1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verstappen, the new Senna?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Sunny Sky Speed, Nov 14, 2016.

Verstappen, true talent or just guts and luck?

This poll will close on Dec 14, 2016 at 05:43.
  1. True talent, best rain driver in F1 currently.

72.0%
  2. Young and overconfident. Will outrun his luck soon.

28.0%
  1. Sunny Sky Speed

Sunny Sky Speed
    Livery Designer Premium Member

Watch how Max Verstappen finds the grip on a soaked Brazil GP circuit and outclasses every other F1 pilot on the track, overtaking the field not once, but twice!! True talent, true bravery, a natural. Reminds me of Senna in Monaco. Talking about the driving and the talent, not the charisma.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sunny Sky Speed

Sunny Sky Speed

3. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

Non of the above choices.
    Max has a lot of talent, but still needs one or two years to evolve fully.
    The press is lyrical, the Brazilians shouted "Senna, Senna", when Max went on the podium.
    The bad edges have to be shaved off. After that, the F1- and in particular the Dutch/Belgian fans have really something to cheer about the coming years. He is a raw diamond.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Sunny Sky Speed

Sunny Sky Speed

I am betting on Stoffel Vandoorn, but I like Verstappen's flair.

5. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

I hope the McLaren is a much better car than this year. Because if not: Alonso won't pull another chance less year. And then Stoffel would be the driver without an experienced driver next to him.

6. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

Let me put a quote here of one of our members of the-fastlane.co.uk forum

7. Impossible to compare so not going to try - 1988 f1 is a different sport to 2016 f1.

But,
    mv clearly has a dedication to this sport which is remarkable.
    Safe bet -- a lengthy career ahead.

very interested to see what happens in 2017; who the best drivers are will be more apparent.

8. Not this either,

what Max really needs before he fully evolve is quite some more retirements and a few more crashes (learn from mistakes) and he needs to be winning and losing more in race weekends.
    e.g. Brasil he had to pit for Inters i would have expected him to say NO it is too wet out there (i know that's what she said) so that is a loss which he learns from also a talented driver like this also needs to win and lose at least 1 Championship in order to full Evolve. Not even talking about experiencing a car that is underperforming/worse then expected. And then i am very sure there will be more factors adding to this.

9. Erwin Greven

Erwin Greven
    Premium Member

RBR tried to do something different when the track started to dry a bit and hoped that with the inters they would gain more and more time. Then the Massa crash caused another safety car and Daniel/Max became a victim of this decision.

And the idea of Max needing some crashes: the rules are tightened up. And since then he did not block anymore. In fact the new rules help him even more: the others can't block either.

10. So if radar shows heavy rain will make Full Wet conditions within 5 minutes you will sacrifices a lot of spots while being behind the safety car in order to stop again 3 laps later losing the same ammount of time and places?

And yes but that is also a bit of karma towards those who wanted rule changes because they couldn't keep up with max at many times.

11. Martin Maaskant

Martin Maaskant
    Premium Member

Neither of the choices. There are more rain masters in the field then Verstappen. Hamilton to name one. But what he did was really remarkable. I'm looking forward to some good battles with Stoffel.

12. Like Schumacher & Senna he has come in and upset some established drivers and shown his talent on a rain lashed track.
    But one Swallow does not a Summer make.
    He has obvious talent that is fairly evident, but using that talent to maximise any opportunity that comes his way and win multiple titles..... we will have to wait and see.
    F1 history is littered with what-could-have-beens.

For now let's just enjoy Max and not worry about who or what he will be. Let him make his own history.

• Agree Agree x 2