VW Motorsport Boss to Present F1 Plan to Board

VW Motorsport Boss to Present F1 Plan to Board

Volkswagen_logo_F3_Euroseries.jpg

Executives at Volkswagen will soon be presented with a proposal for one of its brands to enter Formula 1 as an engine supplier, according to the group's head of motorsport, Wolfgang Dürheimer.

The VW Group, which also owns Audi, Skoda, Seat, Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini, as well as Porsche through its parent Porsche Automobil Holding SE, certainly has the necessary brands to enter the sport.

Speaking to WirtschaftsWoche, Dürheimer hinted at plans to enter the sport, most likely as an engine supplier, with speculation that they could move into team ownership in a few years time, by buying into a current outfit.

"I will introduce my concept later this year and put forward proposals that affect not only the racing series we are currently involved in," said Dürheimer.

"In terms of the planned sales of the VW group in the Americas, Asia and the Middle East, we are not sufficiently represented in motorsport in these areas. In my view, this must be corrected."

Dürheimer believes F1 presents the best opportunity to represent itself in Europe and Asia, but isn't sure about the US, despite the Austin and New Jersey GP's planned for this and next year.

"F1 is by far the most relevant and dominates the racing scene in Europe and Asia," he added, but continued "'it's far from visible [in the US], but they have IndyCar and Nascar racing. These race series must [also] be examined in the context of a future strategy."

Dürheimer most recently stated that he could see VW in F1 as a works team by 2018.

"I could imagine involvement in F1 by 2018, when the company is at the forefront of the industry. We have enough brands that could do that," he told Auto Motor und Sport last year.

TheF1Times.com

Isn't Scania the commercial vehicle side? It would make sense marketing wise for it to be Saab, if they choose that arm of the business.

My money is on Porsche actually, as thats got the most production sports car history.

Having said that, VW is already supplying F3, so it could be a case of growing their motorsport prestige, maybe using the VW F3 as a feeder to F1?

I would like Bentley or Bugatti. Then they would have most of their brands represented in Motorsports again with Audi and Porsche in LMS. VW and SEAT in Touring cars with the VW F3 supplied engines along with the Lamborghini's running in various GT series.

I wonder if they'd get enough teams interested in order for it to make financial sense.
Cosworth are barely surviving with only supplying 2 teams now.

I wonder if they'd get enough teams interested in order for it to make financial sense.
Cosworth are barely surviving with only supplying 2 teams now.
BMW only supplied Williams a while back and before that i think they only supported one team at a time.
They might have supplied two teams way back though, not sure.

If you build a good engine, people will pay more, and more will be interested.
Like BMW they are known for their engines especially the V10´s so i think there was some gain economically and in knowledge during that period.

So what i´m saying is that WV knows how to build engines, they have an enormous amount of talent pool due to all these companies and their standard is probably way higher then Cosworth :)

I think Cosworth are finished soon anyway.
There are rumours of HRT looking at Ferrari engines for 2013 or 2014.
I doubt Cosworth will be able to stay in F1 with just own customer.

Also, there were rumours circulating at the end of last season that McLaren were in early talks with Honda about renewing their partnership when the new turbo era comes back in 2014.

It will be Mercedes, they have already said they had no issues with Mercedes having their own team.

Just like Renault had no problems supplying Red Bull despite them having their own works team.
the thing with Red bull now is, they are effectively a works team as they get engines free in return for brand recognition.

I find it poor that Mercedes charging Mclaren despite the success they have brought to the brand.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 149 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%