Van der Garde Optimistic About Caterham Improvements

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Dutch rookie Giedo Van der Garde is sure that Caterham can regain it's back-of-the-grid supremacy that it maintained in past seasons.

Caterham snatched 10th place from Marussia last year, in an epic finale to the season in Interlagos. The former Lotus team finished above bitter rivals HRT & Marussia in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

However, the Leafield based team have fallen behind rivals Marussia in both the season opener in Australia and in the second race of the season in Sepang.

Marussia's Jules Bianchi set a qualifying time 1.5 seconds faster than that of Van der Garde, and finished 1 minute ahead of the Dutchman, in Malaysia.

However, Giedo is adamant that Caterham can redeem the situation, blaming contact with Marussia's Max Chilton damaged his chances in the race.

"The car was hard to drive, especially as the tyre drop off was much higher than my team-mate because the diffuser was gone," Giedo explained, "We still managed to keep me in front of Chilton, so it was good experience."

"We know where we are at the moment, and we know in Barcelona an upgrade is coming." "Marussia has a little advantage but hopefully we can fight them."

Even though his team is not as competitive as he may have hoped, the 27 year old rookie is still pleased to be in F1.

"It's how it is at the moment," he said. "It's not an easy car [to drive] but I'm very happy."

"The team let me learn step by step, all the procedures, the way you drive, the tyres, so for me it has been good."

"It is different. [In GP2] you wait [on the grid], look in the mirror, the cars are coming, first gear and away you go. Here it is like, select neutral and the lights go on."

"The philosophy is a bit different [in F1], but it's where we are at the moment. Race by race it'll get better."

Image: PBA Online
View the Post on the Blog

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 325 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%