USB Hub VS PCIE USB expansion?

I have been reading around and have seen people recommend USB hubs and they said it’s fine for sim racing. But some people also said they can cause some power issues etc.

Interestingly, someone suggested PCIE expansions. But I could’t really find a comparison between the two for sim racing.

I am just worried that the PCIE expansions cards could damage my PC. Because the ones I have found locally can cost low as $3 and an average price of $8-10. I may be paranoid.

Atm I use neither as I dont need them however.....
Ive used both. Youre not paranoid. Be careful with the PCI cards. Ive had one set fire, and two melt the power wires, and one that just smelled burnt after about a month of use.

Those 4 experiences have drove me away from those type forever. Ill use a hub if I ever have a need for more ports.

Upvote 0
Atm I use neither as I dont need them however.....
Ive used both. Youre not paranoid. Be careful with the PCI cards. Ive had one set fire, and two melt the power wires, and one that just smelled burnt after about a month of use.

Those 4 experiences have drove me away from those type forever. Ill use a hub if I ever have a need for more ports.

That is very interesting, the worst I thought of was potentially damaging your motherboard, not a chance of burning your house down. Were they specifically USB expansions or something else?

I actually have a usb hub at my office, but mostly used for charging and wireless mouse and keyboard. It’s from Phillips too, and it has its own power source as well. But it sometimes acts weird with it not detecting some of the ports. I don’t know if I got unlucky with a faulty one or thats just the nature of hubs. Which is why I am skeptical of which to use.

I am building a new proper sim rig that probably need 5+ usb ports just for the racing stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It depends on your needs. I use both. Buy good cards from reputable sources.

If you have high connectivity needs, and low bandwidth...then a hub will be the better choice. One USB cable going from the rig for all the little usb gaming devices. If you've got a high-bandwidth need, such as a VR headset or a streaming camera, etc....then a dedicated connection to the PC is highly recommended, though a separate USB controller. Sometimes motherboard USB ports will share a single USB controller. So, it isn't always clear how the MB USB ports are sharing USB bandwidth. In that case a dedicated PCIe card is the best solution.

Halt and catch fire should not be a significant concern. Again, buy quality cards from reputable sources. If it seems too cheap to be true, it probably is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use PCIe cards for USB, SATA and NVMe expansion, acquired from Amazon or Newegg,
avoiding any with recent strings of poor reviews.
Be aware that PC motherboards may have more USB controllers
than are cabled out to case jacks, so may be available by adding appropriate cabling.
I favor cases with 5.25 drive access, both for DVD and adding USB ports.
Although more crucial with USB 2 controllers, distributing high bandwidth USB devices
across multiple USB controllers is one consideration against funneling everything thru a hub.

I own some older USB devices that work better via USB 2 hubs than directly to USB 3 sockets.

Upvote 0
I have this USB hub in my cockpit with a 1,5 m cable and male connector. In my motherboard I have another 1,5 m cable, this one with a female connector. When I want to use my cockpit, I unroll the cable and plug both ends (together with 2 audio cables for my bodyshakers). I have everything connected to the hub (steering wheel, pedals, shifter, handbrake, button box, controllers, etc.). I only had problems once, but I found out the problem was with one of the cables. After replacing it, it has always worked flawlessly.

Upvote 0
This might help clear up some things on USB in general

Yep. That's a good summary. Once upon a time, I spent several years as a BIOS Engineer in the HP Workstation division. It has always been a mess... sometimes with MB ports all cascading from the same 1 or 2 root hubs. Device manager can sometimes help sort out what connects where, if you use the "view devices by connection" instead of the default "...by type".

Upvote 0
I've had great luck with this. It has a decent power supply to handle any power concerns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 152 86.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 28 16.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 62 35.4%