VR!!

Well I made the jump. I could not resist the $399 Rift price. And OH MY WOWEEEEE. So glad I made the jump. The immersion. THE INTENSITY!!!! Gosh a touring car at Ring Knutstorp in VR......... Just ask my wife. This is the first time she's heard me laughing and cheering after a wreck. So good. And I'm only running an rx 480.

hahaah....glad you're enjoying it.

If you think that is a good experience try PCars2, Assetto Corsa or iRacing. R3E probably has the least efficient implementation of VR at the moment due to its DX9 engine. Try the others and you'll be blown away at the clarity and cockpit detail.

Am I the only one who isn't thrilled about it? I have to be honest, didn't gave it a go in any of the circuit Sims, just dirt rally and I am sick after 2-3min, can't even finish a stage.
No sickness in the car or anywhere else in real life, in vr I am nauseated in normal games also. :(
Was really glad of my upgrade to vr and 1080ti but looks like I won't enjoy it that much

Am I the only one who isn't thrilled about it? I have to be honest, didn't gave it a go in any of the circuit Sims, just dirt rally and I am sick after 2-3min, can't even finish a stage.
No sickness in the car or anywhere else in real life, in vr I am nauseated in normal games also. :(
Was really glad of my upgrade to vr and 1080ti but looks like I won't enjoy it that much
I got that same feeling at first Caramidaru, i was doing 20 minutes. 30 minutes then suddenly i could do a whole hour. At first i had that sick feeling hours after taking the headset off. Now its ok. I don't think i could do a lot of it for long for its manageable

Use Assetto Corsa with the Real Head Motion plugin or select "Lock to horizon" if the game has this option. Dirt Rally is far too intense to start with VR. Also don't push it: race for max 15 minutes on day 1, then 25 on day 2 etcetera if you are sensitive to motion sickness (I was, I'm immune now). Racing in VR: you're THERE...
General tip: lign up your wheel with the in-game wheel for maximum immersion.

VR is the best thing that ever happened to racing games. Honestly it's just amazing. But even if I spent a lot of time on Iracing and AC I think that R3E has the best immersion ever.
For those who suffer from motion sickness try to make short sessions at the beginning then increase the length gradually. It should work, probably not for first person shooters, but in this case you're supposed to be sitting behind a wheel so your brain should "accept" it more easily.
Using a gametrix apparently helped a lot of sim drivers too.

Stick with it Mr.C those feeling of sickness will get less and less the more you use it took me a few days to get used to it, now I can manage 1.5 hour league race the only problem for me now is heat I need a fan blowing at the headset after about 20 mins it can get quite warm.

hahaah....glad you're enjoying it.

If you think that is a good experience try PCars2, Assetto Corsa or iRacing. R3E probably has the least efficient implementation of VR at the moment due to its DX9 engine. Try the others and you'll be blown away at the clarity and cockpit detail.

Yes I just figured this out. After spending a few hours in iRacing, I went back to Raceroom and thought my computer went wrong or something hahaha. Such a shame cuz I really like that game. But I will deal with it to get my DTM 92, Classic Touring car, Group 5, WTCC fix. So I am now tinkering with Assetto Corsa and it runs just as smooth as iRacing. I have yet to purchase PCars2 as I moved away from 1 when discovered the other sim. Perhaps I will read through the reviews....and give it a chance.

What RRE had going for it is the audio side. VR is about immersion and RRE has nailed it. Whatever it lacks in visuals it more than makes up for it on the audio side. The bone jarring crunch when you get in a crash is second to none.

What RRE had going for it is the audio side. VR is about immersion and RRE has nailed it. Whatever it lacks in visuals it more than makes up for it on the audio side. The bone jarring crunch when you get in a crash is second to none.
This. I've never been a pixel crack junky so have never needed ultimate visuals to get immersed in a game. For me, R3E is the single most immersive racing sim in VR bar none, and a lot of that probably is due to the audio. It's just fantastic and no other sim comes close.

R3E + VR + Gametrix = perfection Easy to setup and he recognizes perfectly Iracing, AC, PC2 in a blink of an eye with all the available sliders.
Personally I stay on R3E, the single most immersive racing sim, I agree, and I've tried them all, even if the online features are miles behind Iracing.
Thanks for the recommendation David I've had my eye on this since I went to VR, which one did you buy the standard version or Andre's modified version?

I find the motion affects me more when horizon lock is ON. Especially in Dirt Rally. It's an awesome feeling going over jumps but. You get that feeling in the pit of your stomach. For users affected by motion sickness I can't imagine this being a good thing.... :/

Either way I'm never affected my motion sickness, I just find it weird that the cockpit turns sideways in my headset yet I am sitting pretty still, even with a motion platform.

That's most people. I have tried to use it, from a realism point of view, and while it takes away the bouncing in the cockpit for the most part (simulating the way your eyes stay locked to a fixed point on your horizon while your peripheral is the part that bounces) it actually adds more unrealistic senses when the car is anywhere but completely flat. The cockpit turns sideways, and you are seated completely still in your cockpit. Like I said, for me, motion sickness is not an issue so it's just about chasing the immersion at this point for me.

One way to fix this completely? Have a slider. Ala AMS, which recently had a 0-100% horizon lock bar added to the display options section. I leave it on 75%, and it's absolutely perfect. PC1 has it to (world movement) but the others either have nothing, or an on/off option, which doesn't work in my opinion. Rally games especially. Also race tracks with big rises and dips (Bathurst, Spa, etc.) The 75% option lets me smooth out the harsh bumps that you may not really see when driving an actual car, but doesn't turn your POV sideways in the cockpit when you're tilted, or when driving uphill doesn't leave you looking at your pedals.....

One way to fix this completely? Have a slider. Ala AMS, which recently had a 0-100% horizon lock bar added to the display options section. I leave it on 75%, and it's absolutely perfect. PC1 has it to (world movement) but the others either have nothing, or an on/off option, which doesn't work in my opinion.
@AntoN_CheZ, R3E has exactly that. Check out your key bindings and you'll find ones for Cockpit Cam Movement Increase/Decrease, unmapped by default. Set it to 0 and it locks the cam to the horizon. At 100 you bounce around. I have mine set to 20 which does exactly what you described... smooths out the bumps without producing silly head movements.

@Ross Garland i did notice that setting, perhaps the way that it's worded is a little misleading. I was always under the impression that all head movement, look to apex, etc. should be turned OFF for VR, and pretty much even with screens, especially when running motion as you move around slightly already.

I will have a go at that the next time I fire it up. I once edited ALL the car files to try and replicate a Real Head Motion setting in them, but again, they seemed to do that weird cockpit movement where the horizon was indeed stationary for the most part, but that cockpit tilted unnaturally while off camber, going up hills and so on. I ended up deleting the cars folder and requiring it as stock.

Thanks for the heads up, will report back to how I find it :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 342 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%