Volusia Speedway Park Coming to iRacing.com

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Dirt Oval.jpg

iRacing.com have today confirmed the Volusia Speedway Park dirt oval will be added to the simulation once dirt surface simulation finally becomes available to the public.

Volusia Speedway Park is a popular 1/2 mile dirt oval based in Barberville, FL. Known throughout America as "The World's Fastest Half-Mile" and popular amongst a wide range of National stockcar drivers, the track is sure to make a very positive addition to the service once it is releases later in the year.

Opened in 1968 and later making the permanent switch to dirt as recently as 1997, the oval is a regular fixture on World of Outlaws Series and the Super DIRTcar Series. The venue is one of the more prestigious locations in the dirt oval racing world.

Fun fact: Volusia Speedway Park opened as a 1/4 mile dirt oval in 1968. In August 1969 the venue expanded to 3/8 mile and ran in that configuration until 1971. For the 1972 season the venue became a 1/2 mile dirt oval and ran under those conditions until 1989, when the circuit owners converted the track to a paved racing surface. It operated as a paved oval until 1997, even running the high profile NASCAR Bush Series in 1989,90,91 and 1992. For the 1998 season Volusia was redeveloped back to it's dirt configuration which it maintains to this day.

We’re excited to join the other great race tracks on iRacing.com,” says Volusia Speedway President Tom Deery. “Volusia Speedway Park is famous for some of the fastest dirt track racing to be found, and I’m sure iRacers everywhere will enjoy the challenge of racing here.”

Volusia Speedway Park will be a great addition to our lineup,” says Steve Myers, Executive Vice President and Executive Producer for iRacing.com. “The fact that great racers like Donny Schatz, Brad Sweet, Shane Clanton, Brandon Sheppard and others keep coming back to race every year tells you all you need to know about Volusia Speedway Park’s place in American racing.”
iRacing is an online only racing simulation available for PC. Utilising a subscription based system, content can be purchased as individual items priced per piece.

Check out the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with your fellow iRacing fans. Leave a comment about your thoughts on the game, or download one of the many community created setups to help boost your competitive advantage!

Looking forward to dirt in iRacing? Which dirt location would you most like to see added to the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Hey Matt, don't hate on us UK'ers we have grass track racing in the UK, an entry level short track of sorts, and I believe we have stoxcarts or something, I only know about it because the guy that does my paints was a UK champion in that field.

http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/incarace/formula.php?name=sk

We probably have more small ovals than high speed ones. Rockingham I think being the only one, unfortunately.

I'm thinking people without tripples may struggle? Or have to set their camera to an angle to make the most of it? I don't know but like I said genuinely look forward to what's coming.

I know you guys have dirt track / short track racing over there, but the part I underlined exactly sums up the difference. It's just not the same world because it isn't the same - it's like your football vs our football. Even here we play your football, but we care about our football, not yours. :D

I doubt the camera angle will be an issue, the corners aren't blind and you should be easily able to account for the car to your front right corner by knowing where he was at the start of the corner.

We have your football at our national stadium once a year and I believe it's a hit. We even have our own man verses food now!

I knew the dirt knowledge was improving the road side but I didn't know it effected the tyre model, and if it leads to rain WOW. Good times! Well, I think it's a careful what you wish for thing as a lot of people struggle with the weather variations as it is (myself included) , throwing rain into the mix or maybe different tyre compounds could cause Mayhem!

SHORT TRACK CURRENT & OUTLOOK

‘Although short-tracks have over 1-million fans annually and over 1600 teams competing they have consistently declined in attendance and team counts over the past 10-years. This along with higher operating costs has led to a consistent trend of lower revenue among tracks. Despite NASCAR's popularity at the national level, short-track racing in many parts of the state is struggling to survive financially.’

‘A serious challenge for short-tracks is the ‘greying’ of the fan base and decline in youth attendance.’

The above quotes taken from; ‘North Carolina Short Track – White Paper’

The term ‘Short Track’ is the part of the title of the white paper, yet ‘Dirt Tracks’ are included in all the papers findings.

The 1-million fan base is positive, in a country with 325,000,000 people, no question about that.

‘Consistently declining... attendance’, I think that means, less people going to the tracks.

‘Decline in youth attendance’, again, I think that means, young people have no interest in ‘short track racing’ or ‘dirt track racing’, (North Carolina has lots of both types of tracks).

‘Struggling to survive financially,’ once again, I think this means, tracks may close, simply because no one, or not enough people are going to the tracks to cover the costs.

‘Greying’, now, I have no understanding of what this means. I had to look it up; in Americaland, this means getting old. In some parts of Americaland looking old is a sin, however in this context it simply means that the customer base is getting old, and as happens to old things, they died.

‘Declining team counts’, this one is easy, less people can be bothered to create a team. However, what it really means is that less racers are entering races.

Now, I could be wrong on all the above points, simply because this is an American sport, and I am from the UK. However, since the above ‘White Paper, was written by an American State, Short Track and Dirt Track Organisation, based in Americaland, we must take it as true; why would they lie?

And this is just one report, from one state.

Some states could be doing better than North Carolina; however, some states could be doing a lot worse.

‘There has never been a proper dirt oval sim’, as stated by Matt.

Matt, you are 100% correct, nothing to debate there.

However, Matt, just ask yourself why ‘There has never been a proper dirt oval sim’.

Ever.

Game developers do something called, ‘Market Research’. You may have heard of it, interesting concept. They like to use ‘insider’ reports like the white paper quoted from above.

Just maybe, the game developers and publishers have concluded that maybe, just maybe, it is not worth sinking lots of money and time into a market that will never grow?

As in, ‘we are not going to make a profit’.

Just a thought.

‘These are small tracks, of course "very small crowds" show up.’ Thank you, Matt, for correcting me on that point; small tracks, small crowds at a short track racing event, how I did not work that out, I will never know.

However, Bing/Google web search is great for finding images. 2 mins is all it takes to find hundreds of images showing empty stands, stands with 2 or 3 people sat down etc.

Perhaps it is that ‘Consistently declining... attendance’ issue.

Or maybe ‘Declining team counts’, ‘over the past 10 years’.

And yes, you can also find images of full stands, at the big races.

So, to recap; the sport has less people watching, less people racing, less money, and a lot of greying going on.

Thus, less potential customers.

So, Matt, now do you understand why I, and many others, are a little confused as to why iracing is spending a lot of money and time developing, ‘short track dirt racing’.

Do they need to expand to "people outside of the USA"? Honestly Matt, what do you think?

Last time I checked, iracing was a business. I am sure iracing has done the figures, and they think ‘Dirt’ will be covered by sales. Honestly Matt, how many people outside of the USA are going to rush and sign up to iracing because it now has ‘dirt’, not many. Would it not make more sense from a business point of view to finish the tracks and cars you have licenced/paid for, instead of having them sat on some cyber-shelve somewhere? And then do ‘dirt’. Or perhaps ‘downhill soapbox racing?’

‘Dirt fans are very hardcore racing fans in general - the type who would want to go home and play race cars on the PC.’ I am sure they are very ‘hardcore’…

However, this point you have made does not stand up. Let me explain for you; if this generalization was correct, you could state that, NASCAR fans are very etc., etc. And play race cars on the PC.

Well, NASCAR has many, many millions of fans worldwide, and they do not all ‘play race cars on the PC’.

Because if they did, iracing would have millions of players.

Yet they do not.

Do they.

32,000 active players active. Active is the key word here.

Wrecks, swearing and protesting are part of racing and dirt will be no different. You missed out the ‘i’… As in, ‘are part of iracing’.

‘Wrecks’, motor racing is a non-contact sport…

‘Swearing’, is not allowed in iracing…

‘Protesting’, is just protesting.

Which brings me onto the Porsche statement.

The point was that players could not drive in a straight line, thus they had just ‘jumped’ in the car, joined a race, and crashed. Within 100 yards…

Fun race, nothing wrong with that.

People having fun with the new toy.

So, we have the people that play with the Porsche, and the people that have bothered to learn how to drive it, and race it.

So, you end up with a core group of people that race the Porsche, yes?

Great.

The same thing will happen with ‘Dirt’.

Yet the core group of people will be much smaller.

Because it is a niche group, within a niche group, within a niche group.

Simple really.

Here in the UK, very small island near a place called Europe, we have something called ‘Grass-track Racing’.

Because we are British and posh, we use grass and not dirt. My friend, Stan and his son raced and promoted the track and event. Yes, I had a go, and yes it was great fun. A good few hundred-people turned up to watch, Stan’s son was good, and enjoyed himself greatly.

However, at no point did anyone ever suggest, ‘you know, we should make this into a game’…

Or, ‘you know what, I am going home to play racing cars on my PC’…

Not once.

Maybe I should contact iracing…

Anyway, Matt, lovely to chat and debate with someone from the colonies, always a pleasure.

Now where did I leave my top-hat…

A) Pretty much every racing series is in decline. We shouldn't have an F1 game then, I suppose. No one likes that anymore, right? - literally every problem described is the same problem every series is facing now.

B) Using the logic of "no one's done it so there must not be any demand"... Here is a total exaggeration, but just think - cavemen didn't "invent fire" because they had been used to being frozen blocks of miserableness. :roflmao:

On top of that, we get plenty of things no one asked for. Hell, iRacing has a Kia...

The saying "build it and they will come" is fantastic, you know.

C) No one asked for a game because one never existed. At the same time, the dirt oval communities are still among the most active within titles like rFactor and NR03. Why are they active despite the game totally not supporting crucial features?

D) Every car ends up with it's core group. That is how iRacing will always work because iRacing is at it's core competitive only for 48 out of 52 weeks. People may enjoy the car, but are running something else that "demands" their sim time for one reason or another. However again, the Porsche has been incredibly popular

Nowhere did I say that everyone is going to rush out and get iRacing, but the point is there is a substantial base that has not been tapped. I can guarantee you that dirt oval racing will be far bigger to iRacing than any European car or circuit not already in iRacing that "iRacing needs because they need to expand internationally". It is absolutely a "CATER TO ME!" concept you have there.

So you think iRacing so desperately needs to cater to everyone else, what is the ticket feature / content wise? What is needed that iRacing can actually deliver?

What the Nordschleife, Le Mans, Porsche and Ferrari were for road racing, dirt is the same for oval. The 4 of those have been in development alongside dirt, with Ferrari likely coming after dirt, but likely still legitimately this year. We get toys, they get toys, everyone is happy.

I know I know - rain and day night - rain is part of the whole new surface model work that Dirt is basically a "phase 2" project of, and day night transitions is something DX9 - which is being fully dropped this coming build - was holding back.

And I'll also say, if they are to be taken at their word on what they have said, Dirt has done the best thing for the physics they've ever done already. They've said the work on dirt is partly why they have a new tire construction for the Porsche, which is the first car in iRacing's NTM that doesn't suffer from the megaquick tire overheat issues, and thusly is far more composed at the limit than anything else.We'll see as apparently 14 cars are getting the "new" tires here in a week or so.

Racing is a contact sport, if it weren't we wouldn't have any need to build cars with roll cages and crash protection as a primary design concept. Also, we're talking short tracks here - if you aren't making contact you haven't tried. Yes, this does apply to iRacing as well. Contact is fine and expected, it's wrecking people that is not.

Swearing may not be allowed, but it's going to happen anyways the same as it does in any game. Most people don't even care, it's only those who abuse it who ended up with their voice chat removed. :roflmao:

Protesting is just the more official way of revenge, rather than sitting on the track waiting to wreck the guy like the pubs do in the other games. Whoopdeedo.

And I'm not even a dirt guy. (well, besides sprint cars which I know no one will drive those as they will be challenging)

Last edited:
@Timmy UK

I think you may be surprised how popular dirt oval racing actually is on a global scale- it's not just a USofA discipline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dirt_track_ovals_in_Australia

I come from South Africa, and I have been to a number of dirt ovals while I lived there. I found that there was always a good following at these events.
Here is a list of dirt oval tracks in SA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dirt_track_ovals_in_South_Africa
There are actually more dirt oval tracks than there are asphalt circuit racing tracks. Added to this is the frequency of the races on dirt ovals is much more frequent than it is for asphalt circuit races, which would suggest that the following for dirt oval would be greater than it is for road circuit, which is something that goes against popular belief.

Don't get me wrong I am definitely more of an asphalt circuit kind of guy but I think you are highly underestimating the popularity of dirt oval racing on a global scale. And, don't forget that this is just the start for iRacing in this new genre as their plan is implement autocross after dirt oval and that is also a really large untapped market within the "sim racing" community... I don't consider Dirt 3 a sim.

I don't believe this is a dumb move on iRacing's part.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back