Vanilla Balance Mod Beta - Testers Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
This mod has now been released. All the changes are listed in the above link. If a Forum Admin is reading this, if you could remove the "Testers Wanted" and change it to "Development Discussion" thread, it would be appreciated.

UPDATED TO WORK WITH 1.3

Note: In attempts to fix the interviews and dilemmas, I have temporarily removed all non English languages from those two files. I hope to reinsert them into a later version (but when I do, they'll still be the vanilla text as I am unable to translate in any other language).

Last edited:
H
You don't.

Without seeing which engine it was leads me to believe one of three things happened:

1. Enzoli has changed the starting reliability for Magnussens starting engine and reduced it to 5%. I haven't played his mod, as I am not a big current F1 fan (I prefered the 90s more and looking forward to a historical mod one day) so I don't know if this is the case or not. I haven't changed the default parts so that's not one of my issues.

2. This was a default part engine (or is using a good developed part), which in season one would normally be somewhere between 40-70% unless Enzoli change it. The AI could have then had a dilemma; "Found a problem with Magnussen's Engine, choose -50 reliability or -£500,000". The AI chose the former, so Mag must start this race with a terrible engine. And the AI hasn't improved the reliability yet.

3. This is a newly developed part which was assigned to Mag. This has a default 40% reliability + a modifer. I assume to get it down to 5% meant that they had to choose parts which have a total of -35 reliability (in exchange for better performance). But as in point 2, the AI haven't improved reliability yet.

Both 2 and 3 could easily happen in the base game. Nothing to do with either mod, more an issue with the AI. I've not found the code which helps them derive their "What parts do we improve performance / reliability and in what ratios" so can't explain why they are choosing to ignore it for 4 races.

I've not included anything that reduces reliability (raw) further. All I did was allow the AI to choose the Designer Parts (if applicable) as they were not programmed to use them previously, and add a 10% additional redzone on components which didn't modify redzone already.

With 5% engine, I assume Mag would pit every lap the reliability dropped as that what the AI script would do. However, redzone tics are large (though random) so he can easily lose all 5% at a time, hense his consistent retirements.

I've never seen it happen before. But I actually love the idea of it happening. I don't know who Mag is driving for, but they have a really big issue with one of their engines. It's interesting to hear about how it will resolve over the course of the season
How do I change the stats of the default parts?

@TheFlamingRed I fixed my issue in the last post. I know the difference between the cars is a lot bigger to make it difficult, but in a long race cars are getting lapped much more than they would in a real race. Back markers are being lapped withing 6 or 7 laps which seems too fast to me. Back markers are lapping nearly 10 seconds slower than the cars at the front sometimes. How can this difference be reduced slightly?

@TheFlamingRed I fixed my issue in the last post. I know the difference between the cars is a lot bigger to make it difficult, but in a long race cars are getting lapped much more than they would in a real race. Back markers are being lapped withing 6 or 7 laps which seems too fast to me. Back markers are lapping nearly 10 seconds slower than the cars at the front sometimes. How can this difference be reduced slightly?

Its under the SIngleSeaterData Critical Part section if you wish to do this... However, speading the cars and therefore, having cars lapped in longer races is needed for the races to be balanced. If you make them smaller, then good players who have good strategies will be able to put their terrible cars far above the AIs - even if the AI has better cars. So I made the best/worst car gaps bigger. As such, lots of slow cars will be lapped a bit.

In most season 1 Tier 3 races, the slowests cars are lapped about 3 laps by the end of a long race. As for realism... in f1 2011... I believe that only the top 6 cars were commonly the only unlapped cars, with the lowest cars being 4 or 5 laps down most the time. I would argue that in this respect, it's not too bad.

Yep, I was getting bored of long races, as there's sometimes some 'dull time' in the middle. The first speed is actually a little bit slower then normal... second speed is the vanilla fasters speed (plus a tiny bit) and the third speed is now 10x faster then standard :) so you can really skip some laps.

I recommend the fastest speed while viewing the action in 2D - otherwise things flash by a little too fast... and move to 3D for the other two speeds. I think it flows better and will save time.

hi "TheFlamingRed", i have 1 question to u.
Do u know how can i Change the part wear during a race?
every car with 70% reliable has no Problem to drop out.
I mean every part in the red Zone cannot hold 1-2 laps!

i hope u know me and u can help me

If you or the AI are developing parts (from the stock parts) each slot will now give you a +10% redzone. This mean some parts will end up with 70% Redzone, which will have big reliability issues to contend with if you use the part during the season. As such, I don't feel there's a need to change the natural wear rates, as that would be a 'banket' and the AI would struggle too much with it.

Hello, I am one season in with your mod but was just wondering, if I import the vanilla part components text file over the modded part components, would I see that change in my current saved game and be able to continue the save without problems?

ok the +10 red Zone is nice.
i like to have more random. that from one Moment to the other Moment (Gearbox felt down from 82%-31%) the parts have issues.

Nobel, but they come down in performance on tics, and by a certain amount depending on your engine and strategy settings, +\- a bit of variation. What Redzone does is increase the variation.

If I was to give nordinary parts such huge randomness, we'd have to pit every few laps. This is because the randomness in part degrade is uniform. E.g., you're just as likely to get any instance of 0-3% loss. So instead of getting an occasional -51 wear in a gearbox at one point in the race and maybe -1 or -2 for a few other laps (which is what I think you're after), you'd end up with losing an average of -25 wear per lap.

Needless to say it's not going to work with the way it wears like it does. You'd pit in every 3-6 laps. You could race on conservative strategies to keep wear down, but the AI won't realise that and have to pit lots or retire.

It's why I went with a redzone option. Initially, I had redzone on all parts to 40%, then came up with the 'more developed, more unreliability' system with redzone +10 per component. Now, it's not all components that have a problem and will last a good race at 70% reliability. A level 3 + component with 50+% redzone will want to have closer to 100 reliability to keep them safe through a race. A Legendary Part, while awesome and will serve you well next season, will have upto 70% redzone - and needs to be managed in the race to prevent malfunction, even if you have 100% reliability.

Hello, I am one season in with your mod but was just wondering, if I import the vanilla part components text file over the modded part components, would I see that change in my current saved game and be able to continue the save without problems?

Components.txt are likely stored within the safe file. So you'll likely have to start a new game for Vanilla to take effect. Could always try it though, I've never tried to go back.

On, also stealth 1.2b update released.

Assembly now has the speed tweaks to the race fast forwards.
Assets has the increasedtimr gains / less wear on push/attack from my previous patch as a balance tweak

It isn't essential to update, it's just balance tweeks so if you are happy, keep on playing. Save games 100% compatible.

Of course, the day I do this they release a beta update. This is likely NOT compatible with the current Beta. I'll get that out in a few days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years