• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have a chance to win a copy of F1 2017 The Game (PC) by following RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

VR GPU

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Alexandre Costa, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Alexandre Costa

Alexandre Costa

Ratings:
    +92
    Hi folks, I'm conidering buying a GTX 980 TI to use Oculus Rift CV 1. What do you guys think about its performance to run AC, PCars and LFS (I assume this one is less GPU demanding, right?)? Do you guys think it's enough to run them at a decent settings?
    Thanks

2. Emery

Emery

Ratings:
    +386
    Check out Gamermuscle's VR videos on YouTube. He's using a GTX 970, primarily in AC, and it seems to work, so a 980 TI would be even better. Personally, I'd probably choose a GTX 1070 just stay on a current chipset.

3. Alexandre Costa

Alexandre Costa

Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks mate. I've found a gtx 1070 founder edition at a reasonable price. What's founder edition? :O_o:

4. PicoBp

PicoBp
    #26 | HSRC - Banzaaaiii Touring Car Crew Premium

Ratings:
    +463
    That's the reference cooler design (blower style). Ramps up to 2GHz Core/9GHz VRAM with a little overclock, and temps stay under 70°C with reasonable noise. Pretty good card me thinks. ;)
    Oh, and it demands almost half the power of a 980Ti, so you can get along with a 550-600W power supply. :)

5. jpwrx7

jpwrx7
    John P. Wilson

Ratings:
    +9
    I am currently running a GTX980, in an ASUS G20, with a CV1, its awesome. The headset is a game changer.

6. Pär Öqvist

Pär Öqvist

Ratings:
    +111
    Think you can get it to run okay particularly now with ASW. I have not yet try that though I am trying to get 90 fps with my X 1080. I have to turn track detail to low when running against 30 cars or I do get stutter. But I do run some supersampling at 1.5 too. LFS I could run well with a mere 7970HD. Depending on budget of course but if you can get a 1070 :)

7. Zboubi

Zboubi

Ratings:
    +32
    1080 is the minimum, or wait 1080 ti, you need a good cpu ,66000k , 67000k,4790 k,4670k.

8. Zboubi

Zboubi

Ratings:
    +32
    6600k, 6700k, sorry

9. burrito

burrito
    It's an opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Premium

Ratings:
    +402
    Don't buy a 1070 unless you can find a founders edition from Nvidia. The newer ones have different memory (Micron instead of Samsung) that the card wasn't designed for. The 3d party board manufacturers swapped them with no QC testing (it seems). The micron chips cannot be overclocked (some people have even reported issues with the factory overclocks) without getting artefacts and crashing.

My 1070 when OC'd on memory by +100MHz crashed and took out my trusty Ivy Bridge Motherboard.

Would not recomend a 1070. Go straight to a 1080 or get a 980ti (perfectly fine on a 600W+ power supply) especially on a newer CPU platform that uses more efficient CPU and RAM.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  10. PicoBp

PicoBp
    #26 | HSRC - Banzaaaiii Touring Car Crew Premium

Ratings:
    +463
    Wow, never heard of that, but for once I'm happy that I couldn't wait to get one. :)

My ASUS Founders Edition 1070 is running strong with +250MHz on the memory, resulting in an effective 9GHz clock. :thumbsup:

11. burrito

burrito

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah... spent £400 and it wrecked my mobo. Got a refund but that had to go toward a new Skylake Platform :( so no GPU for me :p

Edit: Although GigaByte have revieved a very nasty (but polite) email about the apparent lack of QC testing so I shall see where that takes me.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    • Wow Wow x 1
  12. Alexandre Costa

Alexandre Costa

Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to wait to improve my PC. It's going to be expensive (and I live in Brazil, wich makes everything much more expensive).

13. Insert Coin

Insert Coin

Ratings:
    +111
    Running AC on a GTX 1080 with a 2600k @ 4.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM @ 2133 MHz. Supersampling (pixel density) at 1.8, AA set at 4x, shadow res high, world detail high, ASW turned off. 12 opponents, stutter free :). The 2600k is the best bang-for-buck-CPU Intel ever made :thumbsup:.

FYI: had a GTX 970 before, could not go beyond supersampling 1.5 with 12 opponents, shadow res low, world detaild medium and AA turned off. But that's not too bad either for such a budget card (nowadays).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. burrito

burrito

Ratings:
    +402
    A 970 is really ok in every race sim apart from iRacing for VR IMO :)