1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

Video Cards

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Larry Stovall, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Larry Stovall

Larry Stovall

Ratings:
    +0
    Am preparing to purchase a new video card for my computer and am eying multiple cards in the approximately $200 price range.

I know almost nothing about video cards, though, and the last time the computer guy in town recommended one, it turned out to be worse, in some ways, than the one I had.

So if anyone here could tell me what they think of the ones I'm looking at, I'd deeply appreciate it.

Choices so far:

Choice #1

Choice #2

Stats wise, either would be an significant improvement over the 8400 GS I have now, I think. But I don't wanna spend $200 bucks and then wind up wishing I'd got a better card for the same amount of money.;)

2. Jim Cole

Jim Cole
    Premium

Ratings:
    +122
    When in doubt I always look to toms hardware to see what is what on graphics cards. That being said, have a look here.
    You will notice that it is broken down to different price ranges and at the back you will see a graphics card hierarchy chart to show you top down best to worst with nVidia on the left and ATI on the right.

3. glight

glight

Ratings:
    +146
    We were saying it last year but I think it is truer now: Graphics cards are due for a price drop.

As much as it hurts I would wait.

4. David Ignjatovic

David Ignjatovic

Ratings:
    +480
    I have the saphire 6850......

It's cool, quiet and only requires one 6 pin plug.
    I bought it to replace a slightly faulty 4850 and it absolutely slays it....I think it's somewhere between 80-90% faster.

pcars looks awesome on it, as do F1 2011/Dirt2/3 etc.

I use it to power my 26in 1080p PC LCD and my 37in HDTV.....

What CPU/ram/OS do you have?

5. David Ignjatovic

David Ignjatovic

Ratings:
    +480
    If a 7950 can drop to 6970 prices by yrs end, that will be my next GPU....