Verstappen, the new Senna?

Grand Tourist

Enjoying the beautiful world of Assetto Corsa
Watch how Max Verstappen finds the grip on a soaked Brazil GP circuit and outclasses every other F1 pilot on the track, overtaking the field not once, but twice!! True talent, true bravery, a natural. Reminds me of Senna in Monaco. Talking about the driving and the talent, not the charisma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Non of the above choices.
Max has a lot of talent, but still needs one or two years to evolve fully.
The press is lyrical, the Brazilians shouted "Senna, Senna", when Max went on the podium.
The bad edges have to be shaved off. After that, the F1- and in particular the Dutch/Belgian fans have really something to cheer about the coming years. He is a raw diamond.

The press is lyrical, the Brazilians shouted "Senna, Senna", when Max went on the podium.
The bad edges have to be shaved off. After that, the F1- and in particular the Dutch/Belgian fans have really something to cheer about the coming years. He is a raw diamond.
I am betting on Stoffel Vandoorn, but I like Verstappen's flair.

I hope the McLaren is a much better car than this year. Because if not: Alonso won't pull another chance less year. And then Stoffel would be the driver without an experienced driver next to him.

Let me put a quote here of one of our members of the-fastlane.co.uk forum

Everso Biggyballies said:
Somewhat ironic that the 'self proclaimed Senna 2016 version' who wears a Senna modelled helmet is no longer mentioned in the same breath as Ayrton by noted F1 pundits with Berger, whose relationship with Senna was so close, saying Max is showing a style and performances akin to the legendary Brazilian.... who who lets not forget was gone 3 years before Max was even born! Berger has also said in an accolade rarely seen (and so much more credible from someone like him) who agrees that comparisons between the legendary Ayrton Senna and F1 teen sensation Max Verstappen are appropriate.
Gerhard Berger said:
"Yes, when I see Max, Senna comes to my mind," Berger admitted.

"This is the first time I say something like this, because I was really close to Ayrton and I think he was the greatest.

"In his personality, his driving, his results, his preparation. He was different to everyone.

"I've always respected that and so I avoided comparisons, but with Max it's hard not to," he said.

Referring to Verstappen's performance at Interlagos, Berger said: "It was awesome.

"He was always trying new lines, even behind the safety car he was studying the circuit. Engineers from other teams were even telling their drivers to imitate him.

"He knew exactly what to do, and it's amazing at his age. He sought and found impossible lines, making the others look like schoolboys. His control of the car, as he saw in the incident on the straight was crazy," he added.

As for Verstappen's critics, who say the Red Bull driver is too arrogant, Berger insisted: "Someone like him can afford it."
I dont say this to be unkind to Lewis.... after all he does have a supreme and undeniable talent, but his days of Senna comparisons are perhaps waning as Max improves. Perhaps the level of dominance the Mercedes now provide the two (Merc) drivers have reduced their own personal performances to being more car than driver, the cars enabling Nico and Lewis to (as Lewis said on his Brazil win) cruise to their results.

I know Lewis and Nico were nursing more worn tyres, but Max on new tyres outperformed his equally tyred teamate Danny Ric by a margin in his climb from 16th to 3rd. In the same time give or take a lap, Danny 'only' managed to climb from 11th to 8th.

Impossible to compare so not going to try - 1988 f1 is a different sport to 2016 f1.

But,
mv clearly has a dedication to this sport which is remarkable.
Safe bet -- a lengthy career ahead.

very interested to see what happens in 2017; who the best drivers are will be more apparent.

Not this either,

what Max really needs before he fully evolve is quite some more retirements and a few more crashes (learn from mistakes) and he needs to be winning and losing more in race weekends.
e.g. Brasil he had to pit for Inters i would have expected him to say NO it is too wet out there (i know that's what she said) so that is a loss which he learns from also a talented driver like this also needs to win and lose at least 1 Championship in order to full Evolve. Not even talking about experiencing a car that is underperforming/worse then expected. And then i am very sure there will be more factors adding to this.

RBR tried to do something different when the track started to dry a bit and hoped that with the inters they would gain more and more time. Then the Massa crash caused another safety car and Daniel/Max became a victim of this decision.

And the idea of Max needing some crashes: the rules are tightened up. And since then he did not block anymore. In fact the new rules help him even more: the others can't block either.

So if radar shows heavy rain will make Full Wet conditions within 5 minutes you will sacrifices a lot of spots while being behind the safety car in order to stop again 3 laps later losing the same ammount of time and places?

And yes but that is also a bit of karma towards those who wanted rule changes because they couldn't keep up with max at many times.

Like Schumacher & Senna he has come in and upset some established drivers and shown his talent on a rain lashed track.
But one Swallow does not a Summer make.
He has obvious talent that is fairly evident, but using that talent to maximise any opportunity that comes his way and win multiple titles..... we will have to wait and see.
F1 history is littered with what-could-have-beens.

For now let's just enjoy Max and not worry about who or what he will be. Let him make his own history.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%