Vista/Windows 7

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Bobs Track Builder requires Windows XP - I do not support Vista or Windows 7.

Although some people are successfully running BTB under Vista/Win7 I do not officially support it since I have not tested BTB under either of those operating systems. This is starting to change now as I now have Win7 x64, but it's early days and I need more testing under this operating system before I can officially support it.

If you do wish to persist with Vista/Win7 then you do so at your own risk. Make sure everything is "Run as Admininstrator"; that includes the HID.exe that is used to generate your HardwareId.txt. Better still, right-click on the icon, go to Properties, select the Compatability tab and tick the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox (at least this is what I see under Win7).

Remove all USB drives and reboot before running the HID.exe.

Some Vista/Win7 users report that their HardwareId number changes after a reboot and that only rebooting again will get the BTB license working again.

"No support" means I do not assist those with problems under Vista/Win7. These threads are your only means of support. People that email me will be directed here.

If you wish to move your license to a machine running XP you will need to wait until your license has expired, then generate and upload a new one on your XP machine.

The good news is that with the next beta version I am attempting to make sure BTB works properly under Windows 7. Fingers crossed!

• biggreen96

I got to thinking about it and it pissed me off more that this silly system of ant-piracy would do this.

Then after I ate breakfast it hit me.
DOH, I bet I know how to get this to work without doing what I did.

Heres the deal:

In order to get BTB to work under Win 7 you need to do this.

Download the new XP mode for Windows 7 here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Grab the XP mode d/l first and install it, then grab the WVPC d/l and install it.
Reboot, then run it. It'll take a bit for it to setup. Once that's done run Windows update from within XP mode " NOT from 7 "
Run update again, then you should be set except for DX Websetup. Grab that here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Install BTB, now it will work just fine.
You will have to move over your license to this new install on the REAL Vdrive it resides at.

You also need to move over all your Xpacks and your project folder.

When I say reboot, I mean inside XP NOT 7

Man, I cant get over how much of a turd XP is. It's been a long time since I have run it.

Anyway, there you go. Permanent fix for the problem.

Heyo I run Win 7 Ultimate x64 and stepped through these instructions to no avail. (I'm trying to run the demo)

It installs, but when executed it throws what seems to be a directX error but continues to load xpack and BTB. When I try to create a new track from the file menu it crashes and quits.

Any insight is appreciated.

I had installed the VM and the XP mode, and the DirectX updates in W7 but when I open BTB give that message.

23101194.jpg

Question:

I have the BTB Pro demo, and I am about to purchase the license but i want to know if to get it working for me (I run Vista 32bit Home Premium) do I need to run the .exe file that generates the license in XP Compatibility mode?

• gunjaman

i also keep having the same probs with licensing, and i have come to the conclusion that brendon pywell is a clever bloke who takes very little money from people like myself for a fantastic program that is so easy to use with little effort effort, and i cant wait for brendons next fix update release of BTB. Its flying of the fan in all direction. Good luck to you & me.

This advice will go a long way:
Never make a post when you are emotional. Unless you want to be beat up, I wouldn't walk into someone's house and start hurling insults. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Once you post out of anger the damage is done. I wouldn't be surprised if a BTB loyalist tears you a new one, and your post turns unto a flame war.
As much as I despise the current system, there is nothing I can do to change it. I've already politely voiced my opinion. The most logical argument wouldn't change a determined mind.
The program is not even to version 1.0. You should feel lucky to get to use BTB before it is fully finished.
Faulty premise, faulty conclusions.
How is clearly stating that he doesn't support an OS he doesn't own being smug?
Who is hiding? You obviously found the forum, as did the rest of us.
Since most of us here already own BTB I doubt your rage-induced-boycott will gain any strength here.

Wow - I'd just like to point out, BTB is one of the most powerful and user friendly level building tools i've ever had the pleasure of using. Brenden's tutorial videos and constant attention to informing people of what BTB can do go far beyond what you'll see from even high-end software companies with multimillion dollar studios. Until now, track building has been something you only get to do if you're willing to put in countless hours in 3DStudio for a very few select games, or just work at a company making a racing game. BTB blows it open wide for racing game enthusiasts and Brenden has my undying respect for being the one to do it. I even catch myself muttering in an Australian accent while i'm laying out tracks and terrain; it's totally under my skin. BTB is amazing and only a damn fool would say otherwise.

i also keep having the same probs with licensing, and i have come to the conclusion that brendon pywell is a scammer who takes money from gullable people like myself for half baked programs that are just not worth the effort, and i suggest brendon gets off his arse fix the bull**** probs and release a workable update or give money back, instead of hiding in this forum site so as to avoid answering unhappy purchases of BTB, and brendon dont be so smug telling ie (i dont support vista or win7) what you dont support is your own program.......... its only the income you support, perhaps with yhe profit you have made try updateing your own pc and windows software. I recommend nobody buys BTB until bp gets it working properly. signed unhappy customer
I bought a 4x4 but when I went fishing it sank, maybe I should have read what its compatible with or waited for it to become a boat.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 6.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 312 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 445 39.6%