Vettel Wins German Grand Prix

RaceDepartment

Administrator
Staff

Sebastian Vettel broke his duck at the German Grand Prix to stretch his commanding lead at the top of the championship.

The 26-year-old had never tasted success in his home race and, bizarrely, had never landed a victory in July in 12 previous attempts but held off a strong finish from Kimi Raikkonen at the Nurburgring to end that run.

It was Vettel’s 30th win of his F1 career and he now leads Fernando Alonso, who had to settle for fourth behind third-placed Romain Grosjean, by 34 points.

‘It’s unbelievable’, he said afterwards. ‘I am very, very happy. Kimi was pushing very close in the end but I was pushing in every lap except from the ones with the safety car.

‘I enjoyed today and I could feel Kimi coming and it was quite close with Romain too but we recovered and I am very happy the race ended after 60 laps and not 61 or 62 laps.’

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton started in pole but lost the lead on the first corner and finished in fifth place, with Jenson Button one place behind in his McLaren.

There was drama at the start of the race as a tyre came loose from the back of Mark Webber’s Red Bull and struck a cameraman in the pit-lane.

Following treatment the cameraman, Paul Allen, is understood to have suffered no serious injuries, although he is currently in Koblenz hospital under observation.

The safety car was then needed on lap 25 as Jules Bianchi’s abandoned unmanned Marusia car rolled across the track.
View the Post on the Blog

Vettel absolutely bossed this race. I think it was one of his best victories in his career. Shame for Webber though. There was a chance that he might have jumped Vettel in the pit stops had his crew not messed up his stop.

Loved this race - I was glued to the TV for every lap. I really think Kimi would have been better off with a new set of mediums to chase down Vettel rather than used softs with 6+ laps on them. And I really think Webber's success on this track would have made him a factor in the end had it not been for that dreadful first pit stop.

Two great races in a row - can we go for three at Spa?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%