy:

Imsa have uploaded quite a few historic GTP races at Watkins Glen in the last days.
Really enjoying them and looking so much forward to your track.
That crash at 30min. my heart skipped a beat.

Ouch. That was a scary hit... And O'Connell was lucky not to get taken out limping away from his car... Geez...

:confused:

Trying not to put any pressure on LilSki but do you have an approximate release date for this amazing looking build?
Right now I'm busy with real life and some quick side projects for my league. But my goal is to have a ton of time between xmas and new years to really go to town and get most of the objects modeled for Watkins. I would like to release something of a WIP build by new years but that all depends on how far I get next week.

Amazing. Really really looking forward to this one. If you want some testers, drop me a PM. (I promise/guarantee you that I won't distribute it to anyone)

Northern America has one of the finest racing tracks in the world (which aren't Tilkerized). Good to see this iconic track made in top quality.

Right now I'm busy with real life and some quick side projects for my league. But my goal is to have a ton of time between xmas and new years to really go to town and get most of the objects modeled for Watkins. I would like to release something of a WIP build by new years but that all depends on how far I get next week.

OK ... so everybody stop asking silly questions and leave LilSki alone so's he can work.

... and OH YEAH ... BTW, Ski, I thought you were working on NJMP Thunderbolt. What's up with that???

and if you do get out a WGI WIP, make sure you get the AI working sos we can go racin'!:geek:.

OK ... so everybody stop asking silly questions and leave LilSki alone so's he can work.

... and OH YEAH ... BTW, Ski, I thought you were working on NJMP Thunderbolt. What's up with that???

and if you do get out a WGI WIP, make sure you get the AI working sos we can go racin'!:geek:.
No Watkins was always going to be the next project. I had hoped I would be able to work on NJMP Thunderbolt at the same time but it just wasn't possible.

As for a WIP release I would never put out something that isn't 100% functional.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back