Tracks Watkins Glen International

Worst turn for me in the pCars version is the outer loop and the chute. I can't recall exactly whats wrong with the outer loop, perhaps the banking. When racing the iR version the outer loop was effortless. In contrast the same turn in the pCars version was a serious chore.

The pCars Glen isn't terrible when you consider its completely done by eye, no LiDAR was used to the best of my knowledge.

Although there is no excuse for the same version being carried over to pCars 2 considering all the bragging SMS did about their shark LASER scanning capable drones, ha !

Worst turn for me in the pCars version is the outer loop and the chute. I can't recall exactly whats wrong with the outer loop, perhaps the banking. When racing the iR version the outer loop was effortless. In contrast the same turn in the pCars version was a serious chore.

The pCars Glen isn't terrible when you consider its completely done by eye, no LiDAR was used to the best of my knowledge.

Although there is no excuse for the same version being carried over to pCars 2 considering all the bragging SMS did about their shark LASER scanning capable drones, ha !
T1 is wrong. It levels out before the turn instead of downhill all the way past the apex. The Bus Stop curbs are dead flat is PC1/2. You can drive right over them and they don't upset the car at all (NASCAR gets air born over these curbs in RL). The banking/elevations are wrong in outer loop. There is also a strange hump on the way to T10 that is not really there. I don't even think I drove in the boot but I am sure something is wrong down there. It is just bad and IMO there is no excuse in 2017 with all the data out there that is free. All they did was slap some new curbs in and changed the road texture and called it updated to 2017.

Also again I'm not digging into PC2 as a whole just their decision regarding some of these tracks. It is my understanding that Sonoma is terrible too but I have not studied that course to know for sure.

EDIT: The lidar scan I am using is from 2014. It's the same data SRW used to build theirs. PC1 doesn't even have an excuse IMO.

T1 is wrong. It levels out before the turn instead of downhill all the way past the apex. The Bus Stop curbs are dead flat is PC1/2. You can drive right over them and they don't upset the car at all (NASCAR gets air born over these curbs in RL). The banking/elevations are wrong in outer loop. There is also a strange hump on the way to T10 that is not really there. I don't even think I drove in the boot but I am sure something is wrong down there. It is just bad and IMO there is no excuse in 2017 with all the data out there that is free. All they did was slap some new curbs in and changed the road texture and called it updated to 2017.

Also again I'm not digging into PC2 as a whole just their decision regarding some of these tracks. It is my understanding that Sonoma is terrible too but I have not studied that course to know for sure.

EDIT: The lidar scan I am using is from 2014. It's the same data SRW used to build theirs. PC1 doesn't even have an excuse IMO.

Regarding Sonoma I can believe that for sure. Sonoma is infinitely (Infineon-ly, haha) more complex than The Glen. I wonder why SMS doesn't use LiDAR if they don't want to pay for LS data.

Watkins Glen is the first track I learned after Talladega in the original Papyrus NASCAR Racing game, then when GPL was released I learned the historic version. The modern version reminds me a bit of LimeRock, short , decent elevation changes, not difficult to learn yet still challenging.

Looking forward to a proper version of Watkins Glen in AC !

Last edited:
T1 is wrong. It levels out before the turn instead of downhill all the way past the apex. The Bus Stop curbs are dead flat is PC1/2. You can drive right over them and they don't upset the car at all (NASCAR gets air born over these curbs in RL).

Fantastic!!!! One of my major bugbears with Watkins Glen in sims is those flat curbs at the bus stop, this is going to be stunning.

Just about the main reason I bought PCars 2 was for Watkins Glen (played PCars1 on my PS4 before getting a PC). That was a waste, don't think the game has quite lived up to the hype, yet anyway.

Having this track track for AC is going to want me to delete every other game from my hard drive :laugh:

Thank you again!

Small update. Been working on getting everything inside the guard rails completed.

Example of some of the tire walls around the track. Yet another detail PC2 got wrong. As of 2017 they are all painted blue.
Screenshot_bmw_z4_gt3_watkins_glen_20-10-117-10-41-12.jpg

And an example of the SAFER barrier in the bus stop. This is also found in the final turn as well.
Screenshot_bmw_z4_gt3_watkins_glen_20-10-117-10-38-35.jpg

Are all your textures are done by hand, baking HP model or texture picked otherwhere? It is very well done!
Right now it is a combination of things. Some textures are mine and some are borrowed for now just to make sure I get the look I want. Then I will go back at some point and make my own or use with permission. The main thing now is getting the 3D model built and in place. Once that is all done then I will go back and sort the final textures out. I hope to be done with the main track soon so I can get moving on the track side objects like the grand stands, various buildings, and of course the trees.

Looks amazing as usual.

When you model tracks are you layering it?

Like one layer for trees, grass, track etc.
Layer as in multiple kn5 files then yes I do. All of my previous tracks are setup that way. I also use KSLAYERS for many things like grass, people, cars, etc. so world detail settings actually work.

As for inside blender I use layers all the time. In fact I usually run out of layers. I always keep old models when I make the next step forward just in case I have to go back. Sometimes I even go as far as use multiple blend files. Bridgehampton had dedicated files for the grass and trees.

Last edited:
Great as usual. I want to thank you again for your superb tracks, I have switched to a low FOV (30) lately and now they look and feel even better. Last night i did some multiplayer at Bridgehampton, what a wonderful job you did with that one. I also tried it in VR racing the Shelby Cobras and i think this combo could sell many VR headsets.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back