Vettel / Hamilton War of Words Post Baku Contact Continues

There was so much more race-watching experience to have with the other motorsport events over the weekend like the RD 24h LeMans, MotoGP, IndyCar, WTCC. Who cares about F1, the pinnacle of boredom and exaggerated self esteem.

Have you been watching this season man? This race was anything but boring. Overall, this season has been one of the most exciting in recent memory. Even in the "good ol' days" people keep confabulating about, only two teams ever seriously had a shot at winning per year. The midfield is also closer than ever. Literally every team can conceivably score points. Most years I think F2 (GP2) has way more exciting on track action than F1, but this year it's pretty close.

Vettel should have gotten a black flag for intentionally hitting Hamilton to the point that his car bounced off. Entertainment or not. It's not acceptable behavior. Hamilton might be a sore loser but there's nothing worse than a loser that vents on everyone when things aren't going their way.

The safety car was still out. Hamilton controls the pace and Vettel refuses to accept that he got caught off guard thinking Hamilton was going to bury it coming out of the corner.

I understand where you are coming from, but cmon, the force he hits Hamilton was enough to bounce his car off the ground, there's no way a 4time world champion can make THAT big of an error of placement, first off there the angle of steering, but also how fast the steering angle was applied, there's no way it wasn't intentional.

The fact he repeatedly ignored to answer or even acknowledge that this side contact even happened tells everything. A cowards actions and a cowards words.

In terms of the penalty, if he can't even admit he did it, and that it was wrong, he most definitely should be getting banned for a race or two. What kind of message does it send when the peak of motorsport allows intentional wrecking, when if you did what Vettel did at a local kart track they'd throw you out quicker than you can say "but he brake tested me" with a foot up your ass for good measure.

Oh don't get me wrong I am not defending his actions. I was just coming up with some possible theories/factors that could have taken place. Regarding admitting his mistake, I will revert back to the analogy of football i used in the post. But who knows, come Austria If he is still defiant and disregarding of the contact between he and Hamilton then i will lose a bit of respect for him.

These past years for me have been not fun as an F1 fan. My Favourite drivers just happen to be Rosberg, Hamilton and Vettel. After what happened between Rosberg and Hamilton i was hoping not go through that again this year. But *sigh* it looks to be going that way. However I think if Vettel comes out publicly and apologies, sorts things out with Lewis then we might have a clean respectful championship again. But the media definitely does net help... Whilst it is great we have it for our News and Entertainment its a fickle business that disregards morals/bias when reporting. But this is something that has existed for a long time... And its never going away.

Lewis should not have blatantly brake checked thew whole field, and Vettel should not come along side and hit him. Is the penalty Vettel received justified? Yes. Should Lewis, or any other driver be told to not slow up suddenly? Yes.

I answered Yes and I think Vettel quite overreacted by ramming his car into Hamilton's, it was a dumb/stupid move.

But Hamilton wasn't blameless and should have been penalized too. He didn't brake test but he didn't throttle up either and was leaving quite a gap between him and the safety car.

This race was by far the most entertaining race to watch.

Can Hamilton and Vettel fans look past their support and give and unbiased opinion? very unlikely.
I belive its all part of racing no major damage was done but not owning or acknowledging your actions is bad

Vettel should own it and explain he was angry and lost it or whatever he's reason and lets move on. Based on he's denial of the side contact, he did not learn what was wrong and should have a stiffer punishment.

The poll result will be fan boy based...even after telemetry says there was no brake test people still belive he brake test?

Why is this such a big deal? He bumped his tire.....who cares .......have we already forgotten Senna vs Prost or The Shumi years.......Micheal stopping his car in the middle of the road in Monaco to end Alonso's pole lap..lol And so many other rivalries .........Juan Pablo vs everyone on track. Its near endless. Vettel Taps a front tire and its the story of the decade.....come on...

Ok this is what happened... dont blame if you dont like it...

Ill be honest, i still think its a boring track, however it was a good race... what spoiled it was Vettle throwing his dummy out of the pram... i tell you why...

2nd restart, LH goes round the corner at constant slow speed, not touching his brakes to build gap to the safety car (hes entitled to) then SV comes along up his arse LH as he wants a good run at LH, not relising the speed difference and nudges LH.

SV gets upset thinking he got braked checked by LH, which infact he did not... then what makes it worse SV drives along LH waving and pointing like a gorilla not relising that he lost control of the car and nudges LH, basically he and they messed up both of there races.

And then in the aftermath, SV wont admit i actually lost my temper and got it wrong, and then you see LH saying hes a nutter and i want to move on to the next round...

Can you see the difference...one is uptight and irate and the other is calm and understands the situation..

Im a big MS and LH fan, i do like SV but to be honest he does not show himself in good light...

Remember when SV was at RBR no one challenged him, the car was in a league of its own.. now LH and MS had and have challenges from there teammates and other drivers when winning there championship, do not forget LH beat NR twice to the championship and the last one was just bad luck for LH...

SV has won 4 championships with one team, now LH and MS have won championships with 2 different teams... who is a better driver, who is better to be patient and understand people and technology to extract the most....

OK rant over, thats my 2 cents.. Congrats to Ricardo, Bottas and Stroll... very lucky result for all 3...

So much bias and unwarranted hostility in this thread - and towards F1 in general on this board. I always wonder, do these folks only watch it week after week so they can slag it online?

I thoroughly enjoyed that race weekend Fri-Sun. :thumbsup: Anyone who calls that a boring race didn't watch it, doesn't understand racing, or is taking the piss. :p

I was gonna go for a short version but the need to rant got me. I'll try to be as impartial as possible but still, apologies if there's any bias :)

What Hamilton did was not cool. It is on the rulebook, yes, that the lead car controls the pace after a SC goes lights out. It is also true, from the sporting regulations, article 27.4, that "at no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person". Hamilton has played this tactic many times, today it caught someone out. I do firmly believe he wasn't trying to have Vettel ram into him, rather just unsettle his cool to get a jump start, as he did on the 1st restart. It's one of many, let's call them "mind tricks" that he does. He did them with Rosberg, he'll do them with Vettel. That unnecessary slowing down of the car deserved a penalty, in my opinion, a drive through.

HOWEVER, what Vettel did is just, well to put it lightly just plain idiotic. He didn't bump into him on purpose, he got alongside him and LET GO off the wheel to wave hands at him, italian style. It's that letting go off the wheel that causes the car to bump. To me this is even more serious, because the guy actually gave up control of the car in order to vent his frustration, during an actual race! I've been a tifoso all my life and I had a soft spot for Vettel from the start, but on Sunday, he deserved the black flag. Simple. You do stupid things, you endanger others, you get a DQ. That is it.

What's funny is that if he hadn't done that, he'd have won, provided that Hamilton's headrest was going to fail anyway. He might have even been able to raise a claim with Whiting and possibly got Hamilton a reprimand at least. Right now, as a Ferrari fan since birth, I am angry at Hamilton, yes, but utterly livid at Vettel.

Good stuff to see Vettel going against Hamilton's car after the brake check. That is what awards life to the sport.

Although F1 needs to do better in awarding penalties. Hitting another car at 50kph (remember we are talking about safety bubbles here) is anything but dangerous.

Good stuff for the championship.

The piquet punch was gold, that's what Vettel should have and would have done in the good ole days, decking Hamilton, now I'm excited.can I do it, pleeeeeeese.

PC do gooders are the worst problem society has. Gone way too far.

Personally, I was hoping Vettel would have a go at Hamilton in the garage area. I wanted an old school A.J. Foyt / Arie Luyendyk fist fight, with Brundle's head exploding and the FOM blacking out coverage. NOW we have something! A ratings bonanza...on you tube. :laugh: But no, apparently Vettel wants to stay in F1. Darn. :barefoot:

Actually, I'd trade all of them for this guy, who said:

"It was probably the most dangerous part of the race when we restart," Sainz explained. "The leaders were waiting up until the safety car line to start and at the same time they were going fast and slow. For the guys at the back we are still in the corners when they going fast, slow, there's walls and we cannot see through them. So suddenly we are going flat-out sixth, seventh gear and they were braking again. For me, a bit on the dangerous side."

Last edited:
I didn't bother watching the farce, as the MotoGP round at Assen was my priority.
Excellent racing and should be an object lesson to Hamilton and Vettel in sportsmanship.
Caught the 'incident' on the World News and I think both should have been penalised.
Bloody Muppets!
:ninja:

Sorry guys, but everyone is being too much pathetic :roflmao::roflmao: Yes, the 10 second penalty was fair.
But talking about road rage, DQ's for everyone, bad example for young kids?? bla bla bla... THERE WERE AT 50KPH !!! in a racing track with racing cars that can crash at 300 or plus kph! Come on guys!

Its 1000x times more dangers go walk the dog in the park :laugh:

My opinion is that Vettel misjudged the situation a bit, and in the heat of the moment he give a bit of atittute to Hamilton! Its racing, t is revalirity, and that's I want for f1, not some princesses sport like it as been in the last year's.

I find some comment hilarious, Vettel did not turn into Hamilton intentionally. He had one hand up and was looking in the direction of Hamilton, mmmm what could happen ? don't we go into the direction of our sight ? isn't one of the warnings we get when we pass our driving license ? to be carefull not to look at upcomming cars because we risk to turn in unintentionally. So Vettel is responsible for it, but in no way he meant to do that on purpose. I don't see how that's "dangerous driving"... are they serious ?! meanwhile Bottas gets nothing for destroying Kimi's car...

Mercedes the team you can't give penalties too...

Nobody finds it weird that vettel gets a penatly seconds after Hamilton is forced to pit ? no ? that doesn't bother anyone :s.

Last but not least, enjoy this beautiful picture of hamilton braking (while it was said by the FIA that he didn't brake). http://kep.cdn.indexvas.hu/1/0/1763/17635/176356/17635650_11baec781a0a37d2362d7e4ddbe62074_wm.png

A 'disgrace" was that ridiculous Hamilton team radio asking Mercedes to slow down Bottas to trap Vettel so he could overtake him :thumbsdown:. Good that Merc pit crew ignored him.
Vettel reaction has been definitely a disgrace for the standards of modern F1, but it's time for F1 marshalls to stop tolerating Hamilton's driving jokes when he's ahead of another car (last one was Abu Dhabi 2016).

Last edited:
Vettel can be lucky not to have seen the black flag. The telemetry shows that Hamilton did not brake check him and that he slowed down at this section before.

Germany now has two champs who won several titles but acted a bit weird from time to time. :unsure:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 128 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 472 39.0%