As a Dutch F1 fan I can only say the problem that I had with the penalty is the inconsistency of the stewards.
There is an inconsistency because you want to see one.

If there really was something Red Bull would have set a reclamation.
There is no reclamation, end point!

It's just a tentativ of intoxication. Not really something fair play.

As a Dutch F1 fan I can only say the problem that I had with the penalty is the inconsistency of the stewards. You always gain an advantage when driving over the lines or when cutting a corner. If you do so while overtaking an other car does not matter. So IMO penalize all the drivers who don't respect the track limits or don't penalize them at all. For the race. It was very enjoyable to watch al lot of action. And for Verstappen. Even with his 4th place he did a great job.
There's no inconsistency. Whiting told the drivers during the weekend that track extending would be okay for most cases where the gain is a mere few hundredths of a second. Track extending does not imply corner cutting. They are not one and the same, especially when combined with overtaking in a place where you otherwise wouldn't have. That's why Verstappen's cut has nothing to do with 99% of the other cases that weekend - the only one in any way relevant is Sainz doing the same cut, but he backed out and did not overtake and thus did not gain an advantage.

Webber is employed by Red Bull and is thus not worth taking seriously. He was also never a good driver and cared more about his own ego than anything else, hence why he's so blindly supportive of the show. The last part applies to Rosberg as well in fact.

Because Pastor's teammate that year was Bruno Senna...? I know he was terrible and completely forgettable, but damn.
lol
Hell yeah, I completely forget about that bloke, you're right.
I thought, and I've find it quite surreal:D that you compare our guy Maldonado with that ...greatness, the one and only - Ayrton.
Yeah, I know, I should know better right from the start. Sorry. :D

If you look at the picture shown (@1:59 - 2:40) during this interview, you clearly see Max exceeding the kerbs with 4 wheels which is offially a cut.
A lot of people see things the way they want it to see, but not as it is which is a lack of objectivity.

Btw, if I would've been Kimi, I'd blocked the inside of the turn and gave Max absolutely no chance to overtake short before the chequered flag.

His best lap (1 minute 39.979 seconds) was faster than Kvyat's best of 1 minute 40.971. In fact, Hartley regularly managed faster lap times over the final 15 laps.
After the 2nd pitstop Hartley got fresh SS tyres against pretty used set of softs for Kvyat. Yes, you are biased. ;)

What about common sense?

Do the Verstappen army really believe what they are saying?

People seem to think that the decision to penalise Verstappen was 'inconsistent'.

Inconsistent with what?

Show me all the other decisions where one driver 'undertook' another driver by cutting a corner where the driver was not penalised.

The petulant backlash coming from the Verstappens and being supported by Red Bull is astonishing to me.
Fact check before you make your self look dumb
https://i.redd.it/rm0zmu0nbgtz.jpg

He's not making himself look dumb.............:rolleyes:.
I'm pretty sure Ears is referring to this race where nothing similar happened. There have been 6 occasions so far this season that a 5 second penalty has been awarded for leaving the track/gaining an advantage. And all to various drivers.

Last edited:
It is the sheer inconsistent decisions of the stewards. That is the whole point. ;)

They were not inconsistent at all. In fact, this was the ONLY race in 30 years where they got everything right on track limits...from P1 to Race Finsih. You have to step back a second to realize why we are here in the first place. We are here because F1 forced track owners and designers (with money) to design track for their cars. At the same time, draconian (or "entirely reasonable" depending on your age) safety measures were forced on track owners in order to stay in F1. This led to desgns like COTA, which is virtually impossible to find in a series outside of F1 and also impossible to police. The FIA found this out the hard way in Hungary 2016. That was possibly worst stewarding I have ever seen in any race. After the debacle that was Hungary (even if you just look at *one* of the bad judgments for that weekend - tack limits - it's a complete failure), the FIA probably said "we can't let that happen again." So, we saw Red Bull later that year. Personally, I liked that approach best -- you have two choices driver...stay on the black or destroy your car. Some chose to destroy their car. Fair enough. But nobody went wide.

COTA is a track that never would have been designed but for F1 controlling every step of new track development, and arguing for 14.4 miles of pavement runoffs because of "safety concerns" -- the last refuge of scoundrels. Combine that with a bunch of non-racing pretty boys that watch every weekend and you have a "racing equals soccer" mentality. Only it doesn't. Watch any series, any track, any driver, any weekend, and you will find many many "cuts" that were unintentional and didn't gain an advantage. What people most often forget is this -- if everyone including the FIA, drivers, Charlie Whiting, and God himself (Ted at Sky) know and agree that turns 9 and 20 are designed in a way as to naturally allow a car to run wide in 2017 (not 2016) then that's what we are going to do. We aren't going to ever again get into a situation where we hand out Codemasters-like warnings then time penalties, or do like Hungary and *say* you get 10 (whatever) warnings and then completely ignore our own rule at the end of the race (looking at you Max) when it matters most.

What most modern day F1 fans don't get is that F1 is not the norm in racing. It's the exception. And so, they can either argue that they are so different and special that they need their own special "racing rules" to police drivers like a video game or play by the same rules that have been with us since Indianapolis and Rouen. However, my point is simple -- they are all professionals. They are all well paid. They all (as Sky announced even) knew the limits and they all agreed to break them in places, which they all did. Nobody can "gain an advantage" (the second part of the rule that most forget) if everyone agrees that either certain corners were okay to run wide (COTA 2017) or the track limit is defined as "whatever you can get away with" (IndyCar 2017, Watkins Glen), so the result is still the same when...

A driver that decides to overtake for 3rd, another driver (former World Champion, who clearly could have taken the same liberties himself) on the last lap, with the world watching, and then tries to blame the illegal move on the very liberties that the FIA and other drivers all agreed would be allowed. :laugh: Are people starting to understand why the rest of the paddock hates this guy? He's not bold. He's not fast. He's not aggressive. He's dangerous and stupidly arrogant. And now, he's making the FIA look bad, which I'm all for, and should be done regularly, but not in this case.

We will never hear, from Max, the kind of response that KMag gave when asked about his blocking during qualifying, where he admitted his error, and blamed himself, despite his team telling him Perez was on an out lap. Max is one giant distraction from the real shock talent -- Carlos Sainz. If F1 operated on the basis of statistics and logic instead of money and popularity, Carlos would be in the Red Bull seat instead of Max.

The reason Kimi didn't notice or care about Max's move is the very reason people love him -- he could care less about rules, and would prefer that it was a massive fist fight, in which case Mr. Verstappen would be in big trouble. Kimi sees this stuff as drivel, which it is. I'm sure his default position is like the rest of the racing community -- what track limits? It's only a limit of I get caught. lol.

Last edited:

At the risk of making myself appear more dumb ...

This is lap 49. It's Sainz and Ocon.

7lnqVw7V2mhvOL7XVc_YheD4-Nup1tZwat278m58DZ0.jpg

According to this lap chart, from the FIA, Sainz did not overtake Ocon on lap 49.

17-usa-lap-chart.png

So I can only assume that, if he did gain an advantage from that track position, he gave the place back.

At the risk of making myself appear more dumb ...

This is lap 49. It's Sainz and Ocon.

7lnqVw7V2mhvOL7XVc_YheD4-Nup1tZwat278m58DZ0.jpg

According to this lap chart, from the FIA, Sainz did not overtake Ocon on lap 49.

17-usa-lap-chart.png

So I can only assume that, if he did gain an advantage from that track position, he gave the place back.
And this is Silverstone 2017 I think........But if I am wrong I am wrong. Oh I'm wrong....:notworthy::notworthy:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back