PC2 Various Project CARS 2 Previews, Interview and Pre Order Details

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Pre Order Details.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have revealed pre order details for the upcoming Project CARS 2, with plenty of content on offer for those who put down money early on the new game.

As has become tradition in the gaming industry over the years, players who choose to pre order a game in advance of the official release date will be eligible to receive various perks unavailable to those who purchase once the game is out in the public domain.

In the case of Project CARS 2, Slightly Mad Studios have confirmed the new title will ship in two special edition variants, Standard and Deluxe.

The Standard Edition includes:
  • The Full Game
  • The Japanese Car Pack, featuring
- Honda Euro Spec Civic Type-R
- Honda Project 2&4
- Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) Group A
- Nissan 280ZX IMSA GTX

Standard Edition is available for Xbox One (£49.99), PlayStation 4 (£49.99) and Windows PC (£44.99).

The Deluxe Edition Includes:
  • The Full Game
  • The Season Pass
  • The Japanese Car Pack, featuring
- Honda Euro Spec Civic Type-R
- Honda Project 2&4
- Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) Group A
- Nissan 280ZX IMSA GTX
  • The Motorsports Pack, featuring
- Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44
- Panoz Esperante GTR-1
- Audi V8 DTM
- Opel Astra TCR

Deluxe Edition is available for Xbox One (£74.99), PlayStation 4 (£74.99) and Windows PC (£69.98).

In other news Project CARS 2 Game Director Stephen Viljoen spoke recently with Nvidia about the game and what to expect come release later in the year:

Project CARS 2 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC 22nd September 2017.

Project CARS 2 - Esperante GTR-1 - 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - Esperante GTR-1.jpg
Project CARS 2 - Honda Civic Type R 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - Honda Civic Type R 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - Honda Civic Type R.jpg

The Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for all the latest news and discussion around this exciting new game from Slightly Mad Studios. Check out the sub forum, get involved in the discussion and join our community as we await release later this year!

Will you be pre ordering Project CARS 2 prior to release in September? Do you think the additional content will be worth the risk of buying before reviews surface? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It seems you just like to complain because you can....
I complain because I want change, I complain because I care... I write before that I have nothing again DLC read it again... You are the kind of customer that don't understand how this world works. I give you some examples:
1. Aliens: Colonial Marines loads of people pre-order the game based there purchase on E3 trailer the reality was game was nothing like that.
2. Duke Nukem Forever again exactly the same
3. every Battlefield game after Bad Company 2 - riddle with bugs, awful connection problems, BF3, 4, Hardline to this was not been fixed because the next title was released BF1 (which is even worst just look it up).
I can go on and on how games today are pushed without proper alpha/beta tests.
This E3 Devolver parody Early Access but looking how gamers likes to buy unfinished crap this can be a future...
watch till around from 7:42 to 9:30

Finally you should watch this video

If people want stop this I know for a fact game will get worst and worst, how do I know that? because we are already in that process.
I know it's already off topic PC2 maybe good but - day one DLC - I have to rise my voice again, sorry I will stop now.

I complain because I want change, I complain because I care... I write before that I have nothing again DLC read it again... You are the kind of customer that don't understand how this world works.

Actually, I've spent over 20 years in software development. I know exactly how this works... Probably a little more behind the scenes than most.

This is going OT, so I'll post this and then leave it....

The simple truth is people are demanding more, but wanting to pay less. This is creating the issue. Software, since it's created by humans, will have errors as it is human nature to create errors. Humans are not perfect and software only does what a human makes it do.. The other piece is that software is growing infinitely complex. To develop a complex solution properly, takes a LOT of time. Time = money. The more time it takes to develop something, the more it needs to costs to recoup the investment of making it. People don't want to wait, nor pay for perfect software. With that, publishers have a short window in which to release software to recoup their investments. This is what consumers call "titles being rushed out the door unfinished". The publishers realize that taking longer costs money, and they will not be able to increase the price of the units to compensate. Thus, the titles are rushed out the door.

Now, I'm not saying rushing titles out the door is the correct thing to do, but that is where we are at since again, people don't want to wait nor pay for perfect software. It would just be too expensive.

Having said all that, I do agree with you to a point. However, that would be outside of the racing simulation genre. I would agree with the FPS genre as that genre is essentially "rinse and repeat" with those titles being a dime a dozen. However, it wasn't that many years ago when sim races only had rFactor with literally hundreds of unfinished/promised mods waiting to never materialize (those that are familiar with the long list at RaceSimCentral). Today, we are fortunate enough to have choices in the sim racing genre which hasn't happened in over 10 years. In short, we should be supporting those devs who are continuing to develop in the sim racing genre.

For example, I dislike the physics in several sim racing titles today. However, you won't find me in every one of those titles forums bad mouthing them and comparing to what I do in real life (yes, I also race cars). Instead, I prefer to support their efforts in this genre because more competition breeds innovation. Innovation brings new offerings to us as consumers.

I wouldn't bother, he seems to think bf3/4 weren't finished. Bf4 had a rocky start, but they supported it right to the end and with the test servers nailed down any issue with connectivity. If in his mind it was left unfinished he will be never be happy.

Actually, I've spent over 20 years in software development. I know exactly how this works... Probably a little more behind the scenes than most.

The simple truth is people are demanding more, but wanting to pay less. This is creating the issue. Software, since it's created by humans, will have errors as it is human nature to create errors. Humans are not perfect and software only does what a human makes it do.. The other piece is that software is growing infinitely complex. To develop a complex solution properly, takes a LOT of time. Time = money. The more time it takes to develop something, the more it needs to costs to recoup the investment of making it. People don't want to wait, nor pay for perfect software. With that, publishers have a short window in which to release software to recoup their investments. This is what consumers call "titles being rushed out the door unfinished". The publishers realize that taking longer costs money, and they will not be able to increase the price of the units to compensate. Thus, the titles are rushed out the door.

Now, I'm not saying rushing titles out the door is the correct thing to do, but that is where we are at since again, people don't want to wait nor pay for perfect software. It would just be too expensive.

Having said all that, I do agree with you to a point. However, that would be outside of the racing simulation genre. I would agree with the FPS genre as that genre is essentially "rinse and repeat" with those titles being a dime a dozen. However, it wasn't that many years ago when sim races only had rFactor with literally hundreds of unfinished/promised mods waiting to never materialize (those that are familiar with the long list at RaceSimCentral). Today, we are fortunate enough to have choices in the sim racing genre which hasn't happened in over 10 years. In short, we should be supporting those devs who are continuing to develop in the sim racing genre.

For example, I dislike the physics in several sim racing titles today. However, you won't find me in every one of those titles forums bad mouthing them and comparing to what I do in real life (yes, I also race cars). Instead, I prefer to support their efforts in this genre because more competition breeds innovation. Innovation brings new offerings to us as consumers.
Bang on the money!

Excellent post , totally agree .

Those of us older racer gamers do appreciate how extremely detailed and complex the games of today are, compared to what we thought was fantastic way back when. I paid about $40 bucks aussie back in 1984 when Epyx released Pitstop II on my trusty ol' C64. I was a young buck in the Army posted to Darwin in the N.T. and 40 bucks was hard earned cash, cost about $15 to fill the tank of my XB Falcon.

So many hours of racing fun even waiting painful minutes for the 1541 to spinup and load the disc. And the animated pitcrew looked so lifelike :) ... to me ... the tires changing colour to red when worn just immersed me fully ... I loved it ... True story ! Then few years later Accolade released Test Drive, racing, or rather, driving perfection :geek:

So in perspective we get an obscene amount of super high quality content for peanuts, yet some still want much more for much less ... good grief ! :redface:

Last edited:
OH yea my bad, it's bonus not a DLC... Right so if I rename sh** to food is that alright with you?

This is how I imagine should work (very simplified): There is a team that do programming the physics, AI and so on, second team is artist doing texture, 3d modelling, etc. When game is near the finish, artist obviously have nothing to do, so they make cars, tracks, skins. When programming team is polishing everything.
How in the hell you can make cars without making physics and programming it's obvious they make it before and now they spiting content that's why it's unfair practice. I'm fine if they make DLC after release, anything before should be included in the game.

And I forgot about Pre-ordering games which is the most stupid thing customer can do. Paying for something you have no idea how it's looks, feels or is it even working you buying hope.

hmm not really, yes it maybe sounds like good idea but it's not how it works,

you are managing big team of artist, paying lot of money for running your company, so you make decissions about your game and try to stick to it ,

if you decided that your game will came out with 150 cars and 50 more will be DLC, and you have artists sitting iddle, it makes sense to have them work on DLC cars, rather then tyring to put them to different project

you also sign contracts with car manufacturers, and if in the contract you say that the car will be included as DLC, then it has to be DLC and it doesn't matter that it's already finished or not

people making games don't just upload their entire server with stuff and ship it with the game, and yes sometimes cars are already there and DLC will just unlock them , which was very unpopular thing in Forza, but whne you think about it, you buy DLC and you don't have to wait for download , it's already ready !! .. plus it also helps with MP racing that you will be able to see cars that you don't own , if they are already part of the game

anyhow, yes I can see that you don't like this practices, but me as former game developer DON'T see anything wrong with it

As usual: Don't preorder.
Wait until you read/watched reviews by trustworthy reviewers (maybe not IGN or paid youTubers...) and then based on what's offered decide for yourself if it's worth it and if you'll enjoy it.
Same for season pass: If all offered DLCs are for you, go and purchase it, but don't be so stupid buying a season pass if you don't even know what you'll get for your money.

When it comes to DLC in racing games it's a really problematic issue.
There aren't 250.000 people racing at any time, so the more DLCs split up the community, the less online racing will happen.
And just look at what happened to BF4: There were only stock maps hosted on servers because else the playerbase would have been to low for the maps...

Yes, Disk Locked Content feels just wrong, but at least it helps still being able to enjoy the MP part of the game. R3E does this and i still praise Overkill Software for letting people play maps in Payday2 they don't own - they can't play this map offline or host that map by themselves, but they can still play it.

I think Payday 2's system could also work in racing sims.
It's quite unlikely that there's always a server running with the track/car combo you want, many of us are offline racers anyways, but if you want to race with your friends but you don't have the content you wouldn't be left out - but you might want to buy the car / track after figuring out how much fun they are...

The big problem is that publishers are too scared of low quality of their own product - else they would have people test before they buy and just have trust in their product and that people will buy once they were able to put their hands on it.

As usual: Don't preorder.
Wait until you read/watched reviews by trustworthy reviewers (maybe not IGN or paid youTubers...) and then based on what's offered decide for yourself if it's worth it and if you'll enjoy it.
Same for season pass: If all offered DLCs are for you, go and purchase it, but don't be so stupid buying a season pass if you don't even know what you'll get for your money.

There aren't 250.000 people racing at any time, so the more DLCs split up the community, the less online racing will happen.
And just look at what happened to BF4: There were only stock maps hosted on servers because else the playerbase would have been to low for the maps...

Yes, Disk Locked Content feels just wrong, but at least it helps still being able to enjoy the MP part of the game. R3E does this and i still praise Overkill Software for letting people play maps in Payday2 they don't own - they can't play this map offline or host that map by themselves, but they can still play it.

I think Payday 2's system could also work in racing sims.
It's quite unlikely that there's always a server running with the track/car combo you want, many of us are offline racers anyways, but if you want to race with your friends but you don't have the content you wouldn't be left out - but you might want to buy the car / track after figuring out how much fun they are...

The big problem is that publishers are too scared of low quality of their own product - else they would have people test before they buy and just have trust in their product and that people will buy once they were able to put their hands on it.

I plan to pay ZERO attention to impressions or reviews this time. I'll buy it on Steam and take my 2 hours and refund it if it's the same mess it was last time. PCars 1 became pretty good IMO after a few months but was a mess for the first few months.

The way PC1 worked, everyone didn't have to own the DLC to race online. Only the host needed to own the DLC and then everyone in the lobby could use/see the DLC cars & tracks. I'm not sure if PC2 will work the same, but that's how PC1 worked to not separate the online community.

It's safe to assume that they will follow the same method. It's better for both customer and developer this way, as you said, it's very likely to get tempted to buy the DLC once you ve tried it, rather than getting gated behind a server ban just because you don't own one of the cars that race.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 89 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 98 13.9%