Valencia GP under threat

Seems you are assuming that I am worried about Europe - when in fact I am from a continent who hasn't had a race for nearly 2 decades.
Not exactly sure how that has anything to do with my post.

And your point still doesn't disprove that Bernie would rather take a host with the most money, even if it's at a cost of a host with little money, but with lots of passion for F1, e.g. my country.
Disprove it? Did you read what i wrote about that? I said that obviously Bernie will go for the person with the most money.
When there are more countries wanting to host an F1 race then there are spots in the calendar, something has to give.
And that is money.

Don't get me wrong - I actually like the Gulf races and the tracks - but in the long term they could be bad for the sport, regardless how excellent the facilities might be.
Please elaborate on this.
It seems you assume the oil countries will take over F1 completely when in reality the numbers state that Europe is still the main destination for F1 with most of the iconic tracks with loads of history.

Not exactly sure how that has anything to do with my post.

Read your own post - you state at the end 'OMG! Bernie has forgotten about Europe!' when I wasn't focussing on Europe specifically.

Disprove it? Did you read what i wrote about that? I said that obviously Bernie will go for the person with the most money.
When there are more countries wanting to host an F1 race then there are spots in the calendar, something has to give.
And that is money.

I believe he should go where the racing would be best, not places like Singapore or Monaco who can easily afford it, but makes for boring weekends on the calendar.

Please elaborate on this.
It seems you assume the oil countries will take over F1 completely when in reality the numbers state that Europe is still the main destination for F1 with most of the iconic tracks with loads of history.

There's 2 more races on the calendar than 10 years ago - that's how it starts.

And relax, if we disagree, it doesn't mean either of us are wrong.

Read your own post - you state at the end 'OMG! Bernie has forgotten about Europe!' when I wasn't focussing on Europe specifically.
That was meant as a side-joke to the oil-hysteria in your post. So not you worrying about Europe but rather you worrying about the Middle East having to many races.

I believe he should go where the racing would be best, not places like Singapore or Monaco who can easily afford it, but makes for boring weekends on the calendar.
Interesting. Could you name the tracks this year which have had good entertainment/racing?

There's 2 more races on the calendar than 10 years ago - that's how it starts.
And relax, if we disagree, it doesn't mean either of us are wrong.

True, and they had even more personnel back then. But the thing you are forgetting is the people.
Now the team personnel is even smaller and they have already complained when Bernie wanted to throw in Sakhir in December.
They work almost all year long so there´s no room for more events, something has to go before a new can come in.

Oil was only used as a reference - my point can also include any of the newer, richer countries who never before had interest in F1 before they realised they can make money out of it, e.g. Malaysia, Singapore, Austin Texas(USA) - where it's clear they don't care about F1 in particular, and China.

I can't vouch for specifically this year as I cannot watch many of the races, but Canada, Belgium, Monza, Silverstone, Nurburgring, the traditional old-school f1 circuits, except Monaco, always have many overtakes and much action.

You would never see Schumacher being able to go from 24th to 5th at Singapore.

And the last point, we are agreeing on.

Oil was only used as a reference - my point can also include any of the newer, richer countries who never before had interest in F1 before they realised they can make money out of it, e.g. Malaysia, Singapore, Austin Texas(USA) - where it's clear they don't care about F1 in particular, and China.
So you are saying that countries are building F1 tracks for billions of dollars because they dont really care about F1?
I think the reality is that these countries never had the money before to host an F1 race but now that the economy is better they can do just that.

As far as the people goes i think there´s a core group of F1 fans in any country. For mainstream you either have to get a driver from that country or you simply build a track and start history right then and there.

I can't vouch for specifically this year as I cannot watch many of the races, but Canada, Belgium, Monza, Silverstone, Nurburgring, the traditional old-school f1 circuits, except Monaco, always have many overtakes and much action.

Silverstone this year had only 7 more overtakes then Monaco. That´s including,
Moves between teammates.
Passes by faster cars on the bottom 3 teams.
All DRS overtakes.
All normal overtakes.

Montreal was the one with the most overtakes,
136 - Montreal
123 - Istanbul
97 - Shanghai
44 - Valencia

My advice to you is watch other races then just the known ones. Like Korea, the battle Webber and Hamilton had was amazing.

You would never see Schumacher being able to go from 24th to 5th at Singapore.
Really? Explain how Alonso in 2010, without DRS or KERS, went from dead last to 6th in Monaco.

10718.2.jpg

The future of the European Grand Prix in Valencia appears to be in doubt after a government official said that large events are under "full and absolute review".

Jose Ciscar, vice-president of the Valencia government, has pointed to the economic crisis in Europe as the cause of the review and even though he admits that the grand prix has a "significant value" to the cite he confirmed that he will contact Bernie Ecclestone to attempt to "renegotiate" the price of the race hosting fee.

"The big events are under full and absolute review,'' Ciscar said. ''They are not viable as they have been until now. The big events have had an important value up until now but the circumstances force us to prioritise."

Ciscar does admit, however, that cancelling the race altogether may not be a feasible option due to the penalty costs the city would incur.

source

Never understood why the didnt use the prupose built Valencia circuit - which Moto GP use - what a waste of money doing it in the marina!

They wanted to earn a lot of money turning the industrial port into a expensive residential neighbourhood with luxury marina... they even wanted to demolish the fisherman's historical part of the city, but "fortunately" the economical crisis came into scene.

Is not very well known but Spain works with "autonomous communities" which are in fact like federal states, with their own laws and funding, and in this case Valencian Comunity wanted to make a remake of "The Sting" (not the singer, the movie :D)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back