Use your "old" Gerforce 8 or above series as Physx card if you bought a new ATI card

Sorry Marcel but don't do this! This is very stupid idea.
1. You need Windows 7 or XP for dual drivers
2. You need lower drivers then 170 (or 180 I am not sure), because nVidia has stopped with supporting this stuff
3. Even communication between AMD and nVidia card is weird and not 100% reliable...
4. Power of both cards will get less then before
5. You need really good motherboard (and expensive) for this
6. Behavior of both cards is unpredictable (then you need better power source.. you never know what can happen)

Except AMD Hybrid system...
I really can't advise this one... if you want to have DX11 and PhysX and these stuffs wait for nVidia Fermi... anyway I don't see further in PhysX

For me it's not stupid at all, in my opinion it is more stupid not to use an old card for this. It works very well and sure you need a good other hardware, my corsair PS can handle it easily.

I am not saying we all need to do this, I just brought a nice idea to try out for some who have these cards and not use it anymore because they own a ATI now.

oeps that's almost 200 pages to read Marcel.....

can you give me the headlights :wink:

i have Q6600 @ 3ghz
Asus P5KC
4 gb
ATI HD4890
Nvidia GT8600
850watt powersupply

Which driver(s) can i use for the best, and OS Windows 7 or XP?
Do i connect those 2 cards with crosfire?

being a total noob at stuff like this and tried to read some of the teccy info, but it all just goes over my head lol

i don`t have a spare nVidia card but might be tempted to get one, but would it be worth while buying a nVidia card just for this or be better getting another ATI card to conect to my 4890?

see my sig for current PC specs

thx :)

no, just buy a old used nvidia card above GT8500 because these cards use PhysX

The Nvidia card must be put in the second PCI-e slot, without being connect to youre primary card

The (extra) effects are amazing. Search / look @ you tube on "PhysX" "on/off" and see the difference
Only you have to have Windows XP or 7, because they can handle multi-GPU's

Just a cheap second hand 8500 will work fine. But only in games that use PhysX. GTR evo or other Simbin products, don't use it. You will see your 3DMark Vantage scores go much better also, see my screenshots/

I will build a new pc this week, I just bought all components and then I will use my old 8800GTS in my new system next to my ATI HD5850.

yes thats right about Dirt 2 and PhysX.

But for me, i've just made the step from nvidia to Ati, and i can tell you that Nvidia makes the SIMBIN Race-games more smoother. The smoke from the tyres, the rain and the dust, it was more realistic then Ati does now (for 4xxxx serie). The cars drove more over the circuit instead of flying. It seems that the cars has no contact with the tarmac with the Ati grapic card(s).

Isn't that all about physics?

no, i already have tried that.

The card most put into the primary slot (16x). The otherone is 16x + 8x or something. Anyway; the card doesn't work.

I only have to put a smaller cooler on the HD4890. This one takes almost 3 pci slots.
Whahahahahahahaa. but it's a very quite one..:)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%