Video Recording

Mind sharing how you record with it? The link provided just states that you are able to access it via SDK?
You need to download OBS Studio (Multiplatform) which you can get here.

I would then suggest to watch this YouTube video which pretty much explains how it all works, this should tell you all you need to know.

Any specific questions give me a shout.

I think AMD cards also come with Raptr which is like shadowplay I think. I know it automatically records my gameplay. Unfortunately this has taken a toll on my storage and I only have 1tb left of 6tb

Any specific questions give me a shout.
Is there no VCE codec available?
Would love to use it with DxTory but seems like AMD doesn't want that.

Guess they have to force us to use Raptr somehow :D
(Will give OBS a try tho, as it seems to be the only way to record without using Raptr)

There did used to be a codec which would work with DxTory I used it myself however support for it was discontinued and it no longer works.

OBS is the free open source solution to recording using AMD's VCE technology however there are paid solutions that have built in support and are simple to setup and get working, Mirillis is one which if I were to go for a paid solution is probably the one I would choose or D3DGear, they both have free trials so maybe something you want to try out.

Hope this helps anyway.

I think AMD cards also come with Raptr which is like shadowplay I think. I know it automatically records my gameplay. Unfortunately this has taken a toll on my storage and I only have 1tb left of 6tb
Isn't Raptr only able to record highlights now rather than a full session of gaming?

Also as I recall it did have issues with video and audio running out of synch with each other, these are the two reasons I stopped installing it with driver updates and using it.

Ya, i was on the openvfw (or similar) codec page saying it isn't working anymore with the new AMD drivers :)
Not a fan of Milillis but will definitely check out D3DGear, seems that's a powerful little tool and if it supports VCE that's a win/win for me then.
Guess i can drop another 30$ on recording software :)

With the latest AMD driver update, I get higher framerates and smoother on screen video.
I didn't see any of the stuttering you see in the video.
Surprised me. Look at the framerates I was getting with 1 video card.
And look at the temperature??? (54C) For an AMD card? My card ran up to 104*C in this game before I installed the latest drivers. (HD6970 or GTX 570 equivalent)
I was 1) trying to see if the pCars was playable 2) why my wheel rotation had 30 degrees of rotation, each way, and trying to drive that way. It was sooo hard to drive. pCars sure has a different feel to it. But very similar times to Raceroom.

Cadillac ATSVR GT3 @ Monza.
Played at 5760x1080 resolution.
Desktop recording of center monitor with Bandicam (youtube preset).
Edited using Windows Movie Maker.
While driving, on screen was crystal clear - perfect! No stutter, no lag, no jagged lines.
The recording looked great - except the stutter.
Moviemaker is horrible!

Yes...that is 15-25 fps. No audio. I had just updated my Bandicam and they changed how the audio works so you can remove Teamspeak or skype audio. I didn't know how it worked.

Last edited:
Having bought a new PC, I've just switched from Raptr to Shadowplay. Raptr DOES still record manually (not highlights only), I can probably help people set that up from memory if anyone needs it.
Honestly If you have shadowplay or Raptr available then I really don't see any need to use any other programs for recording. They use less resources than dxtory or fraps (barely notice a decrease in frames) and the quality is excellent. If I had to pick a flaw with each of them, recording voice over game audio on Shadowplay isn't great, I need to try and find some audio settings, and Raptr only records at a maximum bit rate of 50,000kbps, but that is more than enough for great quality video. Shadowplay goes much higher but I find that I still only run it on 60,000.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back