VR Am I being silly ?

Those of you that wear glasses will know that although most VR goggles are designed to wear with glasses its not that great.
I do a lot of welding and when I go for new lenses for my welding mask, if I give them my prescription from my last eye test they provide lenses so that I don't have to were glasses when welding under the welding mask.
Would it be possible for the VR goggle manufactures to write into the software a program where you could feed in your requirement and the image would be magnified so that you didn't need to wear your glasses.
Just a thought but it would benefit so many users.
What do other members think

I like that thought! Although I don't need glasses, my whole family wears some so I'm familiar with all kinds of problems.
I know that camera viewfinders can so it so I think VR goggles should be able to do the same!
I don't know if you can blur an image to negate it. I guess not since it's a distance problem.
Anyway I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to pay maybe 100€ more for VR and get lenses in there, personally for you :)

Upvote 0
I like that thought! Although I don't need glasses, my whole family wears some so I'm familiar with all kinds of problems.
I know that camera viewfinders can so it so I think VR goggles should be able to do the same!
I don't know if you can blur an image to negate it. I guess not since it's a distance problem.
Anyway I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to pay maybe 100€ more for VR and get lenses in there, personally for you :)

The SLR cameras have a mechanical adjustment that moves the optics of the viewfinder back and forth.

I think it might be tough to go for a solution where you just enter you prescription value in software and it adjusts with some electric mechanism. In addition to that sounding difficult to get right for a large number of individuals you also face problems around liability, as well as incorrect or outdated prescription values.

My though is that it would probably be best to have VR headsets that have a frame for prescription lenses in front of their own optics. That way you get your prescription lenses, forget about their own frame and just mount them in the VR set.

Upvote 0
I'd have a hard time giving up the ability move my point of view around in the cockpit. In VR I'm always leaning my head forward to get a better view of a corner or to look past the corner like I do in real life. Even my friend's three monitor setup lacks this ability. I think the recent rise in VR is just getting started.

Upvote 0
I'd have a hard time giving up the ability move my point of view around in the cockpit. In VR I'm always leaning my head forward to get a better view of a corner or to look past the corner like I do in real life. Even my friend's three monitor setup lacks this ability. I think the recent rise in VR is just getting started.

I'm saving my bucks for the next gen Rift, going to be out of this world I suspect.

Upvote 0
I find that VR provides a very important improvement: find your way and direct your car with your upper body, don't just nudge your hands. Look where you want to go, not where the car is currently going. When you look to the place where you want to go don't turn your head by swiveling. Try to integrate head direction finding and your hands. Anyway, that is what my last autocross instructor dictated, and I think it was a reaction to my by then visible simulator habits, which is keep looking straight and do robotic hands.

I am not yet faster in VR, there are some things contributing to better times in VR and some problems. I rate this as an important plus, though. Even if it ends up not leading to better times in VR, at least I don't have to unlearn habits in real cars.

Upvote 0
But it is a lot cheaper than a good monitor setup. In fact the price (in the US) for the Rift including two sensors and two controllers (which you don't need for AC) is the same as for one decent LCD monitor.

Upvote 0
How do people find VR with contact lenses? I actually can't read writing very well close-to when wearing my contact lenses (partly due to my lenses also having to correct my astigmatism, which mucks up my near vision a bit), so am concerned that's seeing a screen clearly a few inches from my eyes is going to be a problem...

Upvote 0
How do people find VR with contact lenses? I actually can't read writing very well close-to when wearing my contact lenses (partly due to my lenses also having to correct my astigmatism, which mucks up my near vision a bit), so am concerned that's seeing a screen clearly a few inches from my eyes is going to be a problem...
The focal length of VR is fixed at 1.5m away so will be fine for you except if you are trying to look at things up close of course.

Upvote 0
The focal length of VR is fixed at 1.5m away so will be fine for you except if you are trying to look at things up close of course.

Upvote 0
If VR would be alive Oculus would further develop which they do not and HTC is on the verge of going bankrupt so i do not believe in a future for VR

HTC going bankrupt because of their crappy cell phone division, which they have since sold off to Google. Now they are 100% dedicated to VR, with Vive Pro coming out this quarter. If a company as large as HTC is making such major shift to VR, that shows the market potential. Plus Facebook is on a hiring spreed these past 2 months trying to expand their Oculus division. This is just the beginning of VR.
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-hiring-spree-suggests-facebook-is-accelerating-vr-ar-plans/

I have the Vive since introduction and that is what got me back to sim racing. Been gaming for several decades and I can say for sure, VR is not just a fad, but a requirement for future of gaming.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 210 14.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years