F1 2010 Wall of champions in Canada

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Spent the whole of yesterday night time trialing at Montreal.

The chicane at the wall of champions is an absolute nightmare.

I managed to work out that in time trial you need to take in 5th and turn in and then straighten up really agressively to maintain momentum onto the pit straight.

I would say that about 50% of the time I would get it badly wrong using this method but when it did work it was much faster.

I can see me being a lot more conservative in the league race at this corner, trying to fly it will only lead to disaster

I managed to work out that in time trial you need to take in 5th and turn in and then straighten up really agressively to maintain momentum onto the pit straight.

I would say that about 50% of the time I would get it badly wrong using this method but when it did work it was much faster.

I can see me being a lot more conservative in the league race at this corner, trying to fly it will only lead to disaster

You must have a huge amount of momentum if taking the Wall of Champions chicane in 5th gets you a good run onto the pit straight!!!

This is slightly embarrassing and I will blame it on the massive birthday party McLaren threw for me last night, the booze, the women, the lack of sleep has all taken its toll, but I was thinking of the wrong chicane. I was thinking turns 9 and 10 - not 14 and 15 onto the pit straight. Yes, I mean the other wall of champions - doh!

Im happy to take as much abuse for this faux pas as you lot can throw.

As for me, I have very little consistancy in this turn, its even worse if you are following or defending someone at the same time.

I have a braking point which is one of the shadows on the track, and then I normally take it down to 4th, and exit the turn either sideways or backwards. Normally take it in 5th in TT mode.

That last chicane, 1 important thing is during exit, dont floor the throttle. Most of the time, it will get a wheel spin because when you're optimally taking that control, your right rear wheel will end slightly over the kerb which has that green patch that is pretty slippery.

Out of 10 time that i floor, i will have 10 wheelspin. Some is recoverable, some is not.

Try with 3/4 or 4/5 throttle position. Which could still accelerate. When the wheel left the kerb, you can floor the throttle.

Also another to note is, when taking that chicane, mounting on the right kerb is more dangerous than mounting on the left kerb. :)

But ideally is not touching the kerb on both side. The entry angle is very important.

There is an art, or rather, a knack to the Wall of Champions. The knack lies in learning how to drive yourself at the wall and miss. Pick a nice day, and try it

The first part is easy. All it requires is simply the ability to drive yourself forward with all your speed, and the willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt

That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the wall. Most people fail to miss the wall, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.

Clearly, it is the second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

One problem is that you have to miss the wall accidentally. It's no good deliberately intending to miss the wall because you won't. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you're halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about driving, or about the wall, or about how much it's going to hurt if you fail to miss it.

It is notoriously difficult to prize your attention away from these three things during the split second you have at your disposal. Hence most people's failure, and their eventual disillusionment with this exhilarating and spectacular sport.

If, however, you are lucky enough to have your attention momentarily distracted at the crucial moment by, say, a gorgeous pair of legs (tentacles, pseudopodia, according to phyllum and/or personal inclination) or a bomb going off in your vicinty, or by suddenly spotting an extremely rare species of beetle crawling along a nearby twig, then in your astonishment you will miss the wall completely and remain driving just a few inches away from it in what might seem to be a slightly foolish manner

This is a moment for superb and delicate concentration. Bob and float, float and bob. Ignore all consideration of your own speed simply let yourself drive faster & faster. Do not listen to what anybody says to you at this point because they are unlikely to say anything helpful. They are most likely to say something along the lines of "Good God, you can't possibly have missed that wall!" It is vitally important not to believe them or they will suddenly be right.

Drive faster & faster. Try a few swerves, gentle ones at first, then drift along the tarmac breathing regularly

DO NOT WAVE AT ANYBODY.

When you have done this a few times you will find the moment of distraction rapidly easier and easier to achieve.

You will then learn all sorts of things about how to control your car, your speed, your maneuverability, and the trick usually lies in not thinking too hard about whatever you want to do, but just allowing it to happen as if it were going to anyway.

Raise the front and rear ride height to 4-5... this means you can carry more speed and go straight over the kerbs... I did this and done a 1:14.0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back