F1 2010 Viewing custom helmet design

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi folks!

It's any way to view a custom helmet texture in 3D without loading the game? I mean it's pretty annoying to load the game for every small change in design. I'm thinking at some program, 3D editing program, where we can load the helmet model and the apply the custom texture. It's possible?!

I asked a similar question some time ago, no one seemed willing or capable of making an application dedicated to the purpose. it would be nice if such a thing was available for blender3d though, in some form of plugin.

Too bad. Today i've discovered that I have to actualy quit the game, copy the new texture, launch the game back and after that enter in TT or career to see the changes. It's way too complicated. I've tryed to bypass the quit and relaunch procedure and just copy the new texture when I'm in padok, but no succes. And with my PC I think I must stick with the designs from RD and stop dreaming of my own helmet.

Hi David.

Must stick with the helmets from RD?

Our helmets arn't that bad are they?

You can bypass the re-start game option.

Just quit out to paddock area, reload the textures, the re-enter the game.

I would suggest loading the helmet into a driver slot like for example Petrov.

Go into a race, not time trial, pick Brasil as from the start line you run directly under the cameras on the start finish line ( good view to see what you have done).

Quit back out to paddock, reload new adjusted textures again and enter back to race, just press continue, then repeat til finished.

Thats all I do.

Once finished you can rename the helmet file back to whatever you want and save.

But don't forget to reinstall the driver you have changed too.

Hope that helps a little.

Hi,

don't get my wrong. I don't say the RD helmets are bad. I just hoped to have my one helmet with my fingerprint on it, my design, my style. In fact, right now I'm driving with the RD Monaco helmet, so it should say enough about my opinion regarding your work. :tongue:

Ok... Back to the main subject.

I will try this today. But... Yesterday I've tried to quit to paddock, copy the new texture (for me, not for an AI driver, I admit), and get back in race (also, I have to admit it was TT not GP) and doesn't worked. I hope your method it will work for me too.

Thanks for advice! I will keep you posted with my progress.

Hi David.

I would suggest loading the helmet into a driver slot like for example Petrov.

Go into a race, not time trial, pick Brasil as from the start line you run directly under the cameras on the start finish line ( good view to see what you have done).

Quit back out to paddock, reload new adjusted textures again and enter back to race, just press continue, then repeat til finished.

Thats all I do.

Once finished you can rename the helmet file back to whatever you want and save.

But don't forget to reinstall the driver you have changed too.

Hope that helps a little.

it's not a question of them being bad, I have browsed the custom designs section and have found some extremely good designs.

the thing with helmet designs though, is that they are the one area where the driver gets to be totally personal and let his creativity flow. the same is with gamers, each gamer has an idea of what he/she wants from a personal design, and if they could do it, they would.

the method you suggested for checking in-game is still too much of a drawn out process, it's just too much effort to check changes made.

the more efficient method by far is the one allowing the player to view the design externally, either by using a purposely created application, no matter how simplistic it is, or to allow the import of the helmet shape and texture into a 3d application such as 3DS MAX or blender3d.

I used the latter method to good effect in GP3 & GP4. the benefit those games had over F1 2010, is that the template was much more easy to figure out due to the nature of its layout.

It may well be too drawn out, I agree, but at present it is the only way to check out what you are doing at the moment.

I have yet to be able to render the helmets in 3ds, maya, blender 3dsimed or any other software I care to throw at it.

So I just tend to work on my designs in CS5 and then take it into game to have a look.

I do tend to understand the helmet layout a little now, so tend to work to a routine that works for me with what I have available at this moment.

I can get a design into game and be looking at it, within 90 secs of me saving it from CS5, so it isn't too bad, not a lot slower than taking a car design into 3dsimed to look at.

If there is another more simplistic solution....I'm all ears.

it's not a question of them being bad, I have browsed the custom designs section and have found some extremely good designs.

the thing with helmet designs though, is that they are the one area where the driver gets to be totally personal and let his creativity flow. the same is with gamers, each gamer has an idea of what he/she wants from a personal design, and if they could do it, they would.

the method you suggested for checking in-game is still too much of a drawn out process, it's just too much effort to check changes made.

the more efficient method by far is the one allowing the player to view the design externally, either by using a purposely created application, no matter how simplistic it is, or to allow the import of the helmet shape and texture into a 3d application such as 3DS MAX or blender3d.

I used the latter method to good effect in GP3 & GP4. the benefit those games had over F1 2010, is that the template was much more easy to figure out due to the nature of its layout.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 320 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 164 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 280 13.5%