1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Cards

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Larry Stovall, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Am preparing to purchase a new video card for my computer and am eying multiple cards in the approximately $200 price range.

I know almost nothing about video cards, though, and the last time the computer guy in town recommended one, it turned out to be worse, in some ways, than the one I had.

So if anyone here could tell me what they think of the ones I'm looking at, I'd deeply appreciate it.

Choices so far:

Choice #1

Choice #2

Stats wise, either would be an significant improvement over the 8400 GS I have now, I think. But I don't wanna spend $200 bucks and then wind up wishing I'd got a better card for the same amount of money.;)
  2. When in doubt I always look to toms hardware to see what is what on graphics cards. That being said, have a look here.
    You will notice that it is broken down to different price ranges and at the back you will see a graphics card hierarchy chart to show you top down best to worst with nVidia on the left and ATI on the right.
  3. We were saying it last year but I think it is truer now: Graphics cards are due for a price drop.

As much as it hurts I would wait.
  4. I have the saphire 6850......

It's cool, quiet and only requires one 6 pin plug.
    I bought it to replace a slightly faulty 4850 and it absolutely slays it....I think it's somewhere between 80-90% faster.

pcars looks awesome on it, as do F1 2011/Dirt2/3 etc.

I use it to power my 26in 1080p PC LCD and my 37in HDTV.....

What CPU/ram/OS do you have?
  5. If a 7950 can drop to 6970 prices by yrs end, that will be my next GPU....