• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Using Z1 dashboard as an Overlay

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Shawn Jacobs, May 25, 2017.

1. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs
    SpeedyMite Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +788
    Morning All

Like a lot of you I have felt a bit lost with out Trackmap in DX11, tried a few tablet apps etc but couldn't find anything I liked and unfortunately don't have space for a 4th screen to use Z1 on. So to resolve this I have gone down the path of using Z1 as an overlay.

http://www.z1simwheel.com/dashboard/index.cfm

zdash overlay.JPG

To do this I took the following steps

1. RF2 must be set to windowed mode (not borderless)

windowed.JPG

2. Set up all of my dashboards where I want them on the screen

3. Set all dashboards to always on top and title bar to none
    ontop.JPG
    4. download this nifty little windows app http://www.lukepaynesoftware.com/projects/peek-through/
    This is what will enable you to set the windows to transparent, and also even more interesting you can also set them to be clicked through. I've set the keyboard command to shift F1, this is important if you decide to use my scripts which you see below.
    pt1.JPG
    pt2.JPG
    pt3.JPG
    5. Once you have got everything installed and are happy with your layout, I have created some scripts I use to open and close z1 dashboard.

link updated 26/05/17
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/80jxmfsnfeap5m7/Z1 Dashboards script.zip?dl=0

You will see in the zip file there a 6 different open VBS files, pick the one for the number of dashboards you require. eg: I am using 4 so I will run the 4 x Z1 Dashboard.

Once selected the script will open up the number of dashes defined and if you set your keyboard command to Shift F1 will also make them transparent.

Lastly when you have finished using them run the Close Z1 Dashboard and all instances of Z1 will be closed.

Hopefully this comes in handy to some of you guys, if you have any questions please let me know.

Cheers

Shawn

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    • Love Love x 3
  2. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs

Ratings:
    +788
    Updated the timings in the start up script, download link in original post updated.

If you are finding the screens aren't always going transparent, increase the timing in the script.

3. Jockey

Jockey

Ratings:
    +119
    Thank you very much!

You are awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stéphane Perrin

Stéphane Perrin
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2
    How can I change the windows position ?

5. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs

Ratings:
    +788
    To change the position you need to have the title bar visible, so if you open z1 normally, go into the menu, and set title bar to full or thin, close z1 and again reopen it normally, you can then move it around and resize. Then just set title bar back to none.

• Like Like x 1